November 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

It's not good or evil, it's just opinion. Some people enjoy a cold inversion. You're not going to guilt them out of it by pointing to smog, just like they aren't going to guilt you out of enjoying dry, warm weather by pointing to forest fires.

I don't have the foggiest idea what you're trying to prove at this point.

Clever!

No opinions will ever be changed.  That is also a given.    Just pointing out the irony. 

And side note...you will find me hoping for rain when its smoky.    I don't like smoky haze and heat... its disgusting.     Even if its warmer than normal.   Temperature departures are pretty irrelevant to me.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Clever!

No opinions will ever be changed. That is also a given. Just pointing out the irony.

And side note...you will find me hoping for rain when its smoky. I don't like smoky haze and heat... its disgusting. Even if its warmer than normal. Temperature departures are pretty irrelevant to me.

All bad things come from ridging.

A forum for the end of the world.

Ridges are disgusting and evil, unless they’re over Greenland or Alaska...then they’re alright.

• Like 1

Ridges are disgusting and evil, unless they’re over Greenland or Alaska...then they’re alright.

Ridge over us today... produced a lovely, crisp 54-degree day here.   Even you would say it was nice.      :)

gfs_z500a_namer_1.png

nb-11-5-4.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

At least this is shaping up to be something historic in terms of lengthy dry weather during what’s typically the wettest time of year.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Just got the mail... it's been sunny for 10 days straight and we have had no fog at all and yet there are wet spots in the road which outline areas that are shaded. This marks the shade from the mailboxes. This has just started happening since the gradients went flat the last couple days.... but is common during dry spells from Nov - Jan unless its windy.   Need the east wind to return!

20191105-163305.jpg

Nevermind that, look at all the dead/dying grass. That place is becoming a droughtfest.

Nevermind that, look at all the dead/dying grass. That place is becoming a droughtfest.

Definitely heading into dormancy earlier than usual this year... consistently chilly nights.

Saw a Facebook memory pop today from 11/5/2011 and it was much greener and the trees had way more leaves than today.

Clouds cleared off here tonight. I had to get gas on my way home. It felt cold and the pump was slow so I sat in the truck while it was filling.

You chose to be comfortable over being cold? Strange.

Definitely heading into dormancy earlier than usual this year... consistently chilly nights.

Saw a Facebook memory pop today from 11/5/2011 and it was much greener and the trees had way more leaves than today.

No doubt the trees are bare very early this year.  That is especially true of the cottonwoods.  Probably 3 weeks early on those.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Clouds cleared off here tonight. I had to get gas on my way home. It felt cold and the pump was slow so I sat in the truck while it was filling.

Clear and already down to 35 here.  We have a bit of a NE gradient tonight so the dew points should drop a bit and allow it to get colder than the last couple of nights.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No doubt the trees are bare very early this year. That is especially true of the cottonwoods. Probably 3 weeks early on those.

Yeah... cottonwoods were noticeably early.

I think that had to due with the dry March... Shawnigan posted something about trees giving up early in the fall after a dry early spring when the leaves are just forming.

Our cottonwoods were turning during the summer and it was certainly not too dry then.

At least this is shaping up to be something historic in terms of lengthy dry weather during what’s typically the wettest time of year.

No doubt we are in a pretty abnormal regime this season.  The door should be open for some big surprises.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Clear and already down to 35 here. We have a bit of a NE gradient tonight so the dew points should drop a bit and allow it to get colder than the last couple of nights.

Cloudy here now... first time in days. Clouds are moving south.

Clear and already down to 35 here. We have a bit of a NE gradient tonight so the dew points should drop a bit and allow it to get colder than the last couple of nights.

Now it’s your turn to be way colder. We are socked in with fog and low clouds and in the low 40s.

Now it’s your turn to be way colder. We are socked in with fog and low clouds and in the low 40s.

SEA has really been pathetic this month.  I expect they will continue to be pretty lame in terms of getting cold anomalies unless the inversion becomes really serious.  IMBY it has been solidly chilly.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

One thing I've always wanted to see is a winter with 100 minimums of 32 or below.  It's very difficult to achieve in the Western Lowlands, but it does happen.  That might be on the table this winter if we alternate between 140W to 160W blocks and ridging right over us.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6z GFS Day 3-5 is a few more notches further west with the cold, arctic air in BC. Other noticeable differences. The block is trending stronger, source of cold air not digging as far into the Northern Plains/Midwest, and heights rising over the Central Plains. That is 5 consecutive GFS runs showing this trend. Remember, this is the trend I have been watching for. As of now the results aren't too significant just some cooler air filters southward into Eastern Washington/Columbia Basin resulting in a somewhat chilly gusty east wind. However, if this trend continues we'll see a fairly cold backdoor shot. Animated GIF below shows this trend and progress of cold air very well. It will be interesting to see if 12z later this morning continues this and especially if the GEM/EURO were to latch onto this as well.

11 6 19 6z GFS 5 runs trend.gif

11 6 19 GFS Day 4.5 5 runs trend.gif

• Like 3

6z GFS Day 3-5 is a few more notches further west with the cold, arctic air in BC. Other noticeable differences. The block is trending stronger, source of cold air not digging as far into the Northern Plains/Midwest, and heights rising over the Central Plains. That is 5 consecutive GFS runs showing this trend. Remember, this is the trend I have been watching for. As of now the results aren't too significant just some cooler air filters southward into Eastern Washington/Columbia Basin resulting in a somewhat chilly gusty east wind. However, if this trend continues we'll see a fairly cold backdoor shot. Animated GIF below shows this trend and progress of cold air very well. It will be interesting to see if 12z later this morning continues this and especially if the GEM/EURO were to latch onto this as well.

11 6 19 6z GFS 5 runs trend.gif

11 6 19 GFS Day 4.5 5 runs trend.gif

The key is block amplification. It seems every block this year gets stronger and more amplified as we get closer.

A forum for the end of the world.

After a week of lows at 32 or below, we only hit 39F overnight. Foggy and misty.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

43 and cloudy this morning, warmest we have been in almost 2 weeks.

By contrast, the past few days here have not had frost; last night was colder than recent nights.

It's all local, of course. Yesterday, we had the perfect scenario for a cool-down: overcast all day, cleared up right at sundown.

It's called clown range for a reason.

Was much cooler this morning. Made it down to 30 under clear skies. I am guessing slightly cooler and drier air must have worked in aloft last night. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.