May 2024 Pacific Northwest Weather

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Anyone have the Euro max temp maps for Friday and Saturday? Normally would post them but pinching pennies and have suspended my WeatherBell subscription for the season.

Here is Friday and Saturday and threw in Sunday since its crashing already that day.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5385600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5472000.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5558400.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

22 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Must be very localized.  All around the Olympics there is no sign of dryness.  HQM, UIL, Sequim, BLI.

You specifically said that all stations around the olympics are at normal departures, yet conveniently ignored PA. Gaslighting me by telling me I'm wrong. I live here. 

Mocking me of a "micro drought", classy. 

• Popcorn 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

2 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

You specifically said that all stations around the olympics are at normal departures, yet conveniently ignored PA. Gaslighting me by telling me I'm wrong. I live here. 

Mocking me of a "micro drought", classy. 

That was Andrew that said "micro drought"... not me.  

I said there was no sign of dryness at the major stations around the Olympics so it must be very localized... which is true.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That was Andrew that said "micro drought"... not me.  

I said there was no sign of dryness at the major stations around the Olympics so it must be very localized... which is true.    

How is Port Angeles not a "major station"? 

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

35 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

How is Port Angeles not a "major station"? 

I didn't see it on the NWS list.   I see it now.   And it just proves how localized the situation is up there.   I never doubted your stats... just that the issue is very odd and very localized.   

12Z EPS doesn't look ridgy at all after short initial round. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1714996800-1714996800-1716292800-10.gif

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

IMG_3383.png

Great map for drought alarmists... but not believable for reasons stated many times here.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Made it to Costa Maya. Was able to see the constellations Centaurus and Crux last night. Grateful to be able to experience this if something happens to me with epilepsy. Thank you so much @Phil 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Thanks for being such great friends @SilverFallsAndrew@TT-SEA @Meatyorologist @iFred @Cold Snap @MossMan @Port Angeles Foothiller @Omegaraptor @Deweydog @snow_wizard @Rubus Leucodermis @TacomaWaWx @ShawniganLake @Dave @Front Ranger @LowerGarfield @Chewbacca Defense @BLI snowman 

And… @Cascadia_Wx I seem to recall you saying that y’all really like spring and it feels like we are having a nice south/north one this time. Thanks for helping keep our forests as pristine as possible and fires at bay. Plus that rain gauge. It works great and accurately. 🙏🏻

I’m hoping to save up for a 16 nighter from Seattle to NOLA for my 40th birthday.

Every day is a gift and I’m grateful to be alive because of what insurance companies have done for me. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

🛳️

8EF65DFF-3529-49A3-914C-A3C820A9288C.jpeg

50B086DA-C894-4715-960C-6C3EA4D4E08C.jpeg

That color is incredible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Great map for drought alarmists... but not believable for reasons stated many times here.  

This is what I don't understand. This chart is almost an exact reflection of the hard rain gauge data in my area. How is my area the only one correct on this map?

image.png.abc6579b4fdeffaf5d778d7043f12514.png

When you look at the last 2 years, the issue gets compounded. Real life people are feeling these numbers in my area. I'm not a "drought alarmist" these are just facts. I made the reasonable assumption that since these maps accurately reflect the issues in my area that they must be somewhat accurate in others. 

image.png.60871cdba7a0ce3000c9314380b45a85.png

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I didn't see it on the NWS list.   I see it now.   And it just proves how localized the situation is up there.   I never doubted your stats... just that the issue is very odd and very localized.   

Can you point me to the site you pull your data from? 

2 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

so the map is only bad when it shows drier than normal?

It seems to only be bad when it proves him wrong. I honestly have no other answer. I'm not sure why I am letting it frustrate me so much. 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

3 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

This is what I don't understand. This chart is almost an exact reflection of the hard rain gauge data in my area. How is my area the only one correct on this map?

image.png.abc6579b4fdeffaf5d778d7043f12514.png

When you look at the last 2 years, the issue gets compounded. Real life people are feeling these numbers in my area. I'm not a "drought alarmist" these are just facts. I made the reasonable assumption that since these maps accurately reflect the issues in my area that they must be somewhat accurate in others. 

image.png.60871cdba7a0ce3000c9314380b45a85.png

Those WRCC maps blend all stations together without regard to completeness of data.   Or data issues like Boeing Field which has major issues currently and is massively under-reporting rainfall amounts.    Lots of the smaller stations frequently have missing days.   With temp maps... missing data could go either way (warm or cold) but when precip data is missing its always in one direction and that is drier than reality.

• Like 1

Going back 3 years, you can see the issues really started after our cold/rainy spring in 2022. Since then the faucet has been a drip for the northern peninsula. Seems like the shadow has shifted West compared to the last 30 year averages, which is an interesting phenomenon.

image.png.acc8278c02876487da73e2e50d6b48aa.png

It seems to only be bad when it proves him wrong. I honestly have no other answer. I'm not sure why I am letting it frustrate me so much. 

