1/8-1/10 Panhandle Hook

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Would be curious to get LOT's take on it, but I think that front end snow could have like 1" per hour rates.  Won't last super long though which will keep totals from getting too high.

Thanks LOT 😃

Issued at 300 AM CST Sun Jan 7 2024

Monday night through Saturday...

Key Messages:

* Snow arrives Monday night. Roughly 6 hour window in which snow
  rates may briefly exceed 1 inch per hour exists, particularly
  along and south of I-80 with a likelihood for challenging AM
  commutes.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jayhawker85 said:

This is turning into a nowcast situation with all the models being split. SIGH!

NWS Hastings mentioned in its forecast zone, that the southern counties will be tricky with thermal issues and where does the dry air punch into. I’m sure that will be the issue on the southern side of the storm as a whole.  Good luck. 

• Like 2

Models are not totally favorable for Cedar Rapids.  The GDPS continues to track the main defo zone farther southeast and mostly misses us with it.  Totals here are down on the 12z run.  Likewise, the 12z UK is down as the best defo zone snow moves up through the Quad Cites.

image.thumb.png.faf26b343df514c0ad4a311d557d3c3f.png

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

27 minutes ago, Clinton said:

We shouldn't expect anything less lol

I’m very surprised that channel 13 in Jeff City is still forecasting 3-5 inches with a spread of 1-8 inches. NWS STL has Jeff City getting 1-2. Interesting. He didn’t say what he thought Columbia would get.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, uticasnow said:

I know alot of people are dissapointed by this storm, but in all reality the thermal profiles and lack of cold air was known well before all the hoopla took place.

I think the disappointment for some is the storm taking a decisive turn north late in the game.

• Like 4

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

14 minutes ago, uticasnow said:

Actually it started trending north 4+ days ago from when we first started tracking the storm

There was a general consensus of KS and MO being within the target zone for many days though there were questions about the thermals which I believe most folks were aware of. It has now trended mostly into NE and IA more or less since yesterday. I think that's how most KS and MO folks will look at it. Even local NWS offices issued watches that may not be needed.

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 hour ago, uticasnow said:

I know alot of people are dissapointed by this storm, but in all reality the thermal profiles and lack of cold air was known well before all the hoopla took place.

Very true. The main issue is when does the rain turn to snow and how long will it snow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

At least the 12z Euro is bringing back some love for the Chicago folks and a few others.

Compared to 00z Euro?  Actually looks a bit worse in most of N IL except maybe immediate Chicago.

sn10_acc-imp.us_mw.thumb.png.b2b4694a77c82a082be4d3968db398ca.png

sn10_acc-imp.us_mw-1.thumb.png.8552aa88b7bf79af24abb33b5cf1b0fc.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The UK, GDPS, and Euro all ticked back southeast this morning.  The heavier defo zone snow may miss me to the southeast.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Compared to 00z Euro?  Actually looks a bit worse in most of N IL except maybe immediate Chicago.

sn10_acc-imp.us_mw.thumb.png.b2b4694a77c82a082be4d3968db398ca.png

sn10_acc-imp.us_mw-1.thumb.png.8552aa88b7bf79af24abb33b5cf1b0fc.png

Was actually talking about immediate city/downtown as there was a little improvement there. As far as movement it did trend SE from most of the other models today.

• Like 1

Detroit was hinting thisi morning that temps are trending a little cooler than previously forecast:

A forecast trend from 24 hour ago has
been for a slight delay precipitation onset. It is quite possible
that snow will hold off until after the morning commute particularly
north of M 59 and/or I 69 corridors. The other change has been for a
slightly cooler atmosphere column by a degree or two Celsius. As a
result, there is lower confidence on when precipitation will
changeover to rain. Given the projected UVV response, more efficient
wet bulb cooling could delay the changeover to rain by an hour or
two. Thus, preference is to carry snow accumulations through noon for
many areas particularly in the higher elevation of the Irish Hills
  • Like 1

It's more true here than anywhere else, but I know you all understand lol

image.gif

• lol 6

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I haven't used the RAP model much so I don't know how accurate it can be or what tendencies it has but dang, it drops 10 inches here through just 9AM tomorrow. That's with only the initial WAA band, not including the second round with the main system. That just can't be right.

18zRAPCrazy.png

• Confused 1