January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

12 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

The temps starting out with this event versus December 2022. Is a big difference. Rain started at 24 degrees here. Would be closer to freezing at the start this time. 

That’s a good point. And Dec 2022 wasn’t even bad here. Just got a light glaze on everything. I think it was lack of precip that bailed us out there.

Love the setting sun against the Cascades on winter evenings like this.   Also pics taken at 5:05 p.m. and it was pitch dark at that time a couple weeks ago.    The first signs of the warm season coming! 

20240114_170538.jpg

20240114_170334.jpg

• Like 10
  • lol 2
  • Sick 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

That’s a good point. And Dec 2022 wasn’t even bad here. Just got a light glaze on everything. I think it was lack of precip that bailed us out there.

And it will be in the low 40s Tuesday afternoon before the event.   Can't remember any freezing rain happening in that situation.   It's pretty rare.   It will happen but doubt it's really bad.

• scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

It was pretty severe in Seattle but nobody was out on the roads when it started. Parked cars were spontaneously sliding down hills and a few people wrecked. It was not bad enough to break tree limbs, however. If that thing would have hit in the middle of the day it would have been a different story. 

Just now, Winterdog said:

That was Seattles temps!  My high temp was 28.4 so chew on that Mossy.

Oh 😂

• Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It was pretty severe in Seattle but nobody was out on the roads when it started. Parked cars were spontaneously sliding down hills and a few people wrecked. It was not bad enough to break tree limbs, however. If that thing would have hit in the middle of the day it would have been a different story. 

Yeah I was thinking more from a power outage standpoint. Roads were definitely a $hitshow in Dec 2022. I was lucky and was able to stay home then. Plan to do so Weds as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It would really be something if this think came in on a south track. 

What I was wondering though is it seems like the upper levels are warm and freezing rain is falling even in the north interior north of where the low tracks through?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slushy Inch said:

Looks like 6 members on 18eps

Better than 0! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

What I was wondering though is it seems like the upper levels are warm and freezing rain is falling even in the north interior north of where the low tracks through?

I was thinking the exact same thing.   Upper levels are really not favorable.

Here is 18Z EPS... a few south stragglers there which tells us the low might be really weak.   But not many showing significant snow in Seattle    

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-or_wa-mslp_with_low_locs-5514400.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-or_wa-snow_total_multimember_panel_ecmwf_a-5557600.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-or_wa-snow_total_multimember_panel_ecmwf_b-5557600.png

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

It will be snow north of this low. There's going to be new cold coming down in a trough meeting up with the low. 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.   Upper levels are really not favorable.

Here is 18Z EPS... a few south stragglers there which tells the low might be really weak.   But not many showing significant snow in Seattle    

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-or_wa-mslp_with_low_locs-5514400.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-or_wa-snow_total_multimember_panel_ecmwf_a-5557600.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-or_wa-snow_total_multimember_panel_ecmwf_b-5557600.png

Yeah it seems like upper level temperatures are a bigger problem than the position of the low. Even if it comes in south of the area. 

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It will be snow north of this low. There's going to be new cold coming down in a trough meeting up with the low. 

Yeah so could a stronger low further south pull down cold air from an upper level perspective? Or could it not really change the upper levels and just pull offshore flow at the surface and keep it freezing rain longer?

• Like 5

Yeah it seems like upper level temperatures are a bigger problem than the position of the low. Even if it comes in south of the area. 

Its marginal for snow even up north.  

ecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-t925-5525200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-t850_anom_stream-5525200.png

If this low came in say long Beach and went east from there the Puget Sound would get dumped on. I'd betbmy corvette on it

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

If this low came in say long Beach and went east from there the Puget Sound would get dumped on. I'd betbmy corvette on it

Maybe not if the low so weak that it has also has a weak wind field.    The EPS has members showing the low south of Seattle but not any members showing a massive dump of snow in Seattle.

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Control run...

ecmwf-ensemble-c00-or_wa-total_snow_10to1-5708800.png

Good improvement, blue is much closer to me now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Normally that seems like it would be the case but even as of today the only cold is in the lower levels near the surface. Upper level cold is mostly gone now. Seems like we need cold air to be pulled in from the upper levels in BC to maintain snow through the whole column. 

• Like 1

One more note on the ice storm... seems like it would be tough to fit in a really bad ice storm in here when the lowest temp in Seattle after midnight on Tuesday is 31.  

ecmwf-ensemble-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-5255200.png

Just now, MossMan said:

Conflicting reports! 

Very, complicated set up!   None of us really know anything.   Nature will make the call.  

• Excited 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Very, complicated set up!   None of us really know anything.   Nature will make the call.  

One thing we know for sure…NBC is back on Directv!! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Conflicting reports! 

It is a unique set up for sure. Like snowmizer said normally a low tracking in like that would mean snowfall on the north side of the low. Doesn’t look like that’s the case now with an inversion set up basically. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

All GEFS members for snow.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-or_wa-snow_total_multimember_panel-5654800.png

Some of those look quite good from Marysville north! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

It is a unique set up for sure. Like snowmizer said normally a low tracking in like that would mean snowfall on the north side of the low. Doesn’t look like that’s the case now with an inversion set up basically. 

But then why do several members of both the GFS and Euro have snow in my area if there is no cold air to draw from? 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

But then why do several members of both the GFS and Euro have snow in my area if there is no cold air to draw from? 

I believe upper level temperatures up north are just cold enough from an 850mb temp perspective to deliver snow. They appear to be above freezing down here hence the freezing rain. 

• Like 2

Moderate snow and -12F here currently after a high of -8F. I don't think I've ever seen snowfall this heavy with temps below -10F.

Pretty amazing that the atmosphere can even hold any moisture at this point.

• Like 8
  • Shivering 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history