January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

When was the last Niña three-peat?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

It is indeed the next wishcaster's window. MLK is starting to become too real.

Felt like we were losing the spark post holiday, happy to help!!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Was it like Feb 2014?

That is a TOTAL insult to 1989!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah, I remember noticing that awhile back. Most low points in the solar cycle the past century have featured multiple Ninas.

There almost has to be a relationship there.  Besides that almost every cycle has a Nino JUST after the cycle hits bottom.  Then of course you have the fact we have seen at least one and in most cases two good winters right at the bottom of the cycle for the past three cycles.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That is a TOTAL insult to 1989!

So there was a foot of snow in Tillamook with that one?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Not sure, but it was one of the top 5 blasts of the 20th century.  I know there was some snow there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow!

I just saw the daily stats for SEA today and I noticed they had 3 inches of snow on Jan 1 last year.  I so totally purged that from my mind I thought the climate page was in error.  I must have been really peeved on that one. :lol:

How weird is that?  Snow on New Years last winter and on Christmas this winter!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow!

I just saw the daily stats for SEA today and I noticed they had 3 inches of snow on Jan 1 last year.  I so totally purged that from my mind I thought the climate page was in error.  I must have been really peeved on that one. :lol:

How weird is that?  Snow on New Years last winter and on Christmas this winter!

That was a great event here.    And the c-zone got stuck over SEA but never moved into your area and you reported the next day that you had been throwing things in anger.   

It was also a case where you thought the cold air was roaring in... but it was not.    You overestimate cold air speed and penetration more than the MM5 models and they always overestimate it.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4" of snow and a 17F/9F day there. PDX pulled off a 15F/9F day and SLE had almost 9" of snow.

Much greater region wide event.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

That was a great event here.    And the c-zone got stuck over SEA but never moved into your area and you reported the next day that you had been throwing things.   

It was also a case where you thought the cold air was roaring in... but it was not.    You overestimate cold air penetration more than the MM5 models and they always overestimate it.   

Check the diary?

A forum for the end of the world.

If nothing else, at least it looks like this winter will continue to be blocky for the foreseeable future. I think the Jan 2006 fears can be dismissed now.

Already more dry days this month than in January 2006... we will be up to 1 at midnight!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Check the diary?

I remember that event very clearly.   And I remember thinking he was crazy on New Years Eve last year with his talk of cold air roaring in... when it was clearly going to be limping in slowly.   And that is the reason that I made the point about this past Saturday when he said the ECMWF was completely wrong with the entire wind field and the low had tracked south and cold air was roaring in... of course we had southerly winds all of the next day and a high of 48.   <_>

Check the diary?

And remember... this forum is our diary.  :)    That was an epic meltdown by Jim.  He actually left the forum 12 days later and posted a topic on it...

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/1492-im-leaving-the-forum-for-a-while/

The 0Z says it's going to be late January at the earliest if we are going to have more winter.

Its the first day of the month... how many times do we really know what will happen the entire month on the first day?

00z GEM is verydifferent than GFS after day 6. The trough energy it cut-off off well to the south with a much stronger ridge/near block offshore by day 8

There are a couple of fine details that end up having huge consequences early in week two.  A good outcome can't be ruled out.  Assuming the GFS is correct, however, it once again shows sharply dropping WPO late in the run with a big ULL moving toward the Kamchatka area.  We may only have a short period of crap to deal with regardless.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 0Z says it's going to be late January at the earliest if we are going to have more winter.

Even the GFS would suggest something starting to come together by week 3.  That would be about right if the ECMWF is right about the MJO being in octant 5 by the 15th to the 20th.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's not looking bad thus far. Though that January was very warm in the northern plains and upper Midwest. I'll be surprised if this one turns out that way.

It sure hasn't been coming up as an analog in any way I have looked at it. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Its the first day of the month... how many times do we really know what will happen the entire month on the first day?

I was just saying if the 0Z is correct we will be looking at the last week of the month for anything good to develop.  Sure it can change and hopefully it does.

That was a great event here.    And the c-zone got stuck over SEA but never moved into your area and you reported the next day that you had been throwing things in anger.   

It was also a case where you thought the cold air was roaring in... but it was not.    You overestimate cold air speed and penetration more than the MM5 models and they always overestimate it.   

I don't doubt it.  It is truly amazing how clearly I wiped that from my memory.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I was just saying if the 0Z is correct we will be looking at the last week of the month for anything good to develop.  Sure it can change and hopefully it does.

If the GFS is correct it has been advertising the central Pacific ridge late in the run after the Aleutian low sets in for a short time.  That's step number 1 to getting the goods here...assuming it doesn't fool us and go straight into something good early in week two.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It is common for people with PTSD to wipe their memory clean. We have all experienced trauma in recent years 

We have had a couple of victories also...thank goodness!

What you say is almost scary though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Things can (and frequently do) completely change and go in a totally different direction once you get beyond 7 days.

It's not looking bad thus far. Though that January was very warm in the northern plains and upper Midwest. I'll be surprised if this one turns out that way.

Yeah, I don't think that's happening for the upper Midwest. Not with what looks like a frigid first 10 days of the month for them. Would have to be some serious torching the second half of the month to overcome such negative departures.

http://prism.nacse.org/inc/images/graphics/comparisons/monthly/tmean/viewable/PRISM_tmean_stable_4kmM2_anomaly_200101.png?ts=201811

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah, I remember noticing that awhile back. Most low points in the solar cycle the past century have featured multiple Ninas.

Yeah, note how the system tends to enter into a niño state towards the end of solar minimum, followed by a more prolonged niña stretch to open the next solar cycle, almost like a negative feedback of sorts (to the radiative forcing).

jwJzkWA.jpg

It is common for people with PTSD to wipe their memory clean. We have all experienced trauma in recent years 

Are you comparing freaking out over the weather to living through military combat?      :lol:

Things can (and frequently do) completely change and go in a totally different direction once you get beyond 7 days.

Beyond 3-4 days for that matter this season.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah, I don't think that's happening for the upper Midwest. Not with what looks like a frigid first 10 days of the month for them. Would have to be some serious torching the second half of the month to overcome such negative departures.

http://prism.nacse.org/inc/images/graphics/comparisons/monthly/tmean/viewable/PRISM_tmean_stable_4kmM2_anomaly_200101.png?ts=201811

January 2001 had a pretty chilly start in the East. Pattern sputtered out and went into blandsville pretty fast though.

The current pattern over North America is like a tiny version of the last glacial maximum. Giant, bone dry upper level high over Alaska, swath of vodka cold over Canada and the Northern US. ☃️☃️☃️☃️

AGAdxXV.jpg