August 2023 Observations and Discussion

westMJim

3 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

I'm beginning to think we may all grow gills to breathe at this point. 🤣

I've literally been physically looking at the GOM in my life and never felt a dewpoint like the other day without fog. 

In fact, the number of times I remember seeing dew at these extreme night low temps in my life is very few in August. 

It's unbelievable what this kind of extreme humidity does to the body and especially ppl who have to work outside.  I feel bad for construction workers and HVAC guys who have to go on the roofs.  Man, that's gotta be rough!

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

One of the warmest and muggiest mornings I've experience living here in Chicago...

Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 5.38.14 AM.png

Not to mention, but we are setting record highs and record low min's in this Mini  Heat Wave...yesterday, I walked down the block during the afternoon and passed by new asphalt that was laid down and instantly thought of @Andiewhen she commented about the heat one day on here that resembled what I felt walking past it.  It literally felt like a furnace blowing hot air in your face in the full sun and was about 10+ degrees hotter.

ORD topped out at a record high of 98F, set a record low min of 77F (iirc) and may touch the "Century Mark" today which is the record for the date.  Let's do this!

The kind of heat we’ve experienced has been a combo of sauna and blast furnace. This has been an extraordinary summer.

Oklahoma has joined us in this shake-n-bake season. It’s been unique in that it hasn’t been reported on nationally a great deal in the news regarding it’s affects. Weather stations, yes.  
This summer has been a test of endurance, both physical and mental. It’s also affected peoples psychological well being.  

107 today, tomorrow, Saturday. 
Lows 84. 

Edit:

This is worth a look  

Re: El Niño/La Ninas & Walker Circulation  
https://phys.org/news/2023-08-el-nio-la-nia-multi-year.html

• Thanks 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Hasn't this been an awesome Summer up north?  BTW, what is the water temp of the local lakes by you.  I'm curious bc as you said nighttime temps have been lower and not much heat to warm them up.

Besides one week in late June they have been 70 to 74 max on lakes I fish. It's been a refreshing summer...not too many float in the lake and watch the sunset evenings. 

• Like 3

Looking like 3 more hot days of near 100 F temps with decent humidity. Sunday looks cooler with some rain chances as a front drops in. Medium range still looking toasty as ridging nudges back north. Assuming we do get some rain could get another humid day or two.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

We picked up .03" of light rain this AM with some more showers and even some t-storms possible tonight into tomorrow AM. The showers should be gone by tomorrow night with another beautiful weekend on the way with near normal temps on Saturday and then below normal by Sunday and Monday.
Records for today: High 94 (1898) / Low 43 (1923) / Rain 1.40" (1945)
image.png.18fdd3808d982f30ac724010ae43acff.png

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

2 hours ago, Andie said:

The kind of heat we’ve experienced has been a combo of sauna and blast furnace. This has been an extraordinary summer.

Oklahoma has joined us in this shake-n-bake season. It’s been unique in that it hasn’t been reported on nationally a great deal in the news regarding it’s affects. Weather stations, yes.  
This summer has been a test of endurance, both physical and mental. It’s also affected peoples psychological well being.  

107 today, tomorrow, Saturday. 
Lows 84. 

Edit:

This is worth a look  

Re: El Niño/La Ninas & Walker Circulation  
https://phys.org/news/2023-08-el-nio-la-nia-multi-year.html

The 127°F HI with a DP of 85°F in Jay, OK on August 21st is a record for OK Mesonet. I have images of them from a previous post.

• scream 2

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

5 hours ago, Tom said:

One of the warmest and muggiest mornings I've experience living here in Chicago...

Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 5.38.14 AM.png

Not to mention, but we are setting record highs and record low min's in this Mini  Heat Wave...yesterday, I walked down the block during the afternoon and passed by new asphalt that was laid down and instantly thought of @Andiewhen she commented about the heat one day on here that resembled what I felt walking past it.  It literally felt like a furnace blowing hot air in your face in the full sun and was about 10+ degrees hotter.

ORD topped out at a record high of 98F, set a record low min of 77F (iirc) and may touch the "Century Mark" today which is the record for the date.  Let's do this!

As far as potentially hitting 100 at ORD, it looks more borderline to me now.  I was originally thinking that it would happen fairly easily, and perhaps even go a degree or two over, but mixing seems a little shallower (dewpoint at ORD is still 78) and winds don't have as large of a westerly component as originally progged.  100 is certainly still possible, but it looks like it won't be so easy.

