1/8-1/10 Panhandle Hook

• Tom pinned this topic

Looks like 12z Euro might end up going a bit north too since the initial trough is lagging. We will see soon. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

The Euro elongates the SLP way up into MN which appears to produce an inverted trough?  This does produce some snow farther north near IA/MN as the main low takes shape in TX.  Less of a dynamic storm in this set up.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The trough never cuts off as hard on the ECMWF so it retains a little cooler air on the backside. So even though the storm is weaker and further north it gives me a bit more snow anyway. The 10-1 maps look like 1-2" so with appropriate SLP ratios that's probably like an inch. I guess its something. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

It won't really pertain to this storm, but I like how it stays colder in northwest Canada since the trough remains more focused, might help with other snow chances down the road. 

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

It'll be a noteworthy trend if the EPS pulls back on the snow mean...

I'd rather see the model foolishness now instead of at 3-4 days out (of course it happens then too sometimes).  It's still like 6 days until this thing enters the Plains.  Long time to go.

• Like 4

In regards to the LRC, I think the CMC solution is the best match from the 12z runs this morning. Thus, I am somewhat optimistic the GFS and Euro could trend a little more favorably for MBY in future runs.

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

7 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

12z EPS shifted south from 00z and increased totals for some in Missouri and surrounding areas. 

Pretty much all of that in southern KS is from the 1st system. System #2 is a no show...darn it. lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

12z EPS probabilities of 3+ inches. Again, a pretty decent shift south with the heaviest axis vs it's 00z run. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-central-snow_ge_3-5276800.png

Even if my place is in a bad spot on there, I'm happy to see the North shore in the >90% zone. They need the snow the most.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Right now it appears the GFS/CMC are tight with each other and that Uncle Ukie is trying to join the party but can't get a ride. The Euro is not invited. 

• Like 2
  • lol 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yeah, that 18z GFS looks a lot better as others have noted and I thought it might come around again. Of course, it does put me in a snow hole but nothing to be concerned about for now.

• Like 4

I don’t know what you call it.  We call it rain.  Much needed.  

FD9BAA16-00C9-4E8B-B852-4ACD6ED16BE4.png

• Like 1
  • Rain 2
  • bongocat-test 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

6 hours ago, mlgamer said:

In regards to the LRC, I think the CMC solution is the best match from the 12z runs this morning. Thus, I am somewhat optimistic the GFS and Euro could trend a little more favorably for MBY in future runs.

Todays 12z Euro did take the low into the Ark/Lo/Tex region  similar to cycle 1.  I think there is going to be a lot more twist and turns the next couple days.  

Todays 12z Euro:

1704758400-PH1SjrCnIuI.png

Cycle 1:

1.thumb.gif.2c851fdf9fed28c1fc4918fdcb1ad32a.gif

• Like 4