4/10 - 4/12 Plains/Upper Midwest Powerhouse Blizzard

Tom

This is a jaw dropper.

Are there precedents for a storm of this nature this late in the season?

I'll see Sunny and 92* today. Wish I could send you guys about 20 of those degrees!

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The euro won the first round here.  The NAM and HRRR were too far north with the overnight band of rain.  I picked up a heavier-than-expected 0.75".

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Man, this storm is a doozy. Feet of snow for some, especially those folks out in the Plain states.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

This is a jaw dropper.

Are there precedents for a storm of this nature this late in the season?

I'll see Sunny and 92* today. Wish I could send you guys about 20 of those degrees!

Man, that would be so nice! Thank you Sir!

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The euro won the first round here.  The NAM and HRRR were too far north with the overnight band of rain.  I picked up a heavier-than-expected 0.75".

Ya it has been interesting just how much model spread there was on this fronto band that now looks to be fully developed

Some good rainfall moving through right now. Not an overly large area of rainfall, but it's solid 35+ DBZ and moving pretty slow, so we should get some good accumulation.

Unless we get some heavy totals with some storms tomorrow, pretty safe to say those 2" totals won't be happening around here. Kind of a weird storm overall. This few hours or rain will be the only sustanined rain we get the whole time, it appears. 

• Like 2

Yeah most of the CAMs were to far north and I picked up 0.73" when I wasn't expecting barely a tenth, especially when it started off more to the north earlier last evening already. I didn't sleep very well as it seemed to be thundering most of the night & there was more outside work I would've liked to see accomplished.

• Like 1

So far I have 0.45” of rain. I think there’s a problem with radar because radar estimates suggest that about 1-1.5 inches of rain has fallen across the Cedar Rapids area, but based on my rain gauge that seems wrong.

Yes it seems radar estimates are usually way overdone when the atmosphere isn't as moist. When I saw it start off as virga yesterday I expected that radar returns won't be as heavy as they appear.

.70 here.  Just an awful day outside, but at least it isn't white stuff.  I coach girls golf - don't need any of that now.

Where are you located?

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Radar shows 1.50 - 1.70" fell this morning. I guess I don't know exactly how hard it rained considering I work in the basement without windows, but that much would be a bit of a surprise. Will be able to check when I go home for lunch, but I'd assume we did probably get upwards of an inch.