January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

Dry patterns are almost always chilly in the winter. Its not surprising or unexpected that it would be chilly when half the days or more have been dry since the start of meteorological winter. Particularly in notoriously stagnant places like OLM.

I should remind everyone that Atlanta barely made it above freezing today!

Dry patterns are almost always chilly in the winter.    Its not surprising or unexpected that it would be chilly when half the days or more have been dry since the start of meteorological winter.   Particularly in notoriously stagnant places like OLM.

You ought to write travel brochures

As far as I can tell, the closest -ENSO pattern matches to these first 7-10 days of January are: 1962, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1996, and 2014.

Lot of mixed signals as far as how the rest of January might go, but the overall theme seemed to be blockiness alternating between Alaska, just offshore, and over the west coast. Generally drier than normal. Higher than normal chance of Arctic air late month into early February.

A forum for the end of the world.

The next few weeks don’t look all that chilly to me. Probably near average. To me it feels like we are building up a lot of “karma” right now, as you might call it, considering heights have generally been higher than average around here since the end of October or so.

In other words calling for a warmer last half of the month seems a little out of left field considering we will be pretty due for some solid troughing by then, IMO.

Persistence be persistin'...

Feels to me like if the snow globe is gonna finally get a really good shaking, a period of strong Aleutian/GOA troughing might take over for a bit. It's just as or even more overdue than western troughing.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Guest Dome Buster

Mark Nelsen was saying on the 5 o'clock news that a pattern shift is most likely setting up at day 8 with a more consolidated jet.   I know it is just a start but it would be better than this crap.

• Like 5

Mark Nelsen was saying on the 5 o'clock news that a pattern shift is most likely setting up at day 8 with a more consolidated jet. I know it is just a start but it would be better than this crap.

nothing like some zonal flow to lift spirits!

Mark Nelsen was saying on the 5 o'clock news that a pattern shift is most likely setting up at day 8 with a more consolidated jet.   I know it is just a start but it would be better than this crap.

Interesting he would say that. The EPS points to a brief period of troughing, but the pattern looks pretty progressive.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

27/25 here in Bend today. The fog we've had since last night has actually been squeezing out some light snow. Have had a dusting here all day with light snow continuing this evening off and on.

• Like 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

That is actually a nice chilly little trough on the GFS about a week out.  I continue to be encouraged by the looks of the pattern at the end of the run.  Trough digging off the coast of Asia and throwing up a Central Pacific ridge.  I hope something comes of that trough next week to tide us over.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The interesting thing about the pattern a week from now is if you didn't see the frames afterward it would be easy to imagine that pattern digging in and really getting us.  That outcome could still happen, but the models have been awfully insistent we are going to have a brief Aleutian low.  That may be for the best with the resultant pattern reset.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

@11:31 PM near west Gresham it's down to 34.8(2.5 degrees colder than this time last night), dewpoint 24.7, with east winds 35-45mph it's really roaring out there. Perfect night. I do see the cold air is intensifying a bit east of I-205 to western Gorge as well as a bit drier air mass now too.

The interesting thing about the pattern a week from now is if you didn't see the frames afterward it would be easy to imagine that pattern digging in and really getting us. That outcome could still happen, but the models have been awfully insistent we are going to have a brief Aleutian low. That may be for the best with the resultant pattern reset.

Hopefully it’s “brief”

184C50C0-79BA-43F9-870A-324AAB5C3B04.png

• Like 1

32 under high clouds this morning.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Looks like it was clear all night... moon is still shining through the window this morning as it starts to set.  

39 here right now... 36 at SEA.

Might make it to 50 out here today with sunshine.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**