February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

it’s great and all but I would rather be in kona where I’ll be in just 3 weeks!

Really? I thought I was the only one who would gladly miss snow to be in Hawaii.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Almost 4" now. Nice little event! About 8-9" depth. If the GFS verifies Timmy and I could have snow on the ground for weeks. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I have my doubts about the system tomorrow evening up here.  These d**n things that slide down the coast get killed by the dry air flowing through the Cascade passes when they reach the Puget Sound lowlands.  I honestly have to say it's almost unbelievable that Seattle normally averages as much or more snowfall than Portland given all of the hoops you have jump through to get snow here.  Somehow, though, Seattle has still scored many great snowstorms in spite of that.  As I've mentioned before one of things that really seems to kill us is when the western trough digs too deep.  Seattle does much better when the trough only effects the northern part of the West.  For whatever reason we have been unable to achieve that configuration since Jan 2012.

A better metric to look at would be the median since the average is skewed by outliers. 

Can't believe after all this model d*ck riding, I have literally zero inches of snow on the ground now. Thought the more model riding I did, the higher the chances of snow. I need to get serious about moving into the hills. Maybe 1400-1800ft in those hills around North Plains will do it.

i would like to sell!

Can't believe after all this model d*ck riding, I have literally zero inches of snow on the ground now. Thought the more model riding I did, the higher the chances of snow. I need to get serious about moving into the hills. Maybe 1400-1800ft in those hills around North Plains will do it. 

Or moving out of the PNW into Montana or Wyoming or something.  I mean western Washington, BC and Oregon, especially the lowlands were certainly not made for snow lovers.  

Will do! Are they visiting or do they live here?

Visiting.  They come back tomorrow night into Thursday

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Really? I thought I was the only one who would gladly miss snow to be in Hawaii.

. Yeah I got stuck in my driveway today cause my wife had the good car. The sun angle makes this snow not as good. I was ready for summer after January too. But Hawaii beats Oregon 10 months out of the year
  • Like 1

Hillsboro, right? That's rough man.

FWIW tomorrow night looks like it could be a westside special.

Or moving out of the PNW into Montana or Wyoming or something.  I mean western Washington, BC and Oregon, especially the lowlands were certainly not made for snow lovers.  

No doubt, low elevation anywhere in WA or OR is pretty much horrible for snow. This place really feels like a madhouse sometimes though with all these people losing their minds over just the chance of getting an inch or two of snow and then most often somehow getting screwed and getting nothing. Kind of blows my mind that I was actually pretty well positioned on most all models to have a few inches on the ground tonight and am going to end up with zero.

I'm not sure I'd move to somewhere it always snows because it is its rarity that makes me hunger for snow so much. Just need a balance maybe.   

• Like 2

Gotta make a gameplan for tomorrow.  If if looks like Monmouth is gonna get donut-holed I'm gonna head down to Springfield to enjoy what the NAM is giving it.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

The east coast of the island has done pretty well the past few winters. I grew up in Nanoose and I remember dud winters but good snowfalls were far more common. I remember a number of times watching the weather channel and seeing 4C and rainy or cloudy in Victoria while it was dumping heavy snow in Nanoose. That area has had 5 snowfalls of 2"+ this winter, and is probably well over 20" on the season. Meanwhile, I think we're up to 3" here.

• Like 1

love it, but it’s expensive. Being in mult. Co my taxes are insane

I thought North Plains is Washington County.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Worth mentioning - this is the latest 3" snowfall (officially) in Portland since Feb. 28, 1962. We just beat Feb. 19, 1993 by one day for the honors. 

Also, a first - this is the latest in the season that PDX has had a high of 34 or lower, with 3"+ of snow. Again, just beat out 2-19-1993. 

Sometimes the "good ol' days" don't seem so far away.

A forum for the end of the world.

Wow after hearing what happened to you tonight I much prefer to be in the Seattle areas situation. We were not expecting anything.

Easier to never get anything good

Yep, not going to lie, it is really frustrating after getting so excited about it and then to get nothing. The same thing also happened Sunday when the snow stopped just a few miles from me. The models are showing some possible snow tomorrow on the west end of PDX but honestly I'm not even gonna bother following it. If it happens I'll be pleasantly surprised but I will assume I get nothing. It will be easier on me that way.

I’m at 150” of snowfall now on the season and I can say I still appreciate every snowfall like it’s the first of the year. Never gets old. Once a snow lover, always a snow lover. I highly recommend anyone who loves snow, move to a snowy location and stop torturing yourself!

Eh, as someone who's lived in a much snowier location for quite a few years, I can definitely say that snow here is not nearly as special as in the PNW. 

But everyone is different.

• Like 1

Eh, as someone who's lived in a much snowier location for quite a few years, I can definitely say that snow here is not nearly as special as in the PNW.

But everyone is different.

Feel the same way. To me snow feels most special in Cascadia. I’ll put up with the dysfunction of this climate. Can’t beat summers here imo.

Yep, not going to lie, it is really frustrating after getting so excited about it and then to get nothing. The same thing also happened Sunday when the snow stopped just a few miles from me. The models are showing some possible snow tomorrow on the west end of PDX but honestly I'm not even gonna bother following it. If it happens I'll be pleasantly surprised but I will assume I get nothing. It will be easier on me that way.

Sucks man. It's the worst when the snow is that close and you just barely miss out.