4/10 - 4/12 Plains/Upper Midwest Powerhouse Blizzard

Tom

Gotta love April blizzards.

As far as I know our last April blizzard was in 1973, a year before I was born, so I've never been able to love one, and I probably never will.  Strong April lows track through Iowa, not south.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

00z Nam bringing it in weaker but slower.

Well I haven't looked but typically a weaker system wouldn't go as far north, at least from what I've seen in the past.

• Like 1

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

I might end up with only a few tenths of rain from this system. Not looking very exciting at all now for my area on the southern end. Oh well, need the fields dryer so farmers can plant. Actually, oats & hay (early crops) were already being planted last week around this area.

• Like 2

Blizzard Warnings hoisted for NW NE/SD and into MN....an incredibly strong Spring Storm is in the works!  Overnight 00z Euro trended a bit stronger, and for that reason, has ticked NW a bit leaving some members near MSP quite close to a mix scenario.  Warm tongue makes its way into S MN as this storm occludes.  Max wind gusts on the Euro are centering the worst winds across E SD into MN (50-70mph).

00z EPS is showing the ULL track from NW KS/C NE into SW MN shifting the heaviest snows NW, but still, there is a lot of snow still being forecasted for those in MN.

• Like 1

Full sample on the 12z runs today. Surprised that this thing is trending stronger as we get closer to the event, and hence the NW shift. Could be a rainer, could be a blizzard. Whenever there’s any doubt about a warm nose hitting the metro, there’s a good chance it’ll happen. I think we’ll ping like mad, with a few inches of snow at the start. But, let’s see what 12z looks like.

My county is on the edge of the Winter Storm Watch and the heaviest snow line.  It will be interesting if it moves farther NW or ticks back SE.  NWS Hastings is talking ice before the changeover to snow in my area of Central Nebraska.  If I get put in a blizzard warning at some point in the next 36-60 hours, I think it will be at least 4 blizzard warnings this year, or is it 5?  I've lost track.

• Like 3

The CAMs (HRRR/NAM) are keeping all the precip north of CR/IC.  As active as the pattern has been over the last month+, CR/IC just aren't getting much out of it.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The NAM has been bullish on significant mix well up through MSP for at least the last couple days worth of runs.  On Tropical Tidbits, the NAM's 'total positive snow depth change' map only has a few inches in MSP.

This storm has mesmerize a lot people, especially Meteorologists, as it has the potential to be historic for many in the Plains and upper Midwest regions. Wow....too bad its not Winter.

Btw: snow/rain mix here IMBY w an inch or so. UGH! (My poor grass will take a beating)

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

This storm has mesmerize a lot people, especially Meteorologists, as it has the potential to be historic for many in the Plains and upper Midwest regions. Wow....too bad its not Winter.

Btw: snow/rain mix here IMBY w an inch or so. UGH! (My poor grass will take a beating)

Definitely got my attention :). More so for those intense rates of snowfall. Wish we could get in on it but we don't need it I guess.

Definitely got my attention :). More so for those intense rates of snowfall. Wish we could get in on it but we don't need it I guess.

Those rates in a hvy, wet snowfall is awesome to look at.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

NWS Hastings for my area:

Action Recommended: Make preparations per the instructions Issued by: Hastings - NE, US, National Weather Service,

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT... * WHAT...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE TO TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH POSSIBLE. WINDS COULD GUST AS HIGH AS 55 TO 60 MPH. * WHERE...PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND SOUTH CENTRAL NEBRASKA. * WHEN...FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW COULD SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE VISIBILITY. THE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS COULD IMPACT THE MORNING AND EVENING COMMUTES. STRONG WINDS COULD CAUSE EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO TREES AND POWER LINES, ESPECIALLY IN AREAS THAT RECEIVE FREEZING RAIN. ROAD CLOSURES MAY BE POSSIBLE DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES. THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS. &&

More Information

...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT FROM SNOW AND INTENSE WIND... ...FREEZING RAIN AND ICING ALSO POSSIBLE...

• Like 1