February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

What exactly should we be doing? Trust me I would love to see you guys score. I don’t see why that means we can’t enjoy it when we get snow. It’s pretty rare down here too....

Just don't pay attention when I'm like this.  I just feel like we have been cheated for years now with these things.  In reality you guys have been scoring with pretty much every cold snap.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jim and I like the same kind of spring weather.

Jim hates cold, wet, and gloomy weather in the spring.   You like that weather and would enjoy it all summer too.  

Most of us would find a sunny, cool spring to be very enjoyable which what Jim was describing.   But that seems much less likely than one that is cold and wet and very cloudy... which I think is the likely outcome for us in the April - June period. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

They did.

But Jesse is right that a very gloomy and wet spring could be in the cards this year... which is also fairly typical for the PNW.

Well, 2017 wasn't a typical spring either, as you repeatedly pointed out. Seems unlikely you'd see a repeat of that... probably something less gloomy and wet this spring.

A forum for the end of the world.

Jim and I like the same kind of spring weather.

April 1951 would be perfect IMO.  Lots of sun and frost almost every night.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Well, 2017 wasn't a typical spring either, as you repeatedly pointed out. Seems unlikely you'd see a repeat of that... probably something less gloomy and wet this spring.

Hell, February has already been much better than last year.

Cooler and drier overall is probably how it will go.

A forum for the end of the world.

April 1951 would be perfect IMO.  Lots of sun and frost almost every night.

That has to be the most beautiful April in our recorded history.  

It rained on 3 days that month in my area.   That is unbelievable.   Many warm days and chilly nights which means it was also a very sunny month.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Latest GFS ensemble shows 850s bottoming at around -11.5 for SEA Thursday morning. Incredible sustained 850s below -9 from Sunday through Friday morning with this event.

GFS ensembles keep us below average throughout the run too. Hopefully those nasty last few days of the Euro were an outlier.

Good lord...

I am honestly not trying to cause a stir.  Jim expresses extreme hatred for our typical gloomy and wet spring weather while you cheer loudly for that weather... you guys are very different in that regard.   That is just a fact.   

Almost all of us would enjoy a sunny, dry, cool spring.   You have been trolling me about spring for a couple months... and for good reason because I agree with you that it will probably be pretty bad for those who like lots of sun and dry weather.  

I would be in heaven with an April 1951.   3 days with rain and lots of sun?   Come on.   That is downright lovely regardless of the chilly nights.

Looks like it shows 2" for Portland tomorrow night.

We'll see about that, every time the PDX metro scores anything this season I keep getting left out in some crazy unexpected way by the tiniest of margins. 

I know you've had it even worse so all I can say is I definitely understand your pain. 

I get that. But any slider that is strong enough or takes the right track can deliver snow.

Today's system would have produced a Seattle snowstorm if it was either 1) 100 mi closer to the coast or 2) looped inland to the south of Seattle instead of staying offshore. Either scenario can happen with lows approaching from the NW.

It was not the Olympics that prevented meaningful snow in Seattle today.

The loop is what we’ve been missing all along. Low sliding down the coast and looping inland somewhere in central/south wa...

Did anyone score in December 2013? I just remember nothing but dry cold from the 2nd thru the 9th.

Was a bit of snow in some spots. Snowy ground led to negative temps in both Eugene and Tillamook

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Did anyone score in December 2013? I just remember nothing but dry cold from the 2nd thru the 9th.

Everyone south of Portland did. Eugene had 7"+. That's the last time I remember Portland really missing out on a nice snowfall while watching someone nearby get clobbered in a regional cold pattern. I.e. what you guys in Seattle are dealing with right now.  

I had a frosty Suburban on 12/6/13 and a snowy Suburban on 12/20/13!

001BC09F-D20F-4EFA-9D68-4B8226E847EF.jpeg

D95A5B6F-9110-4B6A-81FE-77650FDE602D.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I had a frosty Suburban on 12/6/13 and a snowy Suburban on 12/20/13!

Ah yes I forgot about the 20th. Decent overrunning event that gave me 2 inches and cancelled school. The last time I remember an overrunning event that was more than a couple inches was way back in January 2011. Long overdue!

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Ah yes I forgot about the 20th. Decent overrunning event that gave me 2 inches and cancelled school. The last time I remember an overrunning event that was more than a couple inches was way back in January 2011. Long overdue!

Indeed! Looking at my old pic I see snow build up on my wheels that were facing the south...a good old overrunning event for sure!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Hard to believe that in 10 months it will have been 10 years since everyone here was in a good mood during a snow event.

Time is flying at an unbelievable pace.

Warm 850mb temperatures on the 00Z ECMWF next week?    About time.  :)

ecmwf_T850a_namer_10.png  

00Z EPS actually does agree in general with the operational run for later next week with the 850mb temps warming up and the coldest anomalies farther south. 

eps_t850a_noram_41.png

Hard to believe that in 10 months it will have been 10 years since everyone here was in a good mood during a snow event.

It's an 8 year. Can't fail, right?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Nice to see downtown Portland with 3.1" today. They also scored 0.8" on Sunday. Bit of a 19th century throwback with multiple accumulating snowfalls this late in the winter. 

Nice, that puts them up to 4.9" on the winter.

I'm at 8.3" after today. If the rest of the week works out then this will be back to back double digit years here. Big rarity in the 21st century.

My sons at water's edge... heading out for snorkeling this afternoon. The sights underwater are amazing here.

20180220_214106.jpg

We might actually be warmer than you tomorrow, lol. Into the low 80’s, easy. Hard to believe it was puking snow a few days ago. ☃️