February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

12z UKMET showing heaviest precip near PDX Metro in the 6 hour period from 4pm to 10pm tonight. Then some more snow after that time period but heavier stuff moves south.

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/P1_GZ_D5_PN_012_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/P1_GZ_D5_PN_018_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/P1_GZ_D5_PN_024_0000.gif

at 8am at 29 degrees with light-mod snow snow is barely sticking to roads in scappoose this morning. Minimal impact on roads mid-day unless you get heavy snow

Yeah accumulations on the road here are pretty light compared to everything else. Temps are creeping up to 31F. Real show probably won't be until late afternoon. 

Looks like most models show snow for Western WA early on Friday night, changing to rain late Friday night/early Saturday morning, then changing back to snow later Saturday morning/early afternoon.

With some elevation (and luck) some places might be able to forego the precip change and remain snow, allowing for higher totals. Also, models are normally too quick in bringing the arctic air in but also too quick to scour it out.

Something to keep an eye on.

Yeah, definitely way too soon to throw in the towel for a nice event for those that don't score today.

At the same time, those insisting that any difference is negligible in Portland vs. Seattle cold/snow since 2012 will be looking even less empathetic after today.

A forum for the end of the world.

Looks like most models show snow for Western WA early on Friday night, changing to rain late Friday night/early Saturday morning, then changing back to snow later Saturday morning/early afternoon.

With some elevation (and luck) some places might be able to forego the precip change and remain snow, allowing for higher totals. Also, models are normally too quick in bringing the arctic air in but also too quick to scour it out.

Something to keep an eye on.

FWIW... the 12Z GFS shows chilly rain all weekend even for my area.    Looks like an ugly weekend on that run.   

It might start out as snow on Friday but it transitions quickly with onshore flow.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sun is trying to come out.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I’m sure tt location will bask in snow all weekend

No way.   

Here is Sunday from the 12Z GFS from the WB surface maps.   This is not even close to snow at my house.   Not that I will be there to see it anyways.  :)

gfs_6snow_slp_washington_23.png

gfs_t2max_washington_23.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Really beautiful out right now. Huge flakes are my favorite.

About to make the commute to Salmon Creek. Wish me luck guys!!! : /

Call in sick!   Enjoy the day.  :)

No way.

Here is Sunday from the 12Z GFS from the WB surface maps. This is not even close to snow at my house. Not that I will be there to see it anyways. :)

gfs_6snow_slp_washington_23.png

gfs_t2max_washington_23.png

Snowmizer said I was getting buried this weekend...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Switched to a light rain

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Tim picked the warmest map he could find. I just looked at all of them. WOW

Bullshit.

Alpine said my area would be "basking in snow" all weekend and that is just not true based on the 12Z GFS.    I wanted to demonstrate that point with the map from Sunday which clearly is rain for everyone below 2,000 feet.  

I am sure it will snow during the initial part of the system on Friday night into Saturday morning.  

Bullshit.

Alpine said my area would be "basking in snow" all weekend and that is just not true based on the 12Z GFS. I wanted to demonstrate that point with the map from Sunday which clearly is rain for everyone below 2,000 feet.

I am sure it will snow during the initial part of the system on Friday night into Saturday morning.

Why not wait until the 12z Euro and another run or two come out before making such a definitive statement....

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

But I thought you just said almost everyone will only see chilly rain? And no, it's not BS. Here is the actual 2-meter temperature from the same hour you posted before.

Don't you have a beach to go sit on somewhere?

Too early in the morning... its not even 8 a.m. here.    :)

And that map shows temps in the low 40s.    That is not accumulating snow below 2,000 feet.    

Thats doable for my gf and I, might have to do some research. What about Evergreen? Any recommendations?

Evergreen is about 30 min west of Denver, definitely in the hills and higher elevation than Boulder. It gets a TON of snow, probably around 150"/year, and it's a nice town in a beautiful area - lots of elk, bear and other wildlife. It's also less expensive than Boulder...you can get a decent SFR there for $400-$500k.

PM me if you'd like to know more.  :)

A forum for the end of the world.

Sun starting to come out here in Salem as the initial energy pulls away. The fiancé is heading up to Beaverton around noon. Told her if she leaves to head back around 4-5p she should be totally fine.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.