February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

I dropped the bomb on my parents. Funny when i walked into the house about 15 mins ago my mom noticed the snow twinkle in my eyes haha. Pretty much told them  to gas up the generator and fill the cars with fuel. My forecast to them was 6-12 inches by Sunday and 3-6 Monday. Probable not far off.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

There's that pullback! Almost makes me feel better.

Just one run though.

The 12Z GFS is about to unload on us by day 8.   Overall pattern stays the same.

gfs_z500a_namer_33.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What's crazy is that every run (even the bad ones) and model show that the NPAC block just doesn't budge.

Completely stagnant pattern and I wouldn't be worried about the mesoscale stuff cause everyone will eventually get plenty of snow.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The 12Z GFS is about to unload on us by day 8.   Overall pattern stays the same.

GFS seems to be doing what the Euro was a few nights ago. Digging the low too far to the SW and cutting it under the block. The mid-range definitely seems to be the GFS's warm range.

Guest hawkstwelve

Wow... No school for Riverview SD again today. I thought for sure they'd just have a late start.

At this rate, my son might only have school tomorrow and maybe Friday. Monday-Wednesday next week will be highly questionable depending on how much we thaw out and then it's mid-winter break.

Lucky kid.

I feel like we've seen this before...

gfs_z500a_namer_38.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Guest hawkstwelve

12z GFS close-up of WA. It shows snow doesn't start in downtown Seattle until around midnight with rain until then.

Obviously if it's at all wrong about precip starting as rain (I think it is), totals will be higher than what is shown here.

GFS 50-STATES USA undefined undefined 96.png

Wow... No school for Riverview SD again today. I thought for sure they'd just have a late start.

At this rate, my son might only have school tomorrow and maybe Friday. Monday-Wednesday next week will be highly questionable depending on how much we thaw out and then it's mid-winter break.

Lucky kid.

SPS has 2 hour late start today, but we also have 75min early release on wednesdays. today's gonna be a short day, i have no idea how they plan on fitting 6 classes that are normally an hour long into a 3 1/2 hour day

looking at the 00z GEM now. has snow arriving INCREDIBLY early and starting as snow late thursday night, with temps in the upper 20s for most of the central sound. heaviest of it moves through late friday night into early saturday morning. last snow showers move out late saturday afternoon/early evening. surprisingly only has totals of 6-10" for most of the sound. posting a snowmap shortly.

Yes, I'm brand new here. Been watching this a few days. I'm @ThurstonNewsWX on twitter.

But, what is everyone's general consensus regarding precipitation type. What I'm seeing is that most of the models show it as starting as rain which could put a huge damper on this event especially for the South Sound. Is this actually going to happen or is that just the models scouring out the cold air too quickly?

And also, am I reading the maps correctly, that the snow is supposed to last for a good 24 HOURS?!?!

• Like 1

looking at the 00z GEM now. has snow arriving INCREDIBLY early and starting as snow late thursday night, with temps in the upper 20s for most of the central sound. heaviest of it moves through late friday night into early saturday morning. last snow showers move out late saturday afternoon/early evening. surprisingly only has totals of 6-10" for most of the sound. posting a snowmap shortly.

im tired. again, the 12z, not 00z.

Yes, I'm brand new here. Been watching this a few days. I'm @ThurstonNewsWX on twitter.

But, what is everyone's general consensus regarding precipitation type. What I'm seeing is that most of the models show it as starting as rain which could put a huge damper on this event especially for the South Sound. Is this actually going to happen or is that just the models scouring out the cold air too quickly?

And also, am I reading the maps correctly, that the snow is supposed to last for a good 24 HOURS?!?!

could last longer! this is could be a big snowstorm.

Maybe start as rain south of seattle and stay as all snow north of

Hi, very common for models to under estimate cold air in the area and if any rain does fall it would be very short lived and mainly south of Olympia. The best forecast for this possible rain is some of the old timers at the NWS that will use the 40 years of experience watching these situations unfold.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

It's honestly gotten to the point that the only short to mid term precipitation map that matters is the Euro. Head AND shoulders above the rest.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

It's certainly showing a lot of white flaky stuff falling.

Touché!

Cold Season 2023/24: