May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Hasn't been a truly troughy June in the PNW since 2012.

DUE.

I’m going with FullFrontalSquall’s prediction since he has been spot on!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Hasn't been a truly troughy June in the PNW since 2012. 

DUE.

After a short warm spell... June of 2016 featured 2 weeks of troughing from June 8 - 24.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Drizzlefest has been replaced by cloudfest 2018. I miss the sun.

It's been really crappy for the last 5 days overall unless you live very close to the Sound.

I am so ready for dry weather and sun.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's been really crappy for the last 5 days overall unless you live very close to the Sound.

I am so ready for dry weather and sun.

Me too. We did luck out yesterday with sun and warmth in the afternoon and the rain held off until sunset...you were not so fortunate.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I would not call that a troughy month.

jun2016.png

This is what June 2012 looked like...you know, actual below normal heights.

jun2012.png

Troughy or not troughy it has still be pretty cloudy and slightly damp around here.

Been cloudy all day here but we have really enjoyed the day with outdoor activities with friends and family and now grilling up some teriyaki chicken!! #trulyhorrendous

Congratulations!

You coastal strip folks are a hearty breed.   Like Alaskans.   ;)

Today never really cleared up very well. Had a little sun between 2-3pm but that was about it. High of only 66 today.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Troughy or not troughy it has still be pretty cloudy and slightly damp around here.

That’s just your climate.

• Like 2

That’s just your climate.

We are well aware.

That is why we cheer for sunshine all the time!

It's always appreciated. We never worry about too much sunshine. :)

I booked 3 reservations.

Lake Chelan... Richland... and Couer D'Aene.

I am thinking Richland wins out but would prefer Lake Chelan. Richland is always the warmest and sunniest spot over there. They have a great golf course right at the hotel on the Columbia and great wineries and we can take the boat. And there is an Anthonys on the water right next to the hotel. :)

view-anthony-s-homeport.jpg

http://www.golfwashington.com/images/course_pics/reviews/columbia_point_600d1.jpg

I'm at Campbells Resort in Lake Chelan. It is 80 and beautiful.

The glory years of PNW summers... 1900 - 1930. :)

Those were largely neutral/+AMO.

Last -AMO phase was 1962/63 to 1994/95. The last time we saw +PDO/-AMO was 1977-1994.

It’s slightly misleading. That is difference from global mean SST. Not actual anomaly from what is normal region to region.

Yeah, it’s meant to better show the state of oceans relative to one another.

But even the non-adjusted SSTAs are bigly -AMO. Those are some frigid-a** waters..haven’t seen the NATL look like this in many decades.

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

It's an anomaly map made from an original anomaly map about the anamolies themselves... What.

Better conveys the state of the ocean/atmosphere circulation when the anomalies are set relative to the mean.

• Like 1

Those were largely neutral/+AMO.

Last -AMO phase was 1962/63 to 1994/95. The last time we saw +PDO/-AMO was 1977-1994.

amo-index.png

Was 67F and sunny up here with barely a cloud in the sky, only a trace of rain yesterday, want to trade?

Would love to have been up there the last 5 days.   I have been watching the low clouds on the satellite and they avoid your area like there is an invisible wall around Victoria.

The difference is absolutely incredible in patterns like this one.  

Would love to have been up there the last 5 days.   I have been watching the low clouds on the satellite and they avoid your area like there is an invisible wall around Victoria.

The difference is absolutely incredible in patterns like this one.  

The morning did start out cloudy but it broke up rapidly around noon. The last 2 days have actually increased the running monthly average temperature here as a result of the warm cloudy nights.

Well, that’s a shift. A lot more troughy EPS members now for Memorial Day weekend and beyond, into June.

• Like 2

Not that it means much at this point, but this is the Weather Channel's outlook for June.  The maps for July and August had the PNW painted in with above average as well.  Their June outlook seems to stand in contrast to Phil's thoughts of a troughy June.  Not sure what the Weather Channel uses to base these long term outlooks on...

June.JPG

• Like 1

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."