2/19 - 2/20 Southern Plains/GL's Cutter

Tom

Don't give up yet, more moderate snow is starting to wrap back in from Central Nebraska and will move east to fill in the snow area once this heavy band lifts north. This storm is far from over, at least I think.

Still feeling like we could end up with 6" to 8" out of this thing, looks like we have right around 2" here in SW Omaha so far, with plenty more to come.

The storm is moving sw to ne so we need development in northern Kansas. Sadly it doesn't look good.

The small area of precip in NW KS is the only "wraparound" potential I see for the rest of the night. Other than that, we're going to be dry as a bone. I don't see a slot this size filling in drastically enough to make up for the crappy totals we're expecting right now. Maybe the backside will moisten up a bit but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Hope my area doesn't get too much ice. Hopefully, after a few inches of snow, I receive sleet and then plain rain, if its going to change over.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The HRRR has a big dry area moving into east-central Iowa by midnight, cutting off the snow completely for a couple hours.  Radar shows south of I-80 still struggling to fill in with precip.  It is also becoming increasingly aggressive with the mixing by morning.  It now has the sleet passing through and turning to freezing rain for many around here.

I'm still thinking 3-4" total here, even though we got a head start.

It is currently not snowing at all as a dry pocket is moving through.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It looks like OAX is going with the HRRR/RAP in that it shows things redeveloping and filling back in around 2-3am

I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to suddenly change a 6-10" forecast to 2-5". Wrap around might put down another 1-2" but I'll be very surprised if I get 6". 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

I have the RadarScope app and it’s showing some redevelopment starting on the backside of the current returns. Hopefully will be steady enough to drop another few inches by morning

Yeah that's what I'm seeing too. I just don't see rates being heavy enough to support anything more than 1-2". If I'm wrong then great.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'll have what they are smoking

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE

1154 PM CST Tue Feb 19 2019

IAZ069-079-080-090-091-NEZ031>033-042>045-050>053-065>068-078-090-

091-201400-

/O.CON.KOAX.WS.W.0004.000000T0000Z-190220T1500Z/

Pottawattamie-Mills-Montgomery-Fremont-Page-Madison-Stanton-

Cuming-Platte-Colfax-Dodge-Washington-Butler-Saunders-Douglas-

Sarpy-Seward-Lancaster-Cass-Otoe-Saline-Johnson-Nemaha-

Including the cities of Council Bluffs, Glenwood, Red Oak,

Sidney, Hamburg, Tabor, Farragut, Clarinda, Shenandoah, Norfolk,

Stanton, West Point, Wisner, Columbus, Schuyler, Fremont, Blair,

David City, Wahoo, Ashland, Yutan, Omaha, Bellevue, Papillion,

La Vista, Seward, Milford, Lincoln, Plattsmouth, Nebraska City,

Crete, Wilber, Tecumseh, Sterling, and Auburn

1154 PM CST Tue Feb 19 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST

WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations of 3 to 5

inches.

* WHERE...Portions of east central, northeast and southeast

Nebraska and southwest Iowa.

* WHEN...Until 9 AM CST Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The

hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow means severe winter weather

conditions will make travel very hazardous or impossible. If you

must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your

vehicle in case of an emergency.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can

be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

&&

• Like 3

NO way does Central IA see the totals DMX is forecasting (5-10")- storm is too progressive and as previously mentioned - too much dry air. The bands trying to move into Des Moines are having a difficult time....

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Currently getting grapual as the backside of this storm gets ready to move into my area. I would expect another couple hours of moderate to at times heavy snow. I'm guessing 5" of snow right now and maybe another 1-3 to go. For my area getting totals that were being forecasted. 

This is nothing, I wouldn't even consider it a bust, just went under forecast. Winter Storm Jonas (1/22/16, gave NYC like 27") was a BUST. Where I was at, the NWS office was Memphis (MEG) and a CWA wide winter storm warning was issued for 4-8" and blizzard conditions at times. It crapped out right over the forecast region with most people receiving

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"