2/19 - 2/20 Southern Plains/GL's Cutter

Tom

This storm will put us right around the 48” mark for the season. Makes me think of how insane the 07-08 winter was when we got 78”. I don’t remember it super vividly, as I was just in 6th grade. But I definitely have some memories. That was right around the time I started tracking storms. And back when Schnack’s blog chat was a thing - the E Iowa people will know what I’m talking about!

• Like 3

At only 3" here while we were expecting 6" at the least, I'm willing to call it a bust. Omaha stayed out of the monsterslot longer than here and was under the good returns for longer, giving you guys another inch or so. We had the lowest depth in probably all of Eastern Nebraska here before this and now I'm guessing we're sitting at probably 5-6". With late February sun angle, one day of clear skies and above freezing temps is going to murder this snowpack. Or at least commit aggravated assault on it.

Interesting way you incorporated your police vocabulary in a post on a wx forum...haha..I find that a creative way for diversification in a forum...on a side note, reading all your posts about the sun angle leads me to believe you get really frustrated and depressed about it.  You alright there???

• Like 1

Interesting way you incorporated your police vocabulary in a post on a wx forum...haha..I find that a creative way for diversification in a forum...on a side note, reading all your posts about the sun angle leads me to believe you get really frustrated (yes) and depressed (no) about it.  You alright there???

I wonder why I would possibly be using police vocabulary....  :D

I tend to get at-the-moment frustrated about things. I've been here long enough to make that fairly obvious. I don't actually get mental about weather, I do know there are bigger things in life. But when I see models advertising a high of 38 with full sun the day after an underperforming snowfall, that is when I'll get frustrated. 

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

An hour ago I measured an average of about 3.8" on my snow boards.  I heard the wind howling early this morning and I immediately thought I wouldn't be able to get a good measurement, but the backyard snow is fairly uniform.  I'm hoping these last bands of light snow can bump me up to 4 inches.  I'd be happy with that, especially considering how much this system underperformed in many areas.  There were too many dry pockets mixed in with the snow bands.

Southeast Iowa is really getting the shaft this month.  Here I am trying to find a place to put the snow, with piles as big as I've ever had, while south of I-80 they are barely getting anything out of these storms.  Down by Keokuk they will have bare ground again in a couple days.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I wonder why I would possibly be using police vocabulary....  :D

I tend to get at-the-moment frustrated about things. I've been here long enough to make that fairly obvious. I don't actually get mental about weather, I do know there are bigger things in life. But when I see models advertising a high of 38 with full sun the day after an underperforming snowfall, that is when I'll get frustrated. 

Yup, I gotcha buddy...regarding the sun angle/snow melt, try to forget about the emotional feelings of worry about something in the future and focus living in the "now" moment.  You will find yourself more grateful for things in life, esp what mother nature provides for you.  I used to feel the same exact way when I was your age but there is nothing you can do about it unless you move somewhere were the snow pack is much deeper or live farther north to experience the sun angle "lag" much latter in the season.

• Like 1

I can confirm it’s raking. My office is about 6 miles from the airport. The airport is still in shotdown mode.

Man, how many times this year has MSP been in the right spot where the defo band just pivots the right way??  Congrats on being in a great spot again.  Radar looks amazeballs.

• Like 1

Yup, I gotcha buddy...regarding the sun angle/snow melt, try to forget about the emotional feelings of worry about something in the future and focus living in the "now" moment. You will find yourself more grateful for things in life, esp what mother nature provides for you. I used to feel the same exact way when I was your age but there is nothing you can do about it unless you move somewhere were the snow pack is much deeper or live farther north to experience the sun angle "lag" much latter in the season.

I'm into what's going to happen in the future. That's not going to change.

Also, I am likely moving over the Summer. Where that is is still undetermined.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'm into what's going to happen in the future. That's not going to change.

Also, I am likely moving over the Summer. Where that is is still undetermined.

So am I, but I don't worry about snow melting in a few days but rather enjoy the beauty of the landscape "now" while I'm living in the moment.

So am I, but I don't worry about snow melting in a few days but rather enjoy the beauty of the landscape "now" while I'm living in the moment.

I'm not you. I enjoy the moment too, but I also think about the future. The negatives and the positives. I enjoy longer-lasting snowpacks and just think melting snow looks ugly.

I'm not you. I enjoy the moment too, but I also think about the future. The negatives and the positives. I enjoy longer-lasting snowpacks and just think melting snow looks ugly.

"Alright, alright, alright..." (Matthew McConaughey accent)...

• Like 1

Measured 4.25” at my place. Definitely a disappointment considering all the models were 6-9”. Would have loved to see that amount added on top of our existing base. I realized that I still haven’t seen a 6” snowfall since Christmas Eve 2015. I was out of town last weekend when Omaha finally scored one and now this storm fell short. Hopefully this Saturday will be the one.

8.8"

Wow, that’s another impressive snowfall total for you James! Central Iowa keeps raking these storm systems in.

This morning’s light but steady snowfall has pushed my backyard storm total to right around 5 inches of snow now. Not what we were expecting obviously, however I will take it. Snow depth is now well over a foot and the snow piles keep on getting higher along my driveway.

• Like 1

Radar is looking free of any precip. I really hope no ice falls today. Not sure where they see a WAA IMBY. It doesnt look to impressive, idk, it looks like a mini , weak storm. :rolleyes:

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Yeah its weird I was just checking snow reports and Im considerably higher. Im not sure why. Usually im a lil under. I did see New Hampton has 9.0" and Waukon 10.2" but neither of those towns are close to me. There's a 6.1" report not far to my south.
Even with compaction im over 7" 

This storm will put us right around the 48” mark for the season. Makes me think of how insane the 07-08 winter was when we got 78”. I don’t remember it super vividly, as I was just in 6th grade. But I definitely have some memories. That was right around the time I started tracking storms. And back when Schnack’s blog chat was a thing - the E Iowa people will know what I’m talking about!

That years totals were in my signature, I just noticed I do not have it anymore...site must have erased them? Feb alone was over 30" in the 28 days..

10 snowiest winters on record for Dubuque:

1) 2007-2008: 78.7”

2) 1961-1962: 75.7”

3) 1974-1975: 75.0”

4) 1959-1960: 71.5”

5) 1977-1978: 71.3”

6) 1978-1979: 70.4”

7) 1958-1959: 65.9”

8) 1992-1993: 63.8”

9) 2010-2011: 63.5”

10) 2013-2014: 63.3”

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

That years totals were in my signature, I just noticed I do not have it anymore...site must have erased them? Feb alone was over 30" in the 28 days..

10 snowiest winters on record for Dubuque:

1) 2007-2008: 78.7”

2) 1961-1962: 75.7”

3) 1974-1975: 75.0”

4) 1959-1960: 71.5”

5) 1977-1978: 71.3”

6) 1978-1979: 70.4”

7) 1958-1959: 65.9”

8) 1992-1993: 63.8”

9) 2010-2011: 63.5”

10) 2013-2014: 63.3”

We had 63” in 2013-2014!??!? I don’t really recall that at all, but I suppose it’s quite easy to start getting winters mixed up except the true record breaking ones.

It appears I came to a conclusion on the snow totals far too soon here. Didn’t realize we’d be getting additional snowfall like this. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get a good measurement, as I won’t be home from work for another 6+ hours, and plenty of compaction occur. Have to think this will put my total above 5”, at least.

• Like 1