Jan 18th-20th Potential Winter Storm. Can this be The One??

jaster220

Full sampling killing everything?

The NAM had full sampling. I think it's the phase issue. Someone ( I think Jaster) mentioned he heard this certain event is poorly handled by guidance in seeing phase or no phase. Obviously that is shown to all of us now.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

What’s your guess for snowfall in CR?

It's hard to know.  We're certainly better off than central/western Iowa.  0.30" would still be 4-5".

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

i don't get on AMWX for winter events- just tropical. But would be interesting to hear what anyone on their is saying about this. NAM / GFS couldn't be more different for many.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

This may come down to last minute deal. Basically a radar trend now cast. I was mildly concerned this may happen for many-- but it's quite interesting even if many get the shaft that this can happen in this day and age. Pretty cool actually,

i don't get on AMWX for winter events- just tropical. But would be interesting to hear what anyone on their is saying about this. NAM / GFS couldn't be more different for many.

The NAM has been stellar this year as opposed to the GFS which has not be as well a performer. I'm going to ride the NAM because a) better track record lately and B) I really want to see 13 inches in my yard lol

• Like 1

I don’t post there anymore but I just checked. Pretty dismal over there too. Didn’t see any specifics from any mets, but the mood is somber it seems.

• Like 1

Tonight should be another reminder that it's wise not to post snow maps on social media 5 days   out that are insane in total -- check that, 1 day in advance and even modest ones.

Consensus to dry up, so I'm gonna ignore the NAM and follow consensus. My call is 4-6 for CR. I'm not even there but that's my measuring location so it's what we're gonna go with.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Local met Terry Swails is on now and he's lowering his totals area-wide based on the latest models.  He's down to 3-6 with isolated 7.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

So I cant post amounts from one model 5 days out? Wtf

Unless you're a teenager or younger, or extremely elderly....I fault those that share snow predictions on their feed so far out. In this day and age haven't even non weather folks learned that a lot can change? All Craig's page needs is a disclaimer and I'd be fine with what he did. He may have one...never been on the page. But those who share the post five days ago are just as much to blame, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Unless you're a teenager or younger, or extremely elderly....I fault those that share snow predictions on their feed so far out. In this day and age haven't even non weather folks learned that a lot can change? All Craig's page needs is a disclaimer and I'd be fine with what he did. He may have one...never been on the page. But those who share the post five days ago are just as much to blame, in my opinion.

Most people don't even know that 6hrs is only still 90% accurate, and the numbers get worse after that. If I remember correctly the goal of NOAA for the next few years is to get to 12 hours at 90% accuracy.
  • Like 3

00z UK... every single model is trending to the same scenario.  More positive tilt -> weaker and faster -> north and south snow bands coming together later.

us_model-en-087-0_modgbr_2019011800_60_5660_220.png

• Like 1

OAX isn't changing their forecast

Not yet. I would be shocked if major changes are not made at OAX and DMX with  the morning packages. But for now they are holding firm--

.AVIATION.../For the 06Z TAFS through 06Z Friday night/

Issued at 1136 PM CST Thu Jan 17 2019

MVFR stratus close to clearing at DSM and have VFR conditions by

around 08z. Looks to stick around OTM for the duration of the

night. No significant changes to the previous forecast as still

have MVFR to IFR conditions Friday afternoon into Friday evening

from the strong winds and snow.

• Like 1

The possibility of freezing drizzle and sleet may be enough excuse to keep an advisory even with minimal snow. At least its looked iffy for a while in Eastern NE. IA people are having the rugged pulled right from under them if things don't correct back soon. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"