May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

It’s not black and white. I agree to some extent with the broader point, but just because something is technically correct doesn’t mean it isn’t a deflection meant to shield some 1’s favorite devilish underdog to advocate 4 from a well-earned line of attack.

Eh. You just want to perpetuate the myth because I’m not uncomfortable with looking like I might not hate Tim with every viral shedding fiber of my being.

Tim’s assertion of his stoic attitude about anything weather related is pretty absurd, let alone Jay Inslee or Donald Trump. He’s trying to desperately to separate the two while Flatty tried desperately to mix them. Then when the mixing got turned on him a little it really upset Phil for some reason. Shocker.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Of course they’re different issues. Vastly different. One requires emergent action while the other may not require any action at all.

The point is that in an effort to take a steadfast position on the virus, there’s some overdramatization, manipulation and cherry picking of facts to fit what is the preferred narrative. The same occurs within the climate debate. The hypocrisy lies in the fact that a few folks here are first to the bar to order up a drink to minimize warming (not its impacts, mind you) while taking a fairly alarmist stance with the virus.

Okay? Holding different positions on vastly different issues isn’t “hypocritical” unless there’s no objective, data-driven reason to take said different positions.

We know covid-19 is killing hundreds of thousands of people around the world, and that the spread is still increasing. We know it’s forcing the world into a recession beyond anything observed since the 1930s.

We have no indication climate warming is doing likewise. There’s more evidence suggesting it’s aiding the increase in agricultural production and life expectancy, as warm periods historically have. There’s also no evidence humans can slow climate trends like we can slow the spread of a pandemic virus. Even if we could, the climate system has a tendency to change abruptly on its own, possibly unforced and to a magnitude far beyond anything we’ve experienced to-date.

So yeah, they’re different enough to warrant different perspectives.

Of course they’re different issues. Vastly different. One requires emergent action while the other may not require any action at all.

The point is that in an effort to take a steadfast position on the virus, there’s some overdramatization, manipulation and cherry picking of facts to fit what is the preferred narrative. The same occurs within the climate debate. The hypocrisy lies in the fact that a few folks here are first to the bar to order up a drink to minimize warming (not its impacts, mind you) while taking a fairly alarmist stance with the virus.

Okay? Holding different positions on vastly different issues isn’t “hypocritical” unless there’s no objective, data-driven reason to take said different positions.

We know covid-19 is killing hundreds of thousands of people around the world, and that the spread is still increasing. We know it’s forcing the world into a recession beyond anything observed since the 1930s.

We have no indication climate warming is doing likewise. There’s more evidence suggesting it’s aiding the increase in agricultural production and life expectancy, as warm periods historically have. There’s also no evidence humans can slow climate trends like we can slow the spread of a pandemic virus. Even if we could, the climate system has a tendency to change abruptly on its own, possibly unforced and to a magnitude far beyond anything we’ve experienced to-date.

So yeah, they’re different enough to warrant different perspectives.

Eh. You just want to perpetuate the myth because I’m not uncomfortable with looking like I might not hate Tim with every viral shedding fiber of my being.

Tim’s assertion of his stoic attitude about anything weather related is pretty absurd, let alone Jay Inslee or Donald Trump. He’s trying to desperately to separate the two while Flatty tried desperately to mix them. Then when the mixing got turned on him a little it really upset Phil for some reason. Shocker.

I have become much more stoic about the weather over the years. We know we can move whenever we want. Keeping expectations in line with climo helps too.

I am definitely not stoic about Trump and Inslee!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What was I upset about? Can’t be too bad since I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I have become much more stoic about the weather over the years. We know we can move whenever we want. Keeping expectations in line with climo helps too.

I am definitely not stoic about Trump and Inslee!

Dude, even Jesse couldn’t claim being anywhere near stoic about the weather and you’re three miles further down the spazzy tracks from him.

• Like 2

Filtered sun here. 65F.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Dude, even Jesse couldn’t claim being anywhere near stoic about the weather and you’re three miles further down the spazzy tracks from him.

I’m far from stoic about the weather. Fine admitting that.

I’m guessing most of us care more than the average person since we’re all here posting all the time.

