May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

Your views on weather have not been nearly as stoic. Even recently saying you didn't want to look at the EPS because "there was enough bad news".

Gotta sleep in the bed you made.  :D

This is so silly... weather and a pandemic are very different.      But both clearly demonstrate that nature is in charge.  

I literally have no idea what you want from me.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Probably one of the biggest hypocrites I’ve ever seen in my life.

And I think you might fit that label for me!   You constantly pull all of the same crap that you endlessly complain about.     :lol:

My expectations are low.   I have no illusions of controlling nature or the weather.   My spirits are lifted by good weather which is nice... but that is about it.    I just take what nature gives me.    I have said that for years.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This is so silly... weather and a pandemic are very different. But both clearly demonstrate that nature is in charge.

I literally have no idea what you want from me.

Just be consistent and stop responding to posts about the pandemic with "people die all the time".

Or would you prefer I respond to every post about rain with "it's always raining somewhere"?

A forum for the end of the world.

Just be consistent and stop responding to posts about the pandemic with "people die all the time".

Or would you prefer I respond to every post about rain with "it's always raining somewhere"?

You can say that all you want.   Its true.    And saying it does not change anything.  

We can’t advance as a society until people are willing to acknowledge we have a deep-seeded, systemic hypocrism issue in this country.

Probably true in some regards.

The disparity between the reactions to the weather and the virus are pretty glaring. If it were anyone else you’d be jumping all over it too.

The disparity between the reactions to the weather and the virus are pretty glaring. If it were anyone else you’d be jumping all over it too.

My reaction is exactly the same... nature is in control.     The nice thing is that I am free to travel or move to different weather if I want.    Can't escape a global pandemic unless you can hitch a ride on a SpaceX shuttle!  

Already been covered. Are there really any aspects of you, Tim, Flatiron, me (hypocrisies included) that aren’t already beaten to a pulp?

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Already been covered. Are there really any aspects of you, Tim, Flatiron, me (hypocrisies included) that aren’t already beaten to a pulp?

I know...he’s off limits. Would be kinda fun to have you on board if it was the wrong person doing it, though. You can get some real pithy zingers in there when it comes to the always fresh and exciting world of making fun of all the other regulars here (a world I also partake in, not saying I’m above it).

So stupid... Matt calls me out all the time and its usually spot on and I do pay attention and try to learn from it.

Although I am slow learner!

I know...he’s off limits. Would be kinda fun to have you on board if it was the wrong person doing it, though. You can get some real pithy zingers in there when it comes to the always fresh and exciting world of making fun of all the other regulars here (a world I also partake in, not saying I’m above it).

I do. I’m a stupid zinger machine. You are usually too tied up in your own righteousness to pay attention. It’s one of the few differences between you two. He’s SLIGHTLY more self-aware. Slightly...

• Like 1

I do. I’m a stupid zinger machine. You are usually too tied up in your own righteousness to pay attention. It’s one of the few differences between you two. He’s SLIGHTLY more self-aware. Slightly...

I hit a nerve with that one. I can always tell because that’s when you get the most vicious and personal. :wub:

Sorry for the Sunday truth.

And in our current world, if you consider that vicious I think you need to check your privilege at the door.

I already figured this was building up to some sort of sweeping, inaccurate statement about my personality and/or a comparison to Tim. Generally the price to pay for calling you out on this topic. ;)

In relation to the whole weather/virus connection, I wonder if downplaying our runaway warming climate while playing up the dangers of the virus would be considered hypocritical?

We’ll have to look into that during the postgame show.

I already figured this was building up to some sort of sweeping, inaccurate statement about my personality and/or a comparison to Tim. Generally the price to pay for calling you out on this topic. ;)

Calling out the fact we all have a tendency to be hypocrites?

It’s not all about you, big guy but certainly not a surprise you’d play the victim.

• Like 1

In relation to the whole weather/virus connection, I wonder if downplaying our runaway warming climate while playing up the dangers of the virus would be considered hypocritical?

We’ll have to look into that during the postgame show.

The same thought crossed my mind, but I think it’s another false analogy (lawyers are good at making really convincing ones). There are a lot of decisions we could make RIGHT NOW with regard to our reaction to the pandemic that could have some very tangible real world affects, in the short term. The realm of having any sort of affect on climate change is a lot more muddy, and we are talking years, decades in the future that our actions would even have any sort of arguable affect, if any at all.

The same thought crossed my mind, but I think it’s another false analogy (lawyers are good at making really convincing ones). There are a lot of decisions we could make RIGHT NOW with regard to our reaction to the pandemic that could have some very tangible real world affects, in the short term. The realm of having any sort of affect on climate change is a lot more muddy, and we are talking years, decades in the future that our actions would even have any sort of arguable affect, if any at all.

True, but there is some potential inherent hypocrisy, at least on the surface, to seek ways to frame our warming climate in a more dismissive way while taking most if not all opportunities to highlight the virus’ severity. They’re both similar in that they’re both without a ton of definitive answers and both heavily politicized. Worth considering while we’re on the topic of hypocrisy...

True, but there is some potential inherent hypocrisy, at least on the surface, to seek ways to frame our warming climate in a more dismissive way while taking most if not all opportunities to highlight the virus’ severity. They’re both similar in that they’re both without a ton of definitive answers and both heavily politicized. Worth considering while we’re on the topic of hypocrisy...

