May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

I don't care if its 200 inches.     Whatever the normal is there... its been running well above normal for that entire area up there this year.   Same with King County.

Wow then that means it really has been quite rainy since you both live in really, really wet areas that get significantly more rain than the average lowland area anyways.

Wow then that means it's really been quite rainy since you both live in really, really wet areas that get significantly more rain than the average lowland area anyways.

Yes... it can be much wetter than normal in normally wet areas.     That has been the case this year.    ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Remember when we were going to be “paying dearly” for that nice stretch of weather we had back in April...Going a whole week without rainfall was going to lead to major issues this season...Yeah.

It was one of the driest Aprils on record down here. The majority of the month was dry and sunny, it wasn’t just a week.

And I don’t remember anyone saying we would “pay dearly”, just that it would be nice to catch up on rainfall before heading into the dry season, which we are starting to do now.

Although, as has been mentioned, there is pretty much no way most of the region ends up with an above average or even average water year at this point, since the next 3-4 months are the driest of the water year.

• Like 1

Another interesting stat... through the end of May last year the Cedar Lake station was 35.38 inches and right now its just under 70 inches.   Last year was unusually dry and this year has been unusually wet.

A very different year indeed.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

And, Here. We. Go.

I was about to run what we had for dinner last night past you to make sure none of the ingredients offended you. I guess we could move the discussion away from weather and back in that direction. ;)

It was one of the driest Aprils on record down here. The majority of the month was dry and sunny, it wasn’t just a week.

And I don’t remember anyone saying we would “pay dearly”, just that it would be nice to catch up on rainfall before heading into the dry season, which we are starting to do now.

Although, as has been mentioned, there is pretty much no way most of the region ends up with an above average or even average water year at this point, since the next 3-4 months are the driest of the water year.

Many places around here only had a couple hundredths of an inch of rain through the first 18 days of the month. My location didn’t get its first rainfall until April 18th...was a 19 day dry streak at my house which is one of the longest I’ve recorded in the springtime.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Had a fun day of storm chasing yesterday. We ended up taking advantage of a relative break in the action late morning through early afternoon and hiked the Packwood Lake trail. Although, there was a small band of thunderstorms that moved over around 11am that made some VERY loud thunder echoing off the mountains up there. Pretty cool.

Then hopped over White Pass and down through Naches and Yakima. It turned from cool and cloudy to sunny, warm and very humid on the east side. We hit the “‘MCS” around 4:30pm heading over Satus Pass toward Goldendale. There were sheets of rain, constant thunder and lightning, and 60mph winds. Was getting a little worried about flash flooding or lots of standing water on the road at points. Some extremely heavy rain. We got down the other side and stopped to get gas at Biggs Junction, but they had lost power. There also appeared to be some tree damage around there from the high winds. The west side of The Dalles still had power at their gas station, fortunately.

• Like 5

For historical context... SEA is at 3.19 inches for May now which is now the 8th wettest May in history there.   

And just about to pass 2011 for the 7th wettest spot... only .01 to go.

Had a fun day of storm chasing yesterday. We ended up taking advantage of a relative break in the action late morning through early afternoon and hiked the Packwood Lake trail. Although, there was a small band of thunderstorms that moved over around 11am that made some VERY loud thunder echoing off the mountains up there. Pretty cool.

Then hopped over White Pass and down through Naches and Yakima. It turned from cool and cloudy to sunny, warm and very humid on the east side. We hit the “‘MCS” around 4:30pm heading over Satus Pass toward Goldendale. There were sheets of rain, constant thunder and lightning, and 60mph winds. Was getting a little worried about flash flooding or lots of standing water on the road at points. Some extremely heavy rain. We got down the other side and stopped to get gas at Biggs Junction, but they had lost power. There also appeared to be some tree damage around there from the high winds. The west side of The Dalles still had power at their gas station, fortunately.

Dinner?

I was getting ready to head over to visit my buddy who was in Camp Sherman and check out some storms when I heard about the hail in S. Deschutes/ N. Klamath counties. I figured home was a better choice

That sounds pretty good actually, I almost believed the tofu though, that stuff is nasty.

We will eat tofu sometimes. It’s all about preparation.

We did snag a bunch of fresh Yakima Valley asparagus at a produce stand in Naches yesterday. Excited to try that in a few different dishes.

Storm total here was 1.15 inches... which is actually less than SEA.

The Cedar Lake station near me ended well above normal for May at almost 10 inches and is now already approaching the total rain for all of 2019. That station is just under 70 inches for the year compared to 81.80 inches for all of 2019.

That station is also just about 20 inches above normal for the year.

SEA is 3.57 inches above normal for the year. Its been a wet year so far in King County.

#juststaystoic

A forum for the end of the world.

#juststaystoic

Yep. It is what it is... and with a Nina developing it might continue for quite awhile. Helps to keep expectations low.

Life is hard. Many die from drizzle.

Just gotta keep perspective.

You are really stretching now. Sorry you don't like an honest view on human fragility.

WFO SEA is over 4 inches for the month... which 200% of normal there.

Almost 2” yesterday and almost up to 1/2” today and coming down hard still. Seem to be continuing the wetter theme just to the north of seattle. This looks to be because the convergence zone has been further south than normal.

Looks like thanks to the half inch we got yesterday, EUG will finally have another wetter than normal month. We are absolutely bush league for the water year tho. Bottom 10 territory maybe?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

You have created the extreme irony, my friend. :)

There is no irony... its a simple view that nature is in control and we are here for just a short time.

Which is ironic when contrasted with your views on the weather.

I have the same view on the weather.    Nature is in control.   Following it closely and cheering for weather I like does not mean I am not acutely aware of that fact.

Nice day

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I have the same view on the weather.    Nature is in control.   Following it closely and cheering for weather I like does not mean I am not acutely aware of that fact.

Your views on weather have not been nearly as stoic. Even recently saying you didn't want to look at the EPS because "there was enough bad news".

Gotta sleep in the bed you made.  :D

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Your views on weather have not been nearly as stoic. Even recently saying you didn't want to look at the EPS because "there was enough bad news".

Gotta sleep in the bed you made.  :D

Probably one of the biggest hypocrites I’ve ever seen in my life.