May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Not that it means much at this point, but this is the Weather Channel's outlook for June. The maps for July and August had the PNW painted in with above average as well. Their June outlook seems to stand in contrast to Phil's thoughts of a troughy June. Not sure what the Weather Channel uses to base these long term outlooks on...

This ain’t the year for persistence forecasting.

I think that’s gonna bust bigly.

Careful when using that. Not calculated the same way as the official PNA data. Different parameters used for the calculation of the descriptive EOF.

We talked about this during the winter, and people attacked me for it. But it’s true.

Yeah, there's more to it than just the PNA. I just use it as a general guide along with other parameters.

Big changes on the 00Z GFS.

Yet despite looking more troughy... it's also much drier than the 12Z run. In fact it's basically dry for everyone for the 3-day weekend. A front is moving in on Monday evening on this run.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

FWIW, Brett Anderson's update from 2 days ago.

"Signs continue to point toward most of the heat being concentrated across the West into mid-June, while several cool fronts will likely dive into eastern Canada, reducing the risk for any prolonged heat and humidity."

590x331_05181533_next.jpg

590x449_05181521_may18a.png

590x449_05181521_may18b.png

590x449_05181523_may18c.png

https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/weekly-clues-to-the-long-range-outlook-through-june/70004988

This ain’t the year for persistence forecasting.

I think that’s gonna bust bigly.

How bigly?  Am I gonna need Gore-Tex & thermal underwear?  Will there some scintilla of warmth/dryness to remind us that it's still summer?

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

The Weather Channel is such a joke. Their 15 day forecasts are no better than the built in apps on our phones that change like the wind, all their videos are clickbait, and they hype up everything so much to the point it makes you cringe.

• Like 1

A rain event or a below normal day would be about as momentous as a snow event at this point.

The grass is about to turn brown right now. The ground is super hard and it doesn't look like there's much rain coming up. It never fails to amaze me how fast soil moisture just dissapears in such a moist climate.

Going to assume it's going to be another bad fire season here in Oregon.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I've measured 0.19" of rain this month.  My next driest May is 1.30".  With no significant rain in the forecast, I'm curious what the driest May's ever are for Portland, does anyone have any data handy?

1992 -  .10

1982 -  .46

1994 -  .56

1938 -  .57

2015 -  .59

2018 - . 15

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Slightly off topic, but has anybody been tracking the UK heat wave (at least by their standards)? I’ve never seen anything like it this early before, and I can’t help but wonder if it has anything to do with the summer set up out here.

I looked it up and I couldn’t find much about any records being set. It appears western Europe is in a pattern very similar to the one we are stuck in though, with split flow and meandering cutoff lows.

And it is a direct indicator that our summer will be hot, of course. ;)

Interesting changes on recent runs. The next week is now looking dry but cooler...tomorrow could be the only day well into the 80s down here, with temperatures back to seasonal levels by late week into the weekend.

The manner in which the cutoff low phases does seem to open the door for a pattern change, though.

Interesting changes on recent runs. The next week is now looking dry but cooler...tomorrow could be the only day well into the 80s down here, with temperatures back to seasonal levels by late week into the weekend.

The manner in which the cutoff low phases does seem to open the door for a pattern change, though.

The fantasy range of the 06Z GFS looks like something you drew up! I wouldn't mind seeing it verify rather than the most recent CPC maps though.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Slightly off topic, but has anybody been tracking the UK heat wave (at least by their standards)? I’ve never seen anything like it this early before, and I can’t help but wonder if it has anything to do with the summer set up out here.

Yeah, both are related to that +NAO/vortex positioning.

Though it will be weakening going forward.

I'm so torn over whether to make fun of this.

I just thought it was the perfect mix of seasonal variety.   

Likely will be the complete opposite.  

Latest CFS monthly forecast shows a hot summer (JJA) for the PNW and then a frigid December and January here.   

Believe it or not I haven't checked out the CFS monthlies in about 6 months.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Latest CFS monthly forecast shows a hot summer (JJA) for the PNW and then a frigid December and January here.

Expect a cold summer and a torchy December and January, then.

Expect a cold summer and a torchy December and January, then.

Our December was torchy here. So torchy in fact that you got smoke from our fires. Southern California is almost like the Southern Hemisphere in terms of their warmest and coldest times of the year. Normally the beaches average warmer in January than June.

• Like 1

Wow... 12Z GFS is even more progressive.   The models are really playing catch up.   The cut off low late this week has moved east about 1,000 miles over the last few days of model runs.

It was supposed to end up over us by maybe Sunday... now its likely going to go through SoCal and Arizona and not come north at all.   Of course this is all being driven by a much deeper and more active northerly flow.

Here was the 00Z GFS on Saturday evening for this coming Saturday...

gfs_z500a_namer_29.png

And now the new 12Z GFS for the same time...

gfs_z500a_namer_23.png

Guest happ

Our December was torchy here. So torchy in fact that you got smoke from our fires. Southern California is almost like the Southern Hemisphere in terms of their warmest and coldest times of the year. Normally the beaches average warmer in January than June.

What? :huh:

Huge improvements for the Memorial Day weekend on the 12Z GFS as a result of the changes.

Sunday and Monday now look gorgeous.    Might be cancelling those reservations yet.