February 5th-6th Midwest Snow Storm

bud2380

Midweek storm needs to be watched carefully for heavy snow potential.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Yeah, wtf is up with the NAM? Especially the 3k nam, which has the heaviest snow north well north of CR.  Strange.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Euro appears to have held it's own if not increased totals somewhat across the board compared to 00Z.  I believe also the entire NAM suite is an outlier.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

To believe, or not to believe...that is the question...at least its back to reality with the snow fall amounts instead of painting those 12"+ totals last night.

Exactly what went through my mind and I've come to a mixed consensus...  I believe it will snow, I do not believe the totals.  I'm going with 2" for our area. 

Exactly what went through my mind and I've come to a mixed consensus...  I believe it will snow, I do not believe the totals.  I'm going with 2" for our area. 

I'd say 3-4" is a safe bet.  All the models showing .20-.30 qpf and snow ratios will be primed with fluff factor.  On top of that, I'm seeing very solid evidence of meso scale banding so whoever can sit under one or two will cash in big.

DVN hoisted an advisory for their entire CWA.  It's for 3-6", but I could see a warning hoisted once it becomes clear if and where the heaviest axis of snow will set up.

* WHAT...Snow expected. Plan on difficult travel conditions,
including during the evening commute on Monday. Total snow
accumulations of 3 to 6 inches are expected.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest Illinois, west central Illinois,
east central Iowa, northeast Iowa, southeast Iowa and
northeast Missouri.

* WHEN...9 AM to 7 PM Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for reduced visibilities at
times and snow covered roads.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

There is still some model spread... euro/nam have the best snow through CR/IC, while others have it as far south as Des Moines to Burlington.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

snku_acc.us_mw.png  Think I sit in a good spot. S trend apparent again. Likely focus on radar returns and HRRR / RAP from here on out. Here is to the best for everyone--- DILLY DILLY!!!1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

God d**n. If 18Z GFS or 12Z Euro verify that may give us a fighting chance to make up our deficit.

Best case scenario tomorrow is an inch and it looks like 2-3" possible Tuesday. I'd be happy with that, but it would still be a long way to go to normal snowfall.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Best case scenario tomorrow is an inch and it looks like 2-3" possible Tuesday. I'd be happy with that, but it would still be a long way to go to normal snowfall.

All we would need from there would be a decent storm and a few nickel and dimers. It's far fetched but not impossible. We still have all of February and March.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Let's give it a chance. It fits the RDPS and 18Z GFS.  First real storm I have been able to follow it with real results-- one way or the other. 

icon_apcpn_ncus_12.png