April 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Actually no. As someone with an interest in geology I was legitimately curious what you meant.

The ones you are talking about are composite (strato) volcanoes, not shield volcanoes. Although it's hard to tell with Thielsen and Three Fingered Jack since they have both been deeply eroded by glaciers, leaving behind only the hardest rock in a "horn" or spire.

Thielsen actually has the nickname "lightning rod of the Cascades", and it lives up to it. On top of its peak you can actually find fulgurites within the rock, which are fused glass like tubes caused by repeated encounters with electrical storms.

Interesting. So how would you break down the 5-10 non stratovolcanoes in Oregon? Also which category would you put Glacier peak into? The abundance and variety of volcanoes in Oregon is actually one of the few areas where I would give a geography preference to Oregon over Washington.

Pretty watered down ridge... and the ECMWF is now much wetter for Saturday. All good. October is getting closer. :)

Only 8 weeks until the days start getting shorter. :)

Interesting. So how would you break down the 5-10 non stratovolcanoes in Oregon? Also which category would you put Glacier peak into? The abundance and variety of volcanoes in Oregon is actually one of the few areas where I would give a geography preference to Oregon over Washington.

There are a lot more than 5-10 non-stratovolcanoes. Countless cinder cones and shield volcanoes. Then you have fault-block ranges like Steens Mountain, and former island groups scraped onto the edge of an ancestral shoreline (called exotic terranes) like the Wallowas and Siskiyous.

Washington's geology is a whole other ball of wax. :)

• Like 1

There are a lot more than 5-10 non-stratovolcanoes. Countless cinder cones and shield volcanoes. Then you have fault-block ranges like Stevens Mountain, and former island groups scraped onto the edge of an ancestral shoreline (called exotic terranes) like the Wallowas and Siskiyous.

Please stick to weather.

Thanks in advance for your compliance.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Please stick to weather.

Thanks in advance for your compliance.

Geology and climate are two limbs of the same body.

• Like 1

The position of our mountain ranges have a direct affect on our climate.

On the other hand, the NBA and the PNA have little affect on each other. :)

You have any idea how much fossil fuels are burned as a result of professional sports?

• Like 2

You have any idea how much fossil fuels are burned as a result of professional sports?

That usually isn't the topic of discussion when sports are brought up here, though. It seems usually to be more about living vicariously through or having silly mancrushes on a bunch of overpaid men in their 20s, most of whom aren't even from the cities they are playing for. :)

There are a lot more than 5-10 non-stratovolcanoes. Countless cinder cones and shield volcanoes. Then you have fault-block ranges like Stevens Mountain, and former island groups scraped onto the edge of an ancestral shoreline (called exotic terranes) like the Wallowas and Siskiyous.

Washington's geology is a whole other ball of wax. :)

Look's like I poked a hornet's nest with this one. Anyway, my point was that there is a lot more stuff to ski in June that's above treelike in Oregon.

That usually isn't the topic of discussion when sports are brought up here, though. It seems usually to be more about living vicariously through or having silly mancrushes on a bunch of overpaid men in their 20s, most of whom aren't even from the cities they are playing for. :)

I get mancrushes on professional athletes, but I am gay. What is Matt's excuse? :P

• Like 2

Of course it's not. Most of us aren't too snobby and self-important to enjoy them for what they are.

• Like 1

I do too Kyle. :)

May frost has happened in Salem many times. Right now, our next best shot at a cool night looks like Friday night. Wouldn't surprise me for some valley locations to get down in the 30s by Saturday morning.

What are some good May's to look up? (for chilly patterns) We live near Stayton and tend to be a chilly spot.....when it's clear and calm.

What are some good May's to look up? (for chilly patterns)

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Why would people complain about the rain when its not rainy there?   

I am sure if Seattle had your weather... there would no complaints around here either.   But that is far from the case.

Now sitting at 13 days without significant rain here after another ridiculously sunny day; at least Saturday still looks promising. From the web cam pictures people have posted in here it looks like April has seen a fair amount of sun even in Seattle. Sounds like the best of both worlds, they still get to enjoy the sun and have a nice buffer going into the dry season.

• Like 1

Now sitting at 13 days without significant rain here after another ridiculously sunny day; at least Saturday still looks promising. From the web cam pictures people have posted in here it looks like April has seen a fair amount of sun even in Seattle. Sounds like the best of both worlds, they still get to enjoy the sun and have a nice buffer going into the dry season.

I heard from my son that we had torrential rain and 4 rounds of hail. At least the rain was focused where it was so desperately needed.

(grandparents are staying with the kids)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I heard from my son that we had torrential rain and 4 rounds of hail. At least the rain was focused where it was so desperately needed.

(grandparents are staying with the kids)

Beats drought. Your area dodged a bullet getting in on the convergence action while other areas were stuck with sun. Some places around Everett had more rain just today than we've had the entire month; talk about winning big.

Beats drought. Your area dodged a bullet getting in on the convergence action while other areas were stuck with sun. Some places around Everett had more rain just today than we've had the entire month; talk about winning big.

Crisis averted! 80 inches of rain since October screams drought. I assume SEA is in a severe drought now after being out of the c-zone today. Tragic.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

They'll probably be fine, they've been spared the worst of the Olympic shadow this month. A dry May/June would be more of a concern for them.

It would be seriously scary if we entered a slightly drier pattern as we enter summer.

Prayers are needed.