2/19 - 2/20 Southern Plains/GL's Cutter

Tom

Models are definitely suggesting that, while the main fluffy snow band is farther west, there will be another batch of heavier precip that pokes out to the east somewhere around here.  Recent model runs have tended to wetten that band out toward Cedar Rapids/Iowa City.

I was wondering why DVN issued a warning for 4-6", but they are also saying 20-30 mph wind gusts, which I was not expecting.  It appears eastern Iowa will get the stronger wind.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Models are definitely suggesting that, while the main fluffy snow band is farther west, there will be another batch of heavier precip that pokes out to the east somewhere around here.  Recent model runs have tended to wetten that band out toward Cedar Rapids/Iowa City.

The NAM was underplaying that drastically.  Now playing catch up

12 HRRR

There's that finger of heavier precip poking into eastern Iowa.  Totals drop off north and south of that finger.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

12z ICON - This model has really shifted the heavy precip farther north while drying out Nebraska through southern and eastern Iowa.  It had been looking pretty similar to other models.

icon_apcpn_ncus_14.png

12z ICON - This model has really shifted the heavy precip farther north while drying out Nebraska through southern and eastern Iowa.  It had been looking pretty similar to other models.

icon_apcpn_ncus_14.png

Thankfully ICON is garbage so there's nothing to worry about.

Every model is initializing precip horribly. Makes me think that whatever happens will be a surprise, good or bad. Definitely no models showing the light snow in Kansas correctly right now. 3KM NAM is the best of the worst atm initialization-wise. 

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Day of event my Nebraska friends. Begin to remove yourselves from the models!

I'm always one of the first to say get rid of models but I don't think we need to just yet. The storm isn't even close to here yet. Globals yes. Mesoscale models can have our attention for a few more hours.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'm always one of the first to say get rid of models but I don't think we need to just yet. The storm isn't even close to here yet. Globals yes. Mesoscale models can have our attention for a few more hours.

I never ignore even globals when a storm is in the very early stage of development.  Forecast offices wont either

• Like 2

To each their own I suppose!

You can already easily identify the saturation and moisture field north of Oklahoma City. This precip SHOULD intensify, expand, and spread north throughout the afternoon.

To be fair you are in a much different area than I am speaking of RAP/HRRR trends are more important their currently than here

• Like 2

12z GFS-FV3 - Yikes!  This is the worst run of any model so far for the eastern folks, takes much of the snow away from the southern and eastern Iowa.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

On a more important note precip is now enhancing in central KS and west central OK!

Yeah so far this thing is seeming way wetter than what models originally had. My one worry is the low ending up too far West. The precip seems to be more West than what models had it with. If we can stick with the St. Joe Low we're good to go. As jcwxguy said earlier, though, a shift West is not out of the question and is the worst case scenario here.

• Like 1

I will add, though, that a slight shift West wouldn't be a bad thing for here. It may piss off everyone else on the board, but that'd bring the heaviest banding here. I'd take that. Just need to avoid a shift TOO far West.

I wonder when the last time the entire OAX was under a winter storm warning, impressive coverage. One good thing about this is that heavy totals are somewhat widespread instead of a 2-3 county wide weenie band. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Not to be a smartass, but how can the precip be further west than what the models were showing.. if the models weren’t showing this precip yet?

I said current radar is more wet than what models were showing. Whatever precip the models did have was East of current radar.

Seems about right to me.

Radar is definitely wetter and about 50 miles West down in Kansas buttttt alright.

6-10" in the grids for tonight along with the "heavy snowfall" wording. Been a LONG time since I've seen that much for me in one forecast period!

5-9" here. This is surprising coming from OAX but I guess they really had no choice here.

The HRRR, over the last several runs, has steadily dried up the initial e-w snow band over Iowa.

What's your current guess for snowfall in Cedar Rapids? I'm thinking 4-5 here, maybe 6 if things can come together right here, but still looks like a good snowfall overall.