2/19 - 2/20 Southern Plains/GL's Cutter

Tom

Grapual now has turned into big fat flakes. I'm on the eastern edge of the backside band getting its act together. Was pretty neat watching the pellets turn into big flat flakes. The wind has now calmed down so they are pretty much falling straight down. 

Edit: The radar is taking on a look like we would see in the summer time. The heavy returns of snow on the Hastings radar is like an occluding line of storms. Gonna watch to see just how intense it gets; hoping to pick up another 2" if possible. 

Here comes the dry band the HRRR has been advertising.  It's trying to fill in, but I think it'll stop snowing for a bit.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The band of dry air that has been lifting northward over here is being pinched off along its west end as it reaches Cedar Rapids.  The snow has tapered off for now.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Another 1/2 inch in 15min. I'm staying up. This is amazing to watch....even at night.

However, a big blob of dry air has popped over central Iowa.  You may get a break shortly.

Down here, the band of dry air never made it in here.  The snow tapered briefly, but good snow has resumed and should continue through morning.  I'm not going out to measure again until morning.

However, a big blob of dry air has popped over central Iowa. You may get a break shortly.

Down here, the band of dry air never made it in here. The snow tapered briefly, but good snow has resumed and should continue through morning. I'm not going out to measure again until morning.

Heavy band over me now. Still light returns to the south and I like that development south of Des Moines.

Congrats to those seeing snow to my N & W...this has been an interesting system to track and I was fully expecting to see the... #chicagosplit...only a coating of snow so far and not more expected.  It's good to see some of you have had experienced really intense snowfall rates as a fairly widespread snow shield developed overnight and continues to press N into the Upper MW/GL's.  

Looks like the Euro was right and parts of NW IA did in fact catch a break and finally got some heavy snows.  Snow depths out west and north of here are certainly going to be quite impressive.  It's rather fascinating to see this system not only produce a trowal like feature on radar during this cycle, but also during the 1st/2nd cycles as well.

Seeing that we're getting into the later part of February, snowfall records are getting easier and easier to kill.

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFAL SET IN LINCOLN, NEBRASKA...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 4.4 INCHES WAS SET AT LINCOLN NE YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 3.2 SET IN 1989.
  • Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I guess freezing drizzle is mixing in now cuz the snow is kinda starting to form a layer of crust. Still very powdery underneath though. Snowing lightly still but like I said earlier, pretty sure appreciable accumulations are over with this thing. 24.3*F.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

about 2-4" being reported around DSM with most I think on the lighter side. FZDZ has kicked in and the flake size has sucked for several hours. Oh well; you win some and you lose some- but at least you get some....

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

about 2-4" being reported around DSM with most I think on the lighter side. FZDZ has kicked in and the flake size has sucked for several hours. Oh well; you win some and you lose some- but at least you get some....

It was interesting. While dry air didn’t impact the onset of snow as much as was anticipated, it still had a huge impact on snow totals. Combine that with how progressive this storm was, it was definitely due to disappoint. And it seems like it almost disappointed across the entire area.

I mean, I’m certainly not disappointed with 4”, as that’s what I expected. But the WFO definitely seemed to miss on this one.

• Like 3

That was a little disappointing . Only ended up with about 4 inches here

Yeah I'm calling this a bust. I figured with the t-storm setup down South we'd be dealing with a dry slot. Naturally people are bitching at OAX on Twitter but the models handled this horribly. I'm really worried about melting tomorrow and Friday too, it's possible by Friday we could be seeing bare spots again, especially if the American models have their way with highs in the upper 30s tomorrow. With clear skies and basically no wind, nothing keeping temps from shooting up like a rocket tomorrow.

We had 3.3" according to local media.  I think that is pretty close, I measured 3.5".  We are the only school that I can find in the entire area that is starting on time.  Roads are not good.  I think a 10 AM start was warranted here imo but didn't happen.  I guess that means are kids will be 1 day smarter than everyone else.   :D

• Like 2

Picked up about 4 inches of snow in my backyard, definitely on the low end of the original forecast. Still snowing so might pick up another half inch or so.

Wouldn’t call it a bust, however that dry air pocket wreaked havoc on our totals.

At only 3" here while we were expecting 6" at the least, I'm willing to call it a bust. Omaha stayed out of the monsterslot longer than here and was under the good returns for longer, giving you guys another inch or so. We had the lowest depth in probably all of Eastern Nebraska here before this and now I'm guessing we're sitting at probably 5-6". With late February sun angle, one day of clear skies and above freezing temps is going to murder this snowpack. Or at least commit aggravated assault on it.

• Like 1

Looks like we have one more patch of light snow coming. Doesn't hurt to add on a tenth of an inch I guess. Plus the longer we keep the sun tucked in the better. I could see the moon thru the clouds this morning when I woke up so I'm glad the clouds thickened up. 23.7*F.