Jan 18th-20th Potential Winter Storm. Can this be The One??

jaster220

I am holding a spot in my yard for you just in case. They would probably shut the bridge down though...

Does the bridge actually shut down in that case? I know it’s shut down because of ice and accidents, but I don’t really even know what happens on there during a big snowstorm. Who plows it? Does it even get plowed? I’m actually super curious about this now lol

Does the bridge actually shut down in that case? I know it’s shut down because of ice and accidents, but I don’t really even know what happens on there during a big snowstorm. Who plows it? Does it even get plowed? I’m actually super curious about this now lol

Actually not sure. I know they have shut the lights off for fireflies at times. It got so slick there was a lot of accidents. I guess I should know, I work for the city of DBQ.

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

FWIW(and I honestly think a decent bit) all three of the WRF models (ARW, NSSL and NMMB) are pretty juiced up with the precip in Iowa through the end of their runs. All of which eclipse 6" on a 10:1 map over a fairly large area. The fact that they all generally agree with each other(and the NAM) is worth more to me than any of the individual runs.

• Like 4

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

FWIW(and I honestly think a decent bit) all three of the WRF models (ARW, NSSL and NMMB) are pretty juiced up with the precip in Iowa through the end of their runs. All of which eclipse 6" on a 10:1 map over a fairly large area. The fact that they all generally agree with each other(and the NAM) is worth more to me than any of the individual runs.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Hrrr, oax, and local guys are going towards the GFS. I don't buy that play currently.

i seriously think that a decent chunk of the warnings in NW IA (Atlantic/ Carroll and Dennison general area) is going to bust. In fact I'am mildly concerned further E here near DSM. Further NE I think is a slam dunk.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Not sure why the GRR/DTX is being so silence on issuing a WSW. Somebody wake them up pls. :rolleyes:

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Here we are 24 hours before the event and the models still put down anywhere from nearly nothing to nearly a foot of snow at my location. The model solutions have so wildly changed from model to model, run to run for my area that I'm still not sure what to expect, but I think one key will be how quickly rain changes to snow here. Still has been a fun and interesting storm to track.

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)