December 29th - 30th Snowstorm

bud2380

3 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

So if I’m understanding this, the HP won’t really effect the initial part of the storm?  When does it become more apparent?  This is fascinating. 

It's there for the first storm but that energy isn't cut off from the Jet stream.  The second low is cut off, so it will move around the ridge much like a hurricane would.  Thats what I think there are some smarter people than me on here that may explain better.

• Like 1

Just now, Clinton said:

It's there for the first storm but that energy isn't cut off from the Jet stream.  The second low is cut off, so it will move around the ridge much like a hurricane would.  Thats what I think there are some smarter people than me on here that may explain better.

Thanks, that makes sense. I was wondering why there was such a spread. Cut off lows have a mind of their own. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stormhunter87 said:

Yeah definitely going NAM and GFS, favoring winter mix all afternoon and night.

I wouldn’t be shocked with this outcome. Seems like this has become the norm for us in southeast Nebraska. The larger storms always seem to be a bit to warm. Good thing is we are getting moisture at least. Being 8+ inches down on the year I’ll take whatever we can get 

• Like 2

Parallel GFS for the second wave.  This system is coming out of the deep south and really pulls in the warm air aloft.

prateptype_cat.conus.png

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Parallel GFS again.  When it reaches Iowa there is a bunch of mixed crap.  As it leaves it's occluding and all heavy snow.  It'd be a gut punch to get mix from this.

prateptype_cat.conus.png

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"