Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Models were looking pretty good for the coming cold air and snow on Monday but suddenly they are backing off like crazy. Might be another no show of a storm that falls apart in the last 36 hours. This is kind of ridiculous but not much to be done about it.

Models are now agreeing we could see some warm advection snow on Tuesday, but amounts are uncertain. Could be anything from a trace to a few inches. My guess is not much but mountains could do really well.

Finally still watching the possibility of another cold blast later next week but models are all over the place...and it will probably split anyway lol. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Blizzard Warning for the plains, starting just east of Denver. Expecting 4-8" here.

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO 2 PM MST
TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO 2 PM MST
TUESDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP THIS EVENING AND WILL BE HEAVY AT
TIMES. THE HEAVY SNOW MAY LAST INTO TUESDAY MORNING IN THE
DENVER AREA...WHILE ON THE EASTERN PLAINS OF COLORADO THE SNOW
MAY LAST UNTIL TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 10
INCHES...WITH UP TO 14 INCHES IN A BAND FROM DOUGLAS COUNTY TO
BETWEEN LIMON AND AKRON.

* WIND/VISIBILITY...NORTHERLY WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 25 TO 40 MPH
BY LATE TONIGHT. GUSTS AS HIGH AS 60 MPH ARE POSSIBLE IN AREAS
EAST OF DENVER. VISIBILITIES WILL DROP TO NEAR ZERO IN OPEN
AREAS.

A forum for the end of the world.

Well, some places did well but nothing again for me. A string of bad luck to say the least. ECMWF showing another blast of cold air in a week or so but at this point I just can't believe anything they are showing anymore. We have already had 3 major blasts watered down to nothing...maybe it will work out but not getting my hopes up yet. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Well, some places did well but nothing again for me. A string of bad luck to say the least. ECMWF showing another blast of cold air in a week or so but at this point I just can't believe anything they are showing anymore. We have already had 3 major blasts watered down to nothing...maybe it will work out but not getting my hopes up yet. 

I'm actually hoping this upcoming blast doesn't happen because it looks like it'll come in around Tuesday (last I checked) and I'm flying home to Seattle on Tuesday so I don't want to get stuck at the airport. Meanwhile last I checked the weather was looking relatively boring in Seattle when I'm home...bad luck. :P But watch this next blast is going to happen cause I don't want it to. haha!

Palmer divide expecting a lot of snow from this system.

Noticed up to 7-13" for Denver proper in the grid forecast.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

It's just warm enough (33 at my house) that if this storm were occurring during the day, there wouldn't be much sticking to the roads at this point. As it is, I'm sure they'll be a mess in the morning, especially with the winds. 1.5" here so far.

Definitely blizzard conditions in Cheyenne, with sustained winds of 30 and gusts to 45: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KCYS.html

• Like 1

It's just warm enough (33 at my house) that if this storm were occurring during the day, there wouldn't be much sticking to the roads at this point. As it is, I'm sure they'll be a mess in the morning, especially with the winds. 1.5" here so far.

Definitely blizzard conditions in Cheyenne, with sustained winds of 30 and gusts to 45: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KCYS.html

Sustained winds at 37mph right now at APA. Looks like lots of the Denver area could crack 8"+.

Sustained winds at 37mph right now at APA. Looks like lots of the Denver area could crack 8"+.

Much of the south Denver area did. Where I live in the NW burbs, only 3". I work in Boulder, and they barely got anything! Yet I-25 just south of Denver was shut down because of blizzard conditions for awhile this morning. Crazy storm.

• Like 1

Absolutely insane Bora winds today. Lots of reports of 80-100+ mph gusts along the foothills. I started driving into the office in Boulder and turned around fearing for my life...tons of debris flying around and my car was nearly blown off the road. Honestly, probably the strongest winds I've ever witnessed.

Absolutely insane Bora winds today. Lots of reports of 80-100+ mph gusts along the foothills. I started driving into the office in Boulder and turned around fearing for my life...tons of debris flying around and my car was nearly blown off the road. Honestly, probably the strongest winds I've ever witnessed.

Scary.

Why does the official Denver observation say 20 mph and Boulder at 27 mph?   

Are the winds localized by micro-climates?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Scary.

Why does the official Denver observation say 20 mph and Boulder at 27 mph?   

Are the winds localized by micro-climates?

