March 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Did the federal or state government completely end trash pick up along the freeways? We drove up to Bellingham and back and there is an extraordinary amount of trash along all 3 freeways were used... the worst being I-5. I have never seen it even close to this bad here.

Is this the result of bad weather or maybe Trump? Its looks terrible.

Definitely Trump

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Did the federal or state government completely end trash pick up along the freeways? We drove up to Bellingham and back and there is an extraordinary amount of trash along all 3 freeways were used... the worst being I-5. I have never seen it even close to this bad here.

Haven't noticed that here.

Sounds like a local issue. Or maybe the Russians are behind it.

A forum for the end of the world.

Rain finally stopped so I decided to uncover the BBQ for the first time in months...then the wind decided to pick up to I would say gusts near 40 which keeps blowing out my flames. I need summer...stat!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I've noticed the same thing lately. All up and down SR 14, SR 500 and I-205 down here.

I'm assuming it might be weather related. Maybe resources that usually go towards trash pickup were alotted elsewhere. It definitely looks ugly.

I guess the ultimate solution could be if people stopped chucking it from their cars like idiots. But I won't hold my breath.

I have noticed the trash issue getting worse over the last year, even when there is a wreck there are bumpers, headlights, etc just left on the side of the freeway. Can't the DOT or tow company's spend an extra 1 minute and pick up those items as well?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Sounds like it's still March in your neck of the woods.

I want it to be July...now.

March and April are my least favorite months.

That's just typical western wa for you. I see trash all over the place when I drive along I-5. It has gotten worse. Especially all the homeless camps near Seattle

That's just typical western wa for you. I see trash all over the place when I drive along I-5. It has gotten worse. Especially all the homeless camps near Seattle

It's typically pretty good actually. There is something going on making it worse than usual, for whatever reason.

Also, I don't usually count living people trying to survive as trash.

I imagine you with your arms crossed stomping your foot on the "now". Maybe wearing a tiara too. Jury's out on that one.

Oh crap, sorry I forgot to send you your Tiara back after you let me borrow it after your summer heat tizzy's!
  • Like 1

It's typically pretty good actually. There is something going on making it worse than usual, for whatever reason.

Well... those people generate an incredible amount of trash and human waste.   And live in horrifically unsanitary conditions... and outdoors next to freeways breathing endless exhaust fumes.   We are doing a horrible job as a society taking care of them... many of whom have mental illnesses.  

We did not drive through Seattle... so I was not referring to that situation.   I was referring to what you mentioned which is idiots throwing trash out of their car windows... and for some reason the usual process in place for cleaning it up is not happening.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Oh crap, sorry I forgot to send you your Tiara back after you let me borrow it after your summer heat tizzy's!

I was completely out of control. Made November 2006 Tim and any time it's raining Mossman look like saints!

You can hold onto it though. Something tells me I might not need it this summer, and it's probably all rusted now anyway.

In Oregon highway trash pick up is usually done by chain gangs.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Well... those people generate an incredible amount of trash and human waste. And live in horrifically unsanitary conditions... and outdoors next to freeways breathing endless exhaust fumes. We are doing a horrible job as a society taking care of them... many of whom have mental illnesses.

We did not drive through Seattle... so I was not referring to that situation. I was referring to what you mentioned which is idiots throwing trash out of their car windows... and for some reason the usual process in place for cleaning it up is not happening.

I agree that we do an awful job as a society taking care of them. And I knew that's not what you were referring to.

I was completely out of control. Made November 2006 Tim and any time it's raining Mossman look like saints!

You can hold onto it though. Something tells me I might not need it this summer, and it's probably all rusted now anyway.

2006 Tim will go down in the history books without a doubt, I'm sure he will even admit that haha! I think Matt is really the only member that hasn't had a meltdown...yet!
  • Like 1

2006 Tim will go down in the history books without a doubt, I'm sure he will even admit that haha! I think Matt is really the only member that hasn't had a meltdown...yet!

Every day is just a very low grade midlife crisis for him.

• Like 1

Thanks Jesse! Glad to be here. I work with IbrChris at, well, Ibr (now called Avangrid).

I heard the first robin of spring two days ago in Portland. Last year, the first robin I heard was on Valentine's Day, and that was in Seattle. With such a cold winter, the birds are definitely coming in a little later.

• Like 1

Blue state.

The government will pick it up for us.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Blue state.

We should let the private sector handle it instead. Maybe then there will eventually be so much trash in the Puget Sound that you will be able to drive from island to island on rafts of beer cans and old couch cushions. Finally the wasteful state ferry system could be abolished!

I wasn't suggesting that homeless people were inferior. But the City of Seattle should not allow people to live under freeways. It is quite a dangerous situation and it is out of control. Obviously made much worse by the growing inequality in  King County. 

• Like 1

We should let the private sector handle it instead. Maybe then there will eventually be so much trash in the Puget Sound that you will be able to drive from island to island on rafts of beer cans and old couch cushions. Finally the wasteful state ferry system could be abolished!

Those ferries burn a lot of fossil fuels carrying democrats back and forth. I think you're on to something...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I'm excited for "thunderstorm season" if you can call it that. I've actually only heard thunder/seen lightning once in the two years I've lived in Bellingham (like three flashes total), which is pretty sad.

That's one thing we do better than Bellingham. Most years we have a good number of thunderstorm days. Every few years we get one or more really good storms.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I wasn't suggesting that homeless people were inferior. But the City of Seattle should not allow people to live under freeways. It is quite a dangerous situation and it is out of control. Obviously made much worse by the growing inequality in  King County.

Seattle really has turned into a cesspool. A guy I work with is from West Seattle and he always has stories about the riff raff getting out of control there. Out in this area there is none of that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Blue state.

For years it was taken care of by the adopt a highway program. I'm not sure what happened to that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'd love to have seen November 1985. It's amazing that Seattle could have seen such a long period of cold with two big snowstorms in November, I never saw anything quite like that when I lived there, even in December or January.

It was incredible. Deep snow, lots of clear / cold weather with snow on the ground, multiple snow events, days on end of temps below freezing. Best month I've seen here and it was freeking November!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like the sun is really dead this time. x-ray flux down to A0.0 and the radio flux down to 70. That's getting into rock bottom territory.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9