• Like 1

Maybe so... but my expectations are so low. Any nice day is a bonus. Makes it easier to be happy.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Got some good hikes in before the weather turned to crap. Wednesday went up to Paradise park on Mt. Hood -almost, turned around when I hit about 5200 feet due to the 6 feet or so of snow, found a cool little snow-free meadow on my way back(first pic), Friday I did Mirror lake, never been up there before, a few too many people but still beautiful (second pic). Last Sunday I did Tamanawas Falls, another good one, just too many people..

IMG_20200527_134533.jpg

IMG_20200527_120304.jpg

IMG_20200529_104942.jpg

IMG_20200524_164536.jpg

• Like 4

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

For the record, I don’t hate anyone here. I, like you, think there is no problem with people being held accountable for their behavior here, though. That includes me. I often feel like I am still paying for past misconduct with some of our exchanges, which I understand I should expect to some degree.

The incongruity surfaces whenever Tim is getting grilled (usually deservedly) and you somehow feel the need to immediately jump in and try to make it about whoever is doing the grilling, instead. It happens every time, and no one else here receives that kind of special treatment. Like I said, I understand wanting to see things fairly, but equality is a two way street. Or it least it should be to in order to actually live up to its definition. Otherwise it’s just becomes coddling cleverly disguised as a crusade for fairness.

For the record, I don’t hate anyone here. I, like you, think there is no problem with people being held accountable for their behavior here, though. That includes me. I often feel like I am still paying for past misconduct with some of our exchanges, which I understand I should expect to some degree.

The incongruity surfaces whenever Tim is getting grilled (usually deservedly) and you somehow feel the need to immediately jump in and try to make it about whoever is doing the grilling, instead. It happens every time, and no one else here receives that kind of special treatment. Like I said, I understand wanting to see things fairly, but equality is a two way street. Or it least it should be to in order to actually live up to its definition. Otherwise it’s just becomes coddling cleverly disguised as a crusade for fairness.

Eh, this is more ad hominem. My opinions on Tim are pretty well-publicized. Nice guy and l like him. Good family man as far as I can tell and he has a nice yard, likes to go on vacation and posts too much while on them. Passionate and knowledgeable about the weather and follows it with a OCD level of obsession and is desperate to normalize his obsessive behavior. Loves to make sure we know snow melts and that the sun can be felt when it’s cold out. He is stubborn, closed minded and will shift the goal posts when needed although he’s not the only person here that will employ that tactic.

Where I separate myself from the pack is how passionately people will go out of their way to make a polarizing figure even more polarizing through the use of almost constant ad hominem. Phil is the biggest instigator in that. It kind of reminds me of these protests where people poke the bear, get him riled up and then play the victim when the obsessive bear won’t let it go. He doesn’t know how to let it go, yet people still engage him and then lose their minds as well in the process. You’re never gonna get me on board with that. And for that I am truly sorry.

• Like 2

What’s the point? That he gets special treatment? I disagree with that. Show it.

I just think you get yourself so wound up about him it drives you insane to not have everyone in lock step with a movement to eliminate him from our little community. You’ve paraded putting him on ignore and called for his banning, both of which are rash and unsubstantiated. I can’t help it if he gets that far under your skin. Regardless of preferences, no one here currently rises to that level.

Well I know now that you think all of this, which at least begins to describe your behavior. I imagine it would be fun to act in such a way that undermined the evil Jesse that lives in your head. ;)

And of course our own community admin did in fact ban both you and him earlier this very year. So there’s that... I did speak up for YOU to come back. :wub:

Well I know now that you think all of this, which at least begins to describe your behavior.

It’s all been said before. This is all scorched earth. In fact, if you’re still all lathered up over it send a PM.

Nice looking 00z GFS run.

For some reason the ensemble site I use has been reverting back to November 24, 2016 though

attachicon.gifAB7F4DAF-1586-4D68-8FC0-DD1821ADA686.png

Would be a wonderful analog.

Try using this one:

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?model=gfs&lid=ENS&var=201&bw=&geoid=135728

I moved to the lower Deschutes River area. It's absolutely gorgeous here

I can’t understand why a nomad like you would get so hung up on whether we see some typical June weather west of the Cascades this week.