DEN is way out on the plains. The Boulder airport is on the northeast side of town and doesn't always reflect what is going on right by the foothills.

This is the closest airport to where I live, 2-3 miles away: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBJC.html. As you can see, sustained wind of 47 with gusts to 64 last hour. 

But if you want the real evidence, watch this video. The reporter is right on my usual route to work! http://www.9news.com/story/weather/2015/11/18/denver-weather-colorado-forecast-wind-snow-blizzard-winter-storm/75978190/

DEN is way out on the plains. The Boulder airport is on the northeast side of town and doesn't always reflect what is going on right by the foothills.

This is the closest airport to where I live, 2-3 miles away: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBJC.html. As you can see, sustained wind of 47 with gusts to 64 last hour. 

But if you want the real evidence, watch this video. The reporter is right on my usual route to work! http://www.9news.com/story/weather/2015/11/18/denver-weather-colorado-forecast-wind-snow-blizzard-winter-storm/75978190/

Amazing.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What is a Bora wind? Is it a type of downsloping wind like that of a Santa Ana in Socal?

What is a Bora wind? Is it a type of downsloping wind like that of a Santa Ana in Socal?

Yeah, it's a generally cold downsloping wind caused by low pressure exiting to the east. Good article explaining it here: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/11/18/bora-windstorm-whips-areas-near-denver-with-gusts-over-100-mph/

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a generally cold downsloping wind caused by low pressure exiting to the east. Good article explaining it here: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/11/18/bora-windstorm-whips-areas-near-denver-with-gusts-over-100-mph/

Thanks for the info! I have never heard of a Bora wind before, although I have heard of Chinook winds many times.

Rainy night here, should last into the morning before it dries out and cools off. Watching for a cold system next week but trends seem to want to keep it west, which is what I expect. 

Interesting pattern on the Euro. Cold, cutoff low develops late next week over intermountain West, and then slowly drifts east across the mid section of the country. Would keep temps here pretty cold for at least 3-4 days.

This solution did indeed pan out. Came home today to 4" of dry powder and temps in the low 20s. We've been below freezing since late Wednesday here and could remain that way for another 48 hours at least. Another 1-3" expected tomorrow night.

The cold has verified but the snow has not. So far about 1/4" to show for several sub freezing days but the cold has been fun. Looks like tonight will be our best chance for maybe an inch. Inversions will be locked in for a while though. 

The cold has verified but the snow has not. So far about 1/4" to show for several sub freezing days but the cold has been fun. Looks like tonight will be our best chance for maybe an inch. Inversions will be locked in for a while though. 

Bummer you couldn't score much snow out of this. Seems like the SLC area has had some bad luck the past couple years. It'll change eventually.

DEN ends the month with 10.5". Had almost the same in my backyard, 11". A nice November, but places further south did much better, with places just south of Denver seeing 2 feet+ this month.

Bummer you couldn't score much snow out of this. Seems like the SLC area has had some bad luck the past couple years. It'll change eventually.

DEN ends the month with 10.5". Had almost the same in my backyard, 11". A nice November, but places further south did much better, with places just south of Denver seeing 2 feet+ this month.

Yeah, its been a pretty crummy run the last few years. Looking like another cold trough drops in around Dec 10th so maybe then!

Inverted conditions present, although not particularly cold just polluted. Should mix out with the progressive storm track starting up. Small chance of a snow shower tomorrow night, mostly looking at mid next week though...better chance then. 

How far south? Englewood south or Highlands Ranch south? I lived near Englewood. Miss it!

Here we go again, another deep trough showing up in about a week on models. Looks more progressive so thats a start. 

Generally a cool and wet pattern is still on tap, setting in next Thurs-Fri. Probably several shots for snow even if some don't work out. 

Thursday night we should see a 1-3" storm followed by perhaps another small storm Friday. Not really cold, but more progressive still so that is key. 

As long as there is snow i'm happy! :P I'll have to head down to the weather discussions on Wednesday and Thursday!

I may try and stop by one of those days. At least if Thursday does fall apart we have plenty of other chances, but for now still looks like at least a little something.

I may try and stop by one of those days. At least if Thursday does fall apart we have plenty of other chances, but for now still looks like at least a little something.

Yeah Thursday isn't looking too good. Looks like Sunday afternoon and Monday will be a bit better. I'm flying on Tuesday so I bet you guys get interesting weather after that. :P