December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I see a lot of belly aching over the 12z for no real reason. Yes, it is not as stellar as the past run but still gets us cold/coolish. Honestly, most of us just want snow and if we can get that who cares if it is cold or epic cold, the end result is white stuff on the ground and there is still hope for that. I honestly was "dreaming of white Christmas" but since there is only a 7% chance of that I was not holding my breath. I am hopeful and do not see this as being that awful, as all the good ingredients are still in play...  It is not like in the past where we had a fricken blocking ridge sitting on top of us for three weeks. NOW that sucked!!!

Truthfully, I am not surprised by this run based on the law of averages for weather around here, as it is a "more" believable outcome but not set in stone either. Thankfully we have time for something to happen (great)... I am bummed no white christmas but "meh", I knew it would probably not going to happen anyway.  Keep chins up folks lots can change :)

Now the rain this weekend looks awfully impressive!! WoW! ;)

12z  ECMWF isn't looking so hot

HR 168 Very poor

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2014121812/ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_8.png

Remember what hr 192 showed last night, then it all came right back at hr 216.

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

12z  ECMWF isn't looking so hot

HR 168 Very poor

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2014121812/ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_8.png

It still doesn't show it over us at hr 192, but it shows a lot building to our east and to the north.

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Concerning the AR event over the weekend... the ECMWF has consistently showed the worst of it being Saturday for most of WA.

The 12Z ECMWF coming out now shows just c-zone north of Seattle on Sunday with the heavy rain mostly down in Oregon.   It does not look like a flooding event up here at all.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Concerning the AR event over the weekend... the ECMWF has consistently showed the worst of it being Saturday for most of WA.

The 12Z ECMWF coming out now shows just c-zone north of Seattle on Sunday with the heavy rain mostly down in Oregon.   It does not look like a flooding event up here at all.

Yeah, it sags south over SW Washington/NW Oregon.... WRF is insane with rain

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/2014121812/images_d3/or_pcp72.84.0000.gif

At least in the short term future things are looking decent for the Washington Cascades. The ski resorts in Oregon will not be in as good of shape though.

Every inch of base counts at this point, even if some of it gets washed away.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_extended/images_d2/wa_snow72.72.0000.gif

12z Euro has too much Aleutian low, no Kona low, everything is pushed a little too far east. Slight retrogression would be great, but at this point any potential Arctic air for the PNW is being delayed.

Yeah, block doesn't take hold and amplify until HR 180-192.... Still tons of potential

• Like 1