• Like 1

The clearing line is very close but it is still cloudy with fog here in MBY I have a temperature of 84 with a dew point of 79. Holland has 89 with clear skies and a dew point of 78.Muskegon has a temp of 85 with a dew point of 76. Not sure if the clearing will get here or not. At the current time radar is clear with no storms to be found yet. Looks like the enhanced area is just to the east of Grand Rapids. Here is a site for visible satellite.
https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/wisc/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's 100 at ORD, which is the first 100+ degree temp there since July 6, 2012.  Also, the heat index of 118 ties the mark from the infamous July 1995 heatwave. 

Pretty impressed that it hit 100 with dewpoints remaining in the upper 70s.

I was at the store when I refreshed the LOT page and saw the 100F temp…I said to myself, “Hoosier must be seeing this now also”…I can deal with 100F all day any day in AZ, but this is another level!

• Like 2
  • scream 1

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

just left Costco and looked north and saw what could be the beginning of a line of storms the high Rez NAM was showing.  There are towering storm clouds in the distance.  I hope this line does materialize.

The is now a 95% chance of a watch for lower Michigan.

• Like 1
  • Storm 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I was at the store when I refreshed the LOT page and saw the 100F temp…I said to myself, “Hoosier must be seeing this now also”…I can deal with 100F all day any day in AZ, but this is another level!

Sure is.

Some perspective from LOT:

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville, IL
301 PM CDT Thu Aug 24 2023

.SHORT TERM...
Issued at 253 PM CDT Thu Aug 24 2023

Through Tonight...

It`s another remarkably hot and humid day with areawide
temperatures in the mid to upper 90s. Chicago O`hare officially
logged a 100F degree temperature at approximately 2:51 PM, the
first time since July 6th, 2012. In addition, August 24, 2023 is
now tied for the 5th latest 100 degree reading ever on record in
Chicago during the calendar year. If the air temperatures weren`t
hot enough, low-level moisture has struggled to mix downward this
afternoon in spite of full sunshine and southwest winds of 15-20
mph. Surface dew points remain in the upper 70s to lower 80s
areawide, including over the urban core of Chicago where moisture
tends to mix more aggressively compared to outlying areas. As a
result, heat indices range from 110F to locally 120F degrees at
press time, with an earlier hourly heat index observation of 118F
at Chicago O`Hare (100T/79Td). With a peak heat index near 116F
yesterday, Chicago O`hare has officially logged 2 consecutive days
with heat indices above 115F. This is an incredible (and frankly,
somber) feat that has only occurred a few times in recorded
history with the last time during the historic heat wave of 1995.
All in all, we`re experiencing a historic and dangerous heat wave.
Continue to check in with loved ones and neighbors and dial 911
if you or someone else is experiencing symptoms of heat related
illness.
  • Like 3

105 outside. Feels like 108
so- 

Maybe we should talk about Fall. Like when tha heck is it goin’ to show up?!          

E46DB8AA-891A-4D75-8C2C-98B6484FE1BC.jpeg

• Sun 1
  • scream 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

I expected today to be the hottest, temp-wise, thanks to a lower dew point.  However, Cedar Rapids maxed out at 99º.  Yesterday, we reached a heat index of 120º, but today only 110º.

• Like 3
  • scream 2
  • Facepalm 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I expected today to be the hottest, temp-wise, thanks to a lower dew point.  However, Cedar Rapids maxed out at 99º.  Yesterday, we reached a heat index of 120º, but today only 110º.

Same here, higher temp thanks to lower dewpoints.  But my first time over 100f im several years.

IMG_20230824_153609_848.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sun 3

Just now, westMJim said:

The storm is over here. A lot of lightning, thunder and some wind. A total of 0.40" of rain here. A lot of power outages to the east of my house. Temperature has dropped down to 73 and the dew point is down to 69.

There was a violent tornado north of the city on radar, there was a Debris Ball and a DEEP CC Drop

17 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

There was a HUGE tornado on the ground north of Grand Rapids, MI! It had a Debris Ball with it!

Nothing on the local news. There were a few trees down to the north on me and there was a report of some damage to the east of GR

I was sleeping when it occurred, but there was another tornado on an Interstate near Webberville (having a hard time deciphering on which state it came from) this was likely MUCH stronger compared to the one north of Grand Rapids as the signature appeared to be stronger.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, westMJim said:

That was to the north of where I live. 

There was another one in Webberville, MI (Location confirmed), and it was MUCH stronger compared to the one near Grand Rapids, MI

• Like 3

Looks like the 0z GFS is trying to catch onto the idea of a tropical system heading toward the Carolina coast while another one forms in the gulf at the end of the run.  Gary has had this in his long range forecast since spring.  I hope this pans out and brings some relief for @Andie

image.thumb.png.00ad670a6469962b52218bc53badace1.png

• Like 3

Yesterday was one wild day. The official H/L at Grand Rapids was 91/71. The highest reported Dew Point was 80. Here in MBY I had a high of 94 with a dew point of 83. Then in the late afternoon the storms formed just to the north of Grand Rapids. Here in NW Grand Rapids there was a lot of lightning and thunder. There was wind that took some small branches off of the trees. And Here in MBY I had 0.40” of rain fall. The official amount at GRR was only reported as 0.12” Over all it looks like Lansing received the most rain fall. There are still around 185,000 with out power.

