January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Forks in the drawer for a while longer yet.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Summary of the last few pages:

•Models flip flopping in the LR (would who have guessed?!)

•Tim being Tim and making snarky comments to anyone that crosses in front of him (who would have guessed?!)

And Bryant constantly attacking... a surly, angry man.    Who would have guessed??    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

FWIW, apparently the lowest 850mb temperature to ever occur in the CONUS is -42C in northern MN.

All of the modeling has this airmass down to at least -44C.

Would be an all time record.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

40 and cloudy this morning.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

And the King is currently still Joffrey-status so that needs to change bigly.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Look back at your previous posts the last 24 hours. You're being a total a*s for no reason

Sure Bryant.    Like you are pretty much every single day.    Why call out something that you do all the time?     :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Currently 25 with light snow here in Tulsa. Tomorrow is forecast to be sunny and 54. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Doesn’t change the fact that the earth is warming.

Yeah, the system has warmed by a few degrees Fahrenheit over the last few centuries. Sea levels have also risen approximately 6 inches (at a relatively constant rate) since at least the 1820s.

Nothing abnormal or unprecedented in the context of this interglacial (in fact, this is perfectly normal). This runs contrary to the alarmist nonsense you hear from activist hacks on a daily basis, of course, but it’s the truth.

"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Yeah, the system has warmed by a few degrees Fahrenheit over the last few centuries. Sea levels have also risen approximately 6 inches (at a relatively constant rate) since at least the 1820s.

Nothing abnormal or unprecedented in the context of this interglacial (in fact, this is perfectly normal). This runs contrary to the alarmist nonsense you hear from activist hacks on a daily basis, of course, but it’s the truth.

I mean, I feel like this is still cause for concern. No, the world will not end in 12 years as some are hinting at, but I feel that a certain amount of action is required...

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

FWIW, apparently the lowest 850mb temperature to ever occur in the CONUS is -42C in northern MN.

All of the modeling has this airmass down to at least -44C.

Would be an all time record.

I feel like we’ve heard this before and yet the record remains. Not sure how far back reliable records go for this.

To no ones surprise it looks like 6z was indeed an outlier, even the ensembles. BUT it all depends on how the cut-off lows are handled. As timing moves forward the next 2-3 days and if those cut-offs are not realized or shunted further south we could easily see a colder pattern.

00z GFS in 7 hours 40 minutes

To no ones surprise it looks like 6z was indeed an outlier, even the ensembles. BUT it all depends on how the cut-off lows are handled. As timing moves forward the next 2-3 days and if those cut-offs are not realized or shunted further south we could easily see a colder pattern.

00z GFS in 7 hours 40 minutes

On another note, are models really this bad at handling East Wind? Even the WRF shows only gusts of 25 kts in the Gorge taken at face value...

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean, I feel like this is still cause for concern. No, the world will not end in 12 years as some are hinting at, but I feel that a certain amount of action is required...

What kind of action would you propose? Please be specific, no virtue signaling allowed in science.

Do you think the climate would magically stop changing in the absence of human influence? Because this ongoing period of climate change is very tame compared to the rapid, violent swings that have permeated the majority of the Pleistocene. And we don’t even remotely understand how those past climate swings occurred..so how can we prevent them in the future if we can’t identify them or grasp their meaning (assuming it’s even possible to do so)?

• Like 1

I feel like we’ve heard this before and yet the record remains. Not sure how far back reliable records go for this.

Satellite records go back to 1978, but the reconstructed record extends back to the 1850s.

And we’ve never seen sub -40C modeled into the CONUS..only up in Canada.

What kind of action would you propose? Please be specific, no virtue signaling allowed in science.

Do you think the climate would magically stop changing in the absence of human influence? Because this ongoing period of climate change is very tame compared to the rapid, violent swings that have permeated the majority of the Pleistocene. And we don’t even remotely understand how those past climate swings occurred..so how can we prevent them in the future even if it was possible to do so?

I don't know, I'm not the expert. But I do know hundreds upon hundreds of scientists have come to the conclusion that climate change due to greenhouse gases is at least an issue we should be paying attention to if nothing else. If they turn out to be wrong, wonderful, but better safe than sorry. But all I know is that plenty of studies have come to a similar consensus, and I'm not sure what motive they would have for lying about it.

Do I think some people are too extreme? Yes. and once again the world will not be ending in 12 years. But if numerous experts have come to a certain conclusion, I say it is best to pay attention.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

On another note, are models really this bad at handling East Wind? Even the WRF shows only gusts of 25 kts in the Gorge taken at face value...

I just posted this in my group

12z WRF-GFS

.... STRONG east winds Monday....

This run has ramped up the east winds another notch. The 4km sounding over PDX is very impressive with 50kts just above the surface and 55kts aloft. We'll have to keep an eye on this the next several runs to see if this is handled similarly or not. It all depends on how close the shortwave Sunday moving south through British Columbia ends up being to us. This looks like gap and downslope wind, so it's not only going to be confined to areas east of I-205.

51050955_10216615945702797_6557819018315

kpdx.th.gif

• Like 1

I just posted this in my group

12z WRF-GFS

.... STRONG east winds Monday....

This run has ramped up the east winds another notch. The 4km sounding over PDX is very impressive with 50kts just above the surface and 55kts aloft. We'll have to keep an eye on this the next several runs to see if this is handled similarly or not. It all depends on how close the shortwave Sunday moving south through British Columbia ends up being to us. This looks like gap and downslope wind, so it's not only going to be confined to areas east of I-205.