See above.    That is just how it works.   I am not trying to be difficult.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Those WRCC maps blend all stations together without regard to completeness of data.   Or data issues like Boeing Field which has major issues currently and is massively under-reporting rainfall amounts.    Lots of the smaller stations frequently have missing days.   With temp maps... missing data could go either way (warm or cold) but when precip data is missing its always in one direction and that is drier than reality.

It is still a blend of hundreds of stations. So, although it may lean dry, it is not an overwhelming lean. You can still pull the trends from the charts. 

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Going back 3 years, you can see the issues really started after our cold/rainy spring in 2022. Since then the faucet has been a drip for the northern peninsula. Seems like the shadow has shifted West compared to the last 30 year averages, which is an interesting phenomenon.

Must be related to more dominant SW flow than usual... only way to explain it.  

that's approaching a trend,  Climatological change may be around the corner if that keeps up

• Weenie 1

Must be related to more dominant SW flow than usual... only way to explain it.  

This shift would almost require a SSW flow or a straight up S flow. 

3 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

It is still a blend of hundreds of stations. So, although it may lean dry, it is not an overwhelming lean. You can still pull the trends from the charts. 

It definitely leans dry.   Any missing data from any station will exaggerate that effect.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

that's approaching a trend,  Climatological change may be around the corner if that keeps up

Could just be varying pattern regimes.

• Like 2

Sorry to go off the rails here. This will be the last graph for a while. But I find it interesting that the north peninsula has also been warmer than average in the same areas as the shifted shadow. Less rain/cloud cover leading to more sunny days I suppose. Sure seems like that typical shadow is moving. 

Am I to assume this also "leans warm"?

image.png.0af93b897e3b2c54edd7d5b4f06d73f9.png

Got all the soil off the driveway, ended up giving a couple of yds to a friend.  I got everything leveled, raked out, seeded, raked out again and rolled by about 4pm Saturday.  Got the tools I rented cleaned up, loaded into the car and returned, and when I walked out of the rental shop, it was raining.  Not much, just enough to wet the pavement, but the gods smiled on me for this project.  The sunny warm days coming up later this week will be an added bonus.

Got .46" of rain Sunday, and did not have any standing water in the back yard (.3" is the magic number) and another .1" this morning. 

One crappy thing that happened though is I went out to see how things looked after the rain, and I had mole tunnels running all over the place.  🤬

So now I guess I need to figure out how to convince them that they need to find someplace else to graze.

• Like 2

Could just be varying pattern regimes.

3 of the 4 years in that dataset are La Nina, one El Nino.  would be interested to see if it continues regardless of ENSO state

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It's only the largest city on the Olympic Peninsula.

And about the same size as the Snoqualmie/North Bend area which is tiny.   😃

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Got all the soil off the driveway, ended up giving a couple of yds to a friend.  I got everything leveled, raked out, seeded, raked out again and rolled by about 4pm Saturday.  Got the tools I rented cleaned up, loaded into the car and returned, and when I walked out of the rental shop, it was raining.  Not much, just enough to wet the pavement, but the gods smiled on me for this project.  The sunny warm days coming up later this week will be an added bonus.

Got .46" of rain Sunday, and did not have any standing water in the back yard (.3" is the magic number) and another .1" this morning. 

One crappy thing that happened though is I went out to see how things looked after the rain, and I had mole tunnels running all over the place.  🤬

So now I guess I need to figure out how to convince them that they need to find someplace else to graze.

If you figure out how to get rid of them, please share the knowledge! They are annoying buggers

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Is pscz supposed to drop south? Just a breezing partly sunny day south of it.

Yes... supposed to drop south later this afternoon and evening.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_6hr_inch-5065200.png

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

1 hour ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Made it to Costa Maya. Was able to see the constellations Centaurus and Crux last night. Grateful to be able to experience this if something happens to me with epilepsy. Thank you so much @Phil 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Thanks for being such great friends @SilverFallsAndrew@TT-SEA @Meatyorologist @iFred @Cold Snap @MossMan @Port Angeles Foothiller @Omegaraptor @Deweydog @snow_wizard @Rubus Leucodermis @TacomaWaWx @ShawniganLake @Dave @Front Ranger @LowerGarfield @Chewbacca Defense @BLI snowman 

And… @Cascadia_Wx I seem to recall you saying that y’all really like spring and it feels like we are having a nice south/north one this time. Thanks for helping keep our forests as pristine as possible and fires at bay. Plus that rain gauge. It works great and accurately. 🙏🏻

I’m hoping to save up for a 16 nighter from Seattle to NOLA for my 40th birthday.

Every day is a gift and I’m grateful to be alive because of what insurance companies have done for me. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

🛳️

8EF65DFF-3529-49A3-914C-A3C820A9288C.jpeg

50B086DA-C894-4715-960C-6C3EA4D4E08C.jpeg

Thats so cool. I would love to see Crux someday. Beautiful photos.

• Like 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Finished with 0.29 of rain last night. Sunny and breezy at the moment.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)