2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Warm night where it was windy. Here are 5AM conditions in Oceanside area [these stations are within 5 miles of each other]

CAMP PENDLETON CLEAR     70  25  18 NE10G18   30.08                  
OCEANSIDE AP   CLEAR     46  32  58 E3        30.08S                 
OCEANSIDE HBR    N/A     69  29  22 NE9       30.10S                 

Wind is picking up like it often does in the evening. Several areas recorded minimums in the 70's yet maximums were generally cooler inland compared to windy areas along the coast.  Another night with open bedroom windows and pleasant breeze.  More like summer than winter in this bone dry year.

I feel the longer that this ridge holds on the more likely something is going to give in the long term. I just can't imagine getting completely shut out of rainfall the rest of this winter and spring.

If we don't get any more rain the rest of this season, then something in the overall pattern is really screwed up.

I feel the longer that this ridge holds on the more likely something is going to give in the long term. I just can't imagine getting completely shut out of rainfall the rest of this winter and spring.

If we don't get any more rain the rest of this season, then something in the overall pattern is really screwed up.

One storm in Jan, no storms in Dec. If we lose Feb than we have to count on a March miracle

Cirrus shield of sorts today; beautiful sunrise in San Diego

post-226-0-20423400-1517349948_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I was able to see the lunar eclipse from my window. I saw it at 4:49 AM, a few minutes before totality, around 5:30 AM during totality, and just before 6:20 AM when the partilly eclipsed moon sunk behind the house across the street in partial daylight. The rest of the time I was lying in bed lightly sleeping at times. An early evening eclipse would have been better, of course.

As for getting any good pictures with my phone, that was hopeless.

Last day of January and it's the 2nd warmest January on record, with only January 2003 being warmer. In June 2003, it was the gloomiest June ever for San Diego, however, at least during my lifetime, with a lower average high in June than January. That may have also been a La Nina year.

The Equation of Time has shifted by half an hour with solar noon at 12:04 PM today compared to 11:34 AM in early November. Today's sunrise and sunset are 6:47 AM and 5:21 PM. November 9 it was 6:17 AM and 4:51 PM. Half an hour gained in the evening without a switch back to Daylight Saving Time.

I believe the Arctic warming and ice melt is a major factor contributing to our crazy weather behavior here in CA as of late. I am beginning to believe the that rapid industrialization of China and Asia over the last 20 years has been sending massive amounts of black carbon and other emissions into the Arctic and elsewhere and that the black carbon is reducing the albedo and causing the ice to melt more and more every year. Also I have read that the black carbon emissions is warming the atmosphere as well. At the same time CO2 has been increasing, but I think the black carbon has been causing more of the warming in recent years.

Great shot of lunar eclipse taken at LA Arboretum this morning

Santa Anita

That is amazing! Wish I had gotten up to see it, but I probably would have had to driven out to the country (which I admittedly don't live far from, I'm on the edge of town) to be able to see it. Waking up at 5 for that wasn't on my bucket list.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

It was quite smoggy here in Orange this afternoon and evening. The pattern is so stagnant right now and doesn't seem to want to change in any meaningful way.

Low inversion; there was low fog at the coast this morning but enough of an offshore wind inland to produce good visibility. NWS_SD issued a fog advisory with this photo but I don't think it was taken this morning since the people are in swimsuits instead of wetsuits considering the ocean temps are in low 60's.

81/ 60

post-226-0-27225500-1517554578_thumb.jpg

Low inversion; there was low fog at the coast this morning but enough of an offshore wind inland to produce good visibility. NWS_SD issued a fog advisory with this photo but I don't think it was taken this morning since the people are in swimsuits instead of wetsuits considering the ocean temps are in low 60's.

81/ 60

The weak offshore flow inland and the weak onshore flow along the coast allowed all the pollution to pool up in the coastal and inland coastal areas. It was clearer here in Orange early this afternoon before I left for the Long Beach area where it was quite smoggy, and when I came back home just before it got dark, I noticed it was smoggier here as well.

I find these smoggy low inversion days quite depressing and I hate the weather patterns that lead to these type of days.

I am really dreading this upcoming spring and summer if we don't get any more rain this season. I believe we will be having some seriously hot weather in April and May and summer could be a real scorcher.

I don't think the amount of rain in the winter has much effect on the summer temperatures other than possibly allowing higher sea surface temperatures. The 1983 El Nino was one of the wettest years ever well into May, but was followed by one of the hottest summers ever. Also we had a reverse spring a few years ago.

I don't think the amount of rain in the winter has much effect on the summer temperatures other than possibly allowing higher sea surface temperatures. The 1983 El Nino was one of the wettest years ever well into May, but was followed by one of the hottest summers ever. Also we had a reverse spring a few years ago.

I am thinking more along the line with this high pressure (Hadley Cell subtropical high) continuing to dominate our weather going into the warm season leading to increased heat due to constant ridging.

Daniel Swain

"Incredible "stratocumulus-cane" in unusually warm, stable airmass off the coast of Southern California yesterday. @weatherdak previously noted this feature--likely a Von Kármán vortex shed by turbulent flow in the wind wake of an island--on satellite imagery. Wild photo!! #CAwxhttps://twitter.com/WXMegs/status/959626517474172928 "

post-226-0-45785200-1517682768_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am thinking more along the line with this high pressure (Hadley Cell subtropical high) continuing to dominate our weather going into the warm season leading to increased heat due to constant ridging.

The 2013-14 rain season produced a warm winter followed by warm/ hot spring. May was especially hot. Rain total: 6.19  :o

Warm winters don't necessarily mean warm Summers, especially down there. When I lived there I can think of multiple occasions where there was virtually no difference between Winter and Summer. Winter's weather was equivalent to that of May, and Summer's weather was equivalent to that of early June. I forget what Summer that was, but I remember an almost endless Marine layer.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Today 90's occurred in several areas on either side of the mountains that separate the coast from the desert. Without looking it up, I don't know how often Palm Springs or Phoenix top 90° in February or January. Winter heat near the coast is generally a result of subsiding air/ santa ana wind. The first two months of winter have had much above average temps; February is looking like continued anomalous warmth for a while.

83/ 60

The closer to the coast you are, the more likely you are to have winter days with highs well above average for the hottest part of summer. Last weekend UCI was close to 90 degrees. In May there is usually a strong and cold sea breeze and in July they are sometimes in the low 70s. San Francisco can have 70s in January and February and in July they can be entrenched in fog with temperatures in the upper 50s.