December 29th - 30th Snowstorm

bud2380

6 minutes ago, WeatherFanOMA said:

I'm going with this will be a bust for nebraska.  

I think you are going to be correct. The problem was that models showed such unbelievably high amounts, that now everything else is a disappointment. I was expecting those, but we’ve gone completely in the opposite direction. 

48 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

I hope we have better clarity in the Dec 28 00z and 12z runs with the energy coming on shore tomorrow evening looks like. Maybe just more model chaos until then.

@Tom or @Clinton may be able to speak to this better, but looking back at the LRC it seemed there was support for the initial northern wave but nothing really for a strong southern wave (roughly Nov 13-15). I dunno...just looking for clues to pass the time...lol

On Nov 14th a strong wave riding up the cold front produced severe weather near my place.

2.jpgit did end up producing strong thunderstorms in our area.

2.jpg

I don't have much on the Northern piece, we had a strong +AO and the northern energy was up near Canada,  Maybe Tom has some surrface maps from the Nov 14th time frame,

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, clintbeed1993 said:

You guys are making my head hurt. Until the EURO backs off there's no need to panic. King has been steady for 4 days. GFS and Canadian should not be taken seriously as they've been all over the place and GFS is terrible at thermals which is very important in this storm. NAM is not in range. RELAX

No it hasn't.  Euro drastically backed off on amounts in the main swath compared to what it had a few days ago.

trend-ecmwf_full-2020122612-f144.sn10_acc.conus.gif.6d121ce1aff4ddcbdeccfdbd60ec0691.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Money said:

GFS is about to crush Chicago. Low moving due north at hr 132

Nope.  Once it gets to the Ohio river, it meets the westerlies and weakens and gets turned eastward.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

From meteorologist Mark Torregrosa for fellow Michiganders:

”Right now your time period of Thursday morning looks warm enough for rain from either of the two models we trust out that far.  Definitely keep an eye on it with me and ask again Tuesday-ish.  The time period in question would be Friday when it could get cold enough for some snow if the storm is still around.  But Thursday morning is center in the warm flow.  Looks like it could be 10-20 degrees warmer than normal Thursday morning.  That would be hard to have any wintry precip.  Hope this helps!”

• Popcorn 1

I don’t pay any attention to Kuchera ratios since large systems usually don’t have high ratios except on the northern and back sides. 

I’m not sure why my NWS point forecast still has no wording for a mix or rain, but instead it’s all snow. Maybe they see something I don’t.

Major change from the Canadian with the second storm.  It digs much farther south and looks very similar to the GFS.  It cuts off and cuts north, but then meets the westerlies and shears eastward.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"