Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Well its been above 90 every day for about a week here, and that isn't changing anytime soon. Should start hitting 100+ by Sat or Sun for at least a few days.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Nice! (But dangerous)

A nice thunderstorm coming through Denver right now. Hopefully more continue as the evening progresses. I'm guessing they will...

The pattern the past few days hasn't been good for rainfall here. The storms just start developing as they move overhead, then blow up further south and east over Denver.

A forum for the end of the world.

Last few days have been in the upper 90s, 101 today. Probably about 102 tomorrow, and maybe 103 on Monday. Should drop into the 90s Wed, but no end to 90+ weather anytime soon.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

We had a 104/78 spread today making it the hottest June day on record for average temperature. The 78 tied the max-min for the month, and the 104 was 1 degree shy of the monthly record. Although most weather folk around here don't believer the 105 reading from 2013 as the sensor was screwed up then. Any way you slice it, it was hot! This is also the 3rd day in a row above 100.

• Like 2

Today we hit 100, after an overnight low of 77F. It's cooling off now as we had some electrically active storms roll through. Lots of nice bolts. Also had a gust front with some gusts to around 40 mph.

The heat sounds brutal. I know how that was in 2012 here in the Midwest.

Heading out to Colorado's high country in under four weeks. Hoping for warm, but not hot weather. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The heat sounds brutal. I know how that was in 2012 here in the Midwest.

Heading out to Colorado's high country in under four weeks. Hoping for warm, but not hot weather. 

It's been worlds different here in Denver. No brutal heat yet this summer, just a few days in the low 90s, lots of 80s and some 70s.

Summer 2012 started very hot and dry here, in fact June was the hottest on record for DEN.

• Like 1

I'll be in Idaho and Utah starting the 6th and returning to Portland on the 17th/18th. Any thoughts on the general pattern during that timeframe? Highs in SLC look to be in the mid-upper 90s, a touch above climo. Any thoughts on monsoon evolution? Hoping for a surge at some point, but the 11-15 day pattern doesn't look that great for it. Where's the classic Four Corners high when you need it?

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

We had a 104/78 spread today making it the hottest June day on record for average temperature. The 78 tied the max-min for the month, and the 104 was 1 degree shy of the monthly record. Although most weather folk around here don't believer the 105 reading from 2013 as the sensor was screwed up then. Any way you slice it, it was hot! This is also the 3rd day in a row above 100.

End of June 2013 was pretty hot...99 in Idaho Falls and 101 in Pocatello. If the 105 is off, it's only by a degree or two. I have it listed as the SLC June record actually. What was the issue with the sensor?

End of June 2013 was pretty hot...99 in Idaho Falls and 101 in Pocatello. If the 105 is off, it's only by a degree or two. I have it listed as the SLC June record actually. What was the issue with the sensor?

I don't know what specific issue he's referring to, but the SLC temps have known to be running warmer since changes to the airport a few years ago.

I don't know what specific issue he's referring to, but the SLC temps have known to be running warmer since changes to the airport a few years ago.

There was some construction going on associated with extending the light rail out to the airport...and I believe some additional parking. Perhaps more asphalt is to blame.

I'll be in Idaho and Utah starting the 6th and returning to Portland on the 17th/18th. Any thoughts on the general pattern during that timeframe? Highs in SLC look to be in the mid-upper 90s, a touch above climo. Any thoughts on monsoon evolution? Hoping for a surge at some point, but the 11-15 day pattern doesn't look that great for it. Where's the classic Four Corners high when you need it?

We had some rain today and the next few days look pretty good for storm activity.  I think it all clear out by next Thursday though and the hot weather returns. I am heading to Mexico the 19th for the honeymoon, so hopefully we can see some tropical rains. :P

This was more than just the warmth from the airport changes, the sensor was actually broken. The temperature was running 3-5F warmer than it should have been up the change, and when they replaced it, the values seemed much more realistic afterwards. The NWS office is just like a mile from the airport and normally runs similar in temperature, but during this stretch when it was broken it was often 3F or so higher. 

I'll be moving to my new house in Bountiful, Ut soon. It's just north of the city. Its a little bit higher in elevation and more susceptible to downslope windstorms so hopefully I enjoy it.

Even cooler than expected today along the Front Range. Foggy and misty with a high of just 64 at DEN, 25 degrees below normal. 

We were in the upper 80s. I wasn't in them, but there were a few severe storms in the area today and some decent lightning.

Your cool, cloudy weather is the same that is occurring in this area. 

The 8-14 days NAEFS outlooks shows Colorado as the target for cooler than normal conditions.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

We finally cooled off the last few days into the 80s. Its been great! Storms have been around but I've only had one direct hit but it was a big one. Here are a couple videos I shot.

1. This is some of the street flooding that was going on. About 2-3" of water here, up to 6" in spots. The freeway was terrible too with standing water in places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne-wAdwRDrw

2.) Lightning video. It was actually much worse than this at one point with 1-3 flashes per second! Best show I have seen I think. During the video there is lightning every 2-3 seconds on average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cLl32hxlyE

• Like 2

Raining lightly now. It's rained every day this month except two I think, although rain totals haven't been too high, at least not yet. I'm hoping for a(nother) big deluge in the next three weeks...

Yup, same here with about 2" on the month. If we can get a healthy monsoon season, wettest year on record for many places will definitely be within reach.

When does the Monsoon usually kick in? Hope it doesn't while I'm in the mountains in 2 weeks...

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Yup, same here with about 2" on the month. If we can get a healthy monsoon season, wettest year on record for many places will definitely be within reach.

Denver Stapleton (where the old airport was until 1995) had their wettest June on record, with 7.37". However, DEN (the current airport) only saw 2.53". Crazy difference. Stapleton is at almost 18" for the year, nearly 3" more than the annual average. DEN, on the other hand, has seen less than 12". Yearly record for Stapleton is 25.14"...definitely on pace to challenge it.

Boulder is at 18.53" for the year, almost their annual average. Wettest year on record is 2013 with 34.15" (thanks to the epic rains in September), so that will be tough to catch.

Weather looks good for my wedding on Saturday, cloudy with showers possible! Much better than that 95 and hot stuff. Anyway I will be gone on my honeymoon for a week in Cancun and wont be posting.

• Like 3