Jan 18th-20th Potential Winter Storm. Can this be The One??

jaster220

RPM Model agreeing with the other CAM models on placement of the heavy swath of snow across portions of E NE/IA and into N IL. I couldn't see where the snow set up in other parts of our sub. Widespread 6"+ across IA and a band of 4-7" in N IL through Sat pm (not including LES Sat pm - Sun). I wouldn't be surprised if a WSW start c

what parts of eastern Nebraska

Tom- The "Grizz" has been fired up since I woke up out of hibernation in OCT. Even if this system goes Euro- I'am still super excited. Winter Weather is my 2nd marriage.

• Like 5

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I am wayyyyy excited about this. I got to bed late and could hardly sleep and got up early this morning to check all the updates. I'm wired! First potential biggie over here. DMX has issued a WWA for 4-6" but says locally higher and likely upgrade to a warning. Nice to see 06 Euro a lil more juiced. Lots of consistency with the models. Bring it!

• Like 4

I am wayyyyy excited about this. I got to bed late and could hardly sleep and got up early this morning to check all the updates. I'm wired! First potential biggie over here. DMX has issued a WWA for 4-6" but says locally higher and likely upgrade to a warning. Nice to see 06 Euro a lil more juiced. Lots of consistency with the models. Bring it!

They initially issued a watch and then backed it off to align with other forecast offices. Or at least I think they did? I could have sworn it said watch when I looked at 4am but maybe it was half-asleep-wishful-thinking

They initially issued a watch and then backed it off to align with other forecast offices. Or at least I think they did? I could have sworn it said watch when I looked at 4am but maybe it was half-asleep-wishful-thinking

Their morning discussion says likely upgrade to warning by this afternoon or night.
  • Like 1

Hi guys, this is a great example of how the LRC can help when the models seem lost. Using the LRC there are several thing we know should happen this weekend.

-We know there should be a strong and well organized storm in the middle of the country, providing near blizzard conditions.

-We know there should be a very strong push of artic air behind this system.

Stay strong folks the models will correct themselves, most likely sometime today.

So using the LRC as a guide, is this weekends storm cycling from the November 25th or early December storm? And if the LRC is reliable then the storms in the next several weeks should be moving across the southern states like it did for most of December and be a dryer boring stretch in the upper Midwest. That could make sense if cold hp suppresses systems to the south. Of course I don’t know much about the LRC and I’m kind of skeptical about it too.

So using the LRC as a guide, is this weekends storm cycling from the November 25th or early December storm? And if the LRC is reliable then the storms in the next several weeks should be moving across the southern states like it did for most of December and be a dryer boring stretch in the upper Midwest. That could make sense if cold hp suppresses systems to the south. Of course I don’t know much about the LRC and I’m kind of skeptical about it

This would be the early Dec version.  And the waves next week should be kinda weak and fast moving.

• Like 1

So using the LRC as a guide, is this weekends storm cycling from the November 25th or early December storm? And if the LRC is reliable then the storms in the next several weeks should be moving across the southern states like it did for most of December and be a dryer boring stretch in the upper Midwest. That could make sense if cold hp suppresses systems to the south. Of course I don’t know much about the LRC and I’m kind of skeptical about it too.

This would match up with the Dec 1st storm that created a blzzard across the mid section. Northern parts of Nebraska and parts of South Dakota were in a blizzard warning; my area was in a winter storm warning. I ended up with 5" of snow from that system. As far as using the LRC, you can only use it to get an idea when storm systems will be around; the cycle and pattern repeats but its the same but different. The next time around each cycle brings different seasonal differences compared to the previous cycle in terms of the storm systems. 

• Like 3

this one still has some jokers up it's sleeve I feel-- don't they all?  gotta crash. Keep the maps coming and good luck to all the snow weenies!!!

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.