Food for thought. I’m not arguing Flatiron and BBkid et al haven’t been overplaying things. But Tim’s “stoicism” response (which is the one he went with and has stuck with because it was the most provocative view to their nascent “side”, he like our president absolutely thrives on that sort of dynamic) catches me as more blatantly hypocritical. This is mainly due to the fact that, as I touched on above, though the virus is an act of nature there is actually an awful lot we can do to mitigate its affects, on the ground, right now. Meanwhile, all the EPS maps and east side reservations in the world aren’t going to stop a drizzly Memorial Day weekend from killing hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Yeah, I've seen several people try to make the comparison and it's a whole different ballgame.

I guess the closest part is that the science isn't really settled with either?

Food for thought. I’m not arguing Flatiron and BBkid et al haven’t been overplaying things. But Tim’s “stoicism” response (which is the one he went with and has stuck with because it was the most provocative view to their nascent “side”, he like our president absolutely thrives on that sort of dynamic) catches me as more blatantly hypocritical. This is mainly due to the fact that, as I touched on above, though the virus is an act of nature there is actually an awful lot we can do to mitigate its affects, on the ground, right now. Meanwhile, all the EPS maps and east side reservations in the world aren’t going to stop a drizzly Memorial Day weekend from killing hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Pretty much. Why should anyone care about or discuss deaths, when there are much more important and impactful things like weather preferences going on?

Pretty much. Why should anyone care about or discuss deaths, when there are much more important and impactful things like weather preferences going on?

I’m not one to talk on that topic since I definitely tend to get wrapped up in the preference thing too. Too much for my own good sometimes. That said, I am not flipping sides and using bone headed logic that would completely undercut any point of worrying about the weather at all to downplay a virus we actually have within our power the ability to do an awful lot about.

Food for thought. I’m not arguing Flatiron and BBkid et al haven’t been overplaying things. But Tim’s “stoicism” response (which is the one he went with and has stuck with because it was the most provocative view to their nascent “side”, he like our president absolutely thrives on that sort of dynamic) catches me as more blatantly hypocritical. This is mainly due to the fact that, as I touched on above, though the virus is an act of nature there is actually an awful lot we can do to mitigate its affects, on the ground, right now. Meanwhile, all the EPS maps and east side reservations in the world aren’t going to stop a drizzly Memorial Day from killing hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Some serious hyperbole there!   Hurts your case... but you are used to that.    You do it all the time.   :)

I am all for mitigation efforts with the pandemic.   As I have said many times... I always wear a mask in public and I have not seen my parents for months.   Everyone should do their part which will also allow businesses to re-open and mitigate some of the massive damage on the economic side.   There is a balance that can be achieved.   Realizing that pandemics are an inevitable part of the natural order on this planet does not mean we should not do our best to make a difference.   Not sure how many more times I can say that.

And I am 100% aware that none of us control the weather and nothing anyone says or posts will change what actually happens.   I have also said that many times too. 

Tim is anything but stoic. His flappy hands Trump and now Inslee tirades show that quite nicely, let alone his weathe preference-related spazitronics.

Still, I’m not sure any of us can really throw stones. As much as Flatiron wants to come off as the picture of level flight around here, he has his own hypocritical demons to face.

Tim is anything but stoic. His flappy hands Trump and now Inslee tirades show that quite nicely, let alone his weathe preference-related spazitronics.

Still, I’m not sure any of us can really throw stones. As much as Flatiron wants to come off as the picture of level flight around here, he has his own hypocritical demons to face.

Yes... definitely not stoic about Inslee. Too much control in the hands of one misguided and fearful man. Trump and Inslee are not part of the natural order on this planet like viruses and weather. :)

Yes... definitely not stoic about Inslee. Too much control in the hands of one misguided and fearful man. Trump and Inslee are not part of the natural order on this planet like viruses and weather. :)

I can't wait for this new and improved stoic Tim!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Everyone’s got their . No one has a half a million posts worth of it. You get what you give.

I understand trying to be fair and give people equal footing, since obviously none of us are perfect. But if that’s the case it should be a two way street. Equivalency shouldn’t be a means to shield some when convenient, only to be quickly tossed aside when it’s the wrong person doing the wrong things. Kind of goes against the very idea of it.

And yes, blah blah blah, I am sure I have done the very thing I am identifying, at points. Doesn’t make what I am saying any less true. And it’s certainly something I would actively try to break the habit of doing if I identified it in myself. Being fair actually matters a lot to me, believe it or not.

Is projection a demon?

• Like 1

Everyone’s got their s**t. No one has a half a million posts worth of it. You get what you give.

I understand trying to be fair and give people equal footing, since obviously none of us are perfect. But if that’s the case it should be a two way street. Equivalency shouldn’t be a means to shield some when convenient, only to be quickly tossed aside when it’s the wrong person doing the wrong things. Kind of goes against the very idea of it.

And yes, blah blah blah, I am sure I have done the very thing I am identifying, at points. Doesn’t make what I am saying any less true. And it’s certainly something I would actively try to break the habit of doing if I identified it in myself. Being fair actually matters a lot to me, believe it or not.

Hyperbole again! You know its 50,000 and not 500,000.

And if you have not noticed... I stopped riding people for their preferences long ago. And it started with Jim and that was 4 years ago now. Its truly pointless and it does not change the weather anyways. To each their own. Unfortunately you can't ever let it go. Cheering for nice weather is usually met with derision and mocking from you.

Show me where I have mocked or attacked anyone for their preferences this year.

Who cares. It's sunny a lot of places. Many people getting skin cancer.

Very true! But weak effort on your part to streeeeeetch. :)

I think its nice to see the sun. That is all. Nothing more.