January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

I come from the Canadian forums on Saturday nights with popcorn in hand just to watch the fights on here. :blink:

Our winter has been so boring that infighting is the only source of entertainment available. If some cold air doesn't arrive soon, you'll need to get a Costco sized crate of popcorn.

We keep moving in the right direction. Very curious about what comes next. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Best to go with freedom units on this occasion. Southern BC has actually done reasonably well this winter so far.

Well approx. 15cm or 6 inches. so far this season but as usual seems never enough when it comes to snow of course the bad ice storm last week, lots of broken branches but evergreens are very resilient and regain there shape.

Just so everyone knows.  I haven't changed my mind, but I'm taking a break tonight.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

0z ECMWF Day 5

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_6.png

That comes so close to getting interesting.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Well approx. 15cm or 6 inches. so far this season but as usual seems never enough when it comes to snow of course the bad ice storm last week, lots of broken branches but evergreens are very resilient and regain there shape.

We had a crippling ice storm down here earlier this year. I believe the city and county declared the cleanup was completed in late July. Ice storms are the worst.

Day 10 - I would say all eyes on the system for Thursday which previous runs have also shown gusty to strong wind potential. This I believe is the first run to show a wind storm scenario. It looks like 140-150kt exit jet support slams into the Oregon Coast, so this looks possible.

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/ecmwf/2018010700/240/500h_anom.na.png

• Like 1

Quiz time: being Canadian I spent more time as a kid watching the Seattle t.v. meteorologists than Canadian Ray Ramsey, Harry Wappler can't recall King t.v's at the time so the question is what was Ray Ramseys trademark? what did MOS mean?

Snow snifters!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Guest El nina

Still a ways away but it could be damaging if it verifies or comes in even stronger.

I have 10 big Douglas firs on the southern border of my yard with perfect capability of hitting my house or shop. It always scares me when it gets super windy from the south, I'll take a pass.

I have 10 big Douglas firs on the southern border of my yard with perfect capability of hitting my house or shop. It always scares me when it gets super windy from the south, I'll take a pass.

Scariest experience I had with trees in a windstorm?  When I lived in Eugene, one time the power went out with a loud bang and when I walked down the street, some trees had been uprooted and were leaning heavily on a power line directly above the sidewalk.  Definitely had to detour myself around that one...

• Like 1

Nope; More of the Same.

Oh yeah I had no idea on that one, I just remember my dad saying that Ray Ramsey would say “snow snifters” a lot.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Oh yeah I had no idea on that one, I just remember my dad saying that Ray Ramsey would say “snow snifters” a lot.

Yes, of course back then they didn't have the green screen behind them he had a 4 sided chalk board with huge piece of chalk. We even had a t.v. caster up here that used chalk and a chalk board with a map on it.

• Like 1

Did anyone growing up have a cable community channel with weather instruments and would sneak into the living room at night to watch them during a snow or cold weather event. Ours did up in Vancouver B.C. back in the late 60's early 70's they were the dial type. Then about the mid 70's they changed to a digital board read out that was cool. 

• Like 1