January 2015 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Sunday storm Tuesday Wednesday clipper looking interesting. brutal cold Starting this weekend things finally go back to more winter like. Step in the right direction but being still almost a week out makes me nervous.

Please tell me where you are seeing this. Low temps will barely get to zero. Certainly not "brutal cold" type cold...

Might have to start a Thread on this storm after tonight's full suite of runs...GFS certainly trying to phase this storm earlier.  Getting more organized.  LRC trying to work its magic.  Maybe this will be our first real snow storm.  Looks like it tries to develop a healthy looking defo band for a large area from the Midwest/Lakes.

Gfs showing over 30 straight hours of snow. I recall one year probably almost 15 years ago right around Christmas where we got 24-26 straight hours of very light snow. It amounted to about 6". That's about as long as I can recall it snowing without a lull in between.

High pressure stays north and allows this to amplify. Lets hope this is a continued trend...

On top of that, with the HP to the north it will create a cold wind off the lake for over 24 hours.  This set up should create a lot of lake enhancement in WI/IL.

• Like 1