51050955_10216615945702797_6557819018315

kpdx.th.gif

Intense. GFS and EURO (though they are kinda useless for these situations) also strengthened winds.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

12Z EPS for the 10-15 day period:

eps-z500a-5d-noram-61-3.png

eps-t850a-5d-noram-61-2.png

Undercut? If so...

DKfail.gif

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I don't know, I'm not the expert. But I do know hundreds upon hundreds of scientists have come to the conclusion that climate change due to greenhouse gases is at least an issue we should be paying attention to if nothing else.

Alright, let’s start with this. Very reasonable. Of course we should “pay attention” to (and plan ahead for) any potential forcing on the structure of planetary energy budget, as any perturbation can prove consequential. And, obviously, the radiative forcing(s) from GHGes is one of those factors. I don’t know any respected scientist who disagrees with this. So, of course I’m in agreement.

If they turn out to be wrong, wonderful, but better safe than sorry. But all I know is that plenty of studies have come to a similar consensus, and I'm not sure what motive they would have for lying about it.

Nobody is claiming the scientific community is “wrong” about GHGes affecting climate to some extent (that is where the “consensus” is). However, you need to bridge the gap between “GHGes influence climate” and “we need to do ___”. Otherwise you aren’t adding anything of value.

These extreme projections are derived solely from computer model projections of positive feedback loops that have never been shown to exist in the observed data.

Also, when these simulations are experimentally run forward on short/operational lead times (usually on weekly/monthly timescales..like the CFSv2) they will fail in spectacular fashion. There are always a multitude of state independent structural biases in the simulated system state, and global temperatures will often quickly rise 1+C above observations in the absence of constraining parameters. Much of these errors (and perhaps the origins of the feedback loops themselves) arise from steady state convective parameterizations that run uncoupled from instantaneous changes to the thermal structure via GHG forcing. Otherwise it would require too much computing power to run such models..which is understandable, but to think this can be patched over seems insane to me.

And of course the full plate of higher frequency system state components (MJO, ENSO, annular modes/AAM, strat/chemistry/mass circulation, IPWP vacillations, etc) cannot be modeled over centuries for the same line of reasoning, yet these dynamics regulate the energy budget in major ways..and if we cannot capture the high resolution pathways to said regulation, our models are not simulating the real world at all.

• Like 1

Alright, let’s start with this. Very reasonable. Of course we should “pay attention” to (and plan ahead for) any potential forcing on the structure of planetary energy budget, as any perturbation can prove consequential. And, obviously, the radiative forcing(s) from GHGes is one of those factors. I don’t know any respected scientist who disagrees with this. So, of course I’m in agreement.

Nobody is claiming the scientific community is “wrong” about GHGes affecting climate to some extent (that is where the “consensus” is). However, you need to bridge the gap between “GHGes influence climate” and “we need to do ___”. Otherwise you aren’t adding anything of value.

These extreme projections are derived solely from computer model projections of positive feedback loops that have never been shown to exist in the observed data.

Also, when these simulations are experimentally run forward on short/operational lead times (usually on weekly/monthly timescales..like the CFSv2) they will fail in spectacular fashion. There are always a multitude of state independent structural biases in the simulated system state, and global temperatures will often quickly rise 1+C above observations in the absence of constraining parameters. Much of these errors (and perhaps the origins of the feedback loops themselves) arise from steady state convective parameterizations that run uncoupled from instantaneous changes to the thermal structure via GHG forcing. Otherwise it would require too much computing power to run such models..which is understandable, but to think this can be patched over seems insane to me.

And of course the full plate of higher frequency system state components (MJO, ENSO, annular modes/AAM, strat/chemistry/mass circulation, IPWP vacillations, etc) cannot be modeled over centuries for the same line of reasoning, yet these dynamics regulate the energy budget in major ways..and if we cannot capture the high resolution pathways to said regulation, our models are not simulating the real world at all.

I'd be more worried about the small trees in your yard.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Great progress on the 12z EPS today.

Maybe my straw grasping yesterday was not so crazy...It's not over yet boys and girls!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The reality is that we humans have always overestimated our importance in the grand scheme of things and tend to wear blinders when confronted with new paradigms. Hubris has been one of our most prominent character traits since the earliest days.

The Earth was at the center of the universe. Every flood, volcano, or drought was a result of humans neglecting to appease some angry god (often by “sacrificing” an innocent child or something like that). And anyone who dared/dares claim otherwise gets annihilated (whether literally or metaphorically).

Tens of millions have been slaughtered over the last few centuries, all in name of religion. I mean, it can’t be proven true or false, but we murder one another over it, because our ideas are right, and yours are wrong, and deniers of reality like you are pure evil and are ruining the world for all of us good people (now think of the politics of today and how we characterize our opposition..very easy to let the reptilian hindbrain take over).

The reality is that we humans have always overestimated our importance in the grand scheme of things and tend to wear blinders when confronted with new paradigms. Hubris has been one of our most prominent character traits since the earliest days.

The Earth was at the center of the universe. Every flood, volcano, or drought was a result of humans neglecting to appease some angry god (often by “sacrificing” an innocent child or something like that). And anyone who dared/dares claim otherwise gets annihilated (whether literally or metaphorically).

Tens of millions have been slaughtered over the last few centuries, all in name of religion. I mean, it can’t be proven true or false, but we murder one another over it, because our ideas are right, and yours are wrong, and deniers of reality like you are pure evil and are ruining the world for all of us good people (now think of the politics of today and how we characterize our opposition..very easy to let the reptilian hindbrain take over).

Fear instincts becoming too strong for sure.  Powerful tactics to use against those who struggle to control it.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Any guesses as to what the druncle is going to spit out?

Personal Stats:

Venmo