Well, the "mini", but intense Heat Wave delivered a RECORD setting Heat Index at ORD yesterday reaching 120F and tying the record high of 100F and only the 5th time this late in the season.  Thankfully, it is over and we have some delightful sunny days ahead this weekend into the following week with a long stretch of comfy DP's in the 50s and at times in the upper 40's.  As they say around here, we got some "Northwoods Air" to contend with and I'm sure the bon fires will be enfuego!

8:23 - 8:34 LOT Chicago Heat Wave.png

My gut and intuition is telling me that the NW NAMER ridge is going to be a common LRC theme as we head into OCT/NOV.  The signs from nature are pretty evident...all you gotta do is look at this Forest Fire map...

Canadian Wild Fires_WGN Graphic_8-25-23.webp

• Like 2

Here is some information on the storms last night here in the Grand Rapids area.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Severe weather rolled through West Michigan Thursday evening, causing damage and widespread power outages.

Warnings were issued as the line of storms intensified, a tornado warning was issued. The National Weather Service will likely conduct damage surveys on Friday to determine whether storm damage was caused by straight-line winds or a tornado.

The line continued to intensify as it moved southeast, with widespread power outages across portions of Ionia County. Winds of 70-80 m.p.h. were reported in Eaton County as the same line rolled through.

Alpine Avenue near 6 Mile Road and 7 Mile Road in Alpine Township is impassible, the sheriff’s office said. Sgt. Eric Brunner with the Kent County Sheriff’s Office said a building was destroyed in that block and a roof from across the street was in the middle of Alpine Avenue. Drivers were warned to stay off the roadway. US-131 near Post Drive was blocked due to powerlines across the freeway, Michigan State Police said, As of around 7 a.m. Friday, more than 185,900 customers were without power.

Consumers Energy said crews will be out assessing the damage Friday morning with more than 1,000 people working around the clock to restore power through the weekend.

• Like 2

Just north of my area by a few miles.  But for sure a tornado.  We had straight line winds of 70 mph at least.  Major damage around my area.  Trees down everywhere.   I got my kids in the basement before the sirens even blew after i saw the signature on velocity radar.  Two cells merge and a tornado for sure spun up.  Don't think it was on the ground long, but it ripped apart a few houses and neighborhoods just north of my area. 

Closest call to a tornado in my lifetime.  Much scarier when you have a house and kids.   

My brother in law was on a golf course right where the tornado signature was.  He got trapped there as a tree fell on the road and there is only one way in or out.  

wind.JPG.993dd2401a81be29d87854c34124dfc0.JPGpossibletornado.JPG.9438548dfbaebc35da4a92490ebd6efd.JPGtornado.JPG.246c757dde24b23ae34fd51a6481dff1.JPG

• Like 4
  • scream 4

Well, we have some clouds this morning, which is nice.  It might not rain again until mid September.

• Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

3 hours ago, Clinton said:

Looks like the 0z GFS is trying to catch onto the idea of a tropical system heading toward the Carolina coast while another one forms in the gulf at the end of the run.  Gary has had this in his long range forecast since spring.  I hope this pans out and brings some relief for @Andie

image.thumb.png.00ad670a6469962b52218bc53badace1.png

No one want damage and loss of any kind, just a good Low to come in and shake this atmosphere up.  
The air is so awful and the heat unbearable.  I’m so tired of this headache from high pressure and lousy air. 
Re: Fire threats. Our golf course is surrounded by ranch land on 3 sides. They’ve been pouring lake water to the course to avoid wildfires. Homes are all along that ranch land.  All it takes is a spark.  
We’ve seen them here before. Last time was in 2008.  
85 degrees at 7am

High of 106/7 today. Indices higher.  

• Like 1

Damage from my parent's house.   I live a few blocks away.   No damage.   My basketball hoop fell over though.   They were lucky with no real damage to the house.  Just some spindles off the deck the big branch landed on.  Did not break the slider glass.  

tree1.JPG.de140a71fcd56a613aacb6389126de41.JPGtree2.JPG.75dbb29bb650da7892213d69af093a3e.JPGtree3.JPG.56e20f50ecfecb07761d926cc5a965ba.JPGtree4.JPG.69cd4b119aeb90f37a67d8832343867e.JPGtree5.JPG.46d4be5587b2860692bc514b4d721855.JPG

• Like 6