January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

Auckland and Melbourne have palm trees. Brussels and Dublin are far more oceanic climate-wise than Portland.

Compared to most other mid-latitude climates we don't really have "winter." You know, the snowy, cold time of the year with a dormant growing period that lasts significantly longer than ours. We don't really have that, and I'd argue that the cities you listed don't either.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that for a mild maritime climate, western OR sees pretty sizable seasonal temp differences.

Obviously, many other mid-latitude climates are colder/snowier in the winter.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Normally we should have fared much better with such warmth up there. I feel like this ended up being a bad winter from bad luck more than anything like ENSO which was weak. Next winter could easily be the bad one from a significant Nino. We just can't win.

Actually some of our biggest niño torches also roasted Alaska. Think 2002-03 or 1925-26.

Actually some of our biggest niño torches also roasted Alaska. Think 2002-03 or 1925-26.

This Nino was so weak compared to those. This winter just doesn't make a lot of sense for such a weak Nino. Up until now we haven't had the enhanced convection over the ENSO regions that normally forces the shitty patterns that El Nino is famous for.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This Nino was so weak compared to those. This winter just doesn't make a lot of sense for such a weak Nino. Up until now we haven't had the enhanced convection over the ENSO regions that normally forces the shitty patterns that El Nino is famous for.

You're right about that. I was thinking about the stronger El Niño events of the past. It's still a Niño though so there's obviously some similarity.

You're right about that. I was thinking about the stronger El Niño events of the past. It's still a Niño though so there's obviously some similarity.

There have been a few other non-strong Nino winters where Alaska torched and the PNW winter also sucked. 1960-61, 1943-44, 1976-77, 1993-94. 1980-81 had an incredible torchy Jan and March, with Fairbanks recording their warmest on record for both months.

Then you have 1968-69, which was very cold in AK. 1955-56 was quite cold as well.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that for a mild maritime climate, western OR sees pretty sizable seasonal temp differences.

Obviously, many other mid-latitude climates are colder/snowier in the winter.

Yeah that makes sense, but western Oregon isn't really in a full-on maritime or oceanic climate. All of the cities you mentioned have significant rainfall throughout the summer and lower average summer high temperatures. I suppose it's kind of like comparing apples to pears.  :)

• Like 1

.. You know who he's talking about, with his any way he can get it in, WGF reports .. from the wider radius around the Northern Appalachians. 

Yeah...I just don't like getting lumped in with him simply because I don't live in the PNW.

Especially by someone who doesn't even live in the same country as us! ;)

• Like 2

High wavenumber = PNW torch. Almost always.

Relatively stagnant tropical forcing doesn't help either.

It just seems like there is always something to screw us over....especially in the month of January.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Catching up, for the sake of the Pacific Northwestern Weather Observation thread, try to add an observation or two. And Phil, maybe for the new guys here, maybe explain your connection to the region.

He doesn't have one.

I don't think we really need to bring up his description of where he supposedly lived here again, most of us are aware of that ridiculous story.

• Like 1

It just seems like there is always something to screw us over....especially in the month of January.

Wavelengths are short enough right now that you'd probably want a very west-based Aleutian low, at this point in time. An Aleutian ridge will probably only lead to a GOA trough.

This is hilarious, mostly because all summer long we were in a 3-wave regimen (sorry, wonderdog), which, if it had occurred in winter, would have led to incredible results.

There's a reason the PNW almost always sucks at winter during +ENSO/-QBO/+Solar winters..

Talking about the current pattern is about as fun as having your finger nails ripped off. No doubt this climate is capable of producing some agonizing periods for cold weather enthusiasts.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wavelengths are short enough right now that you'd probably want a very west-based Aleutian low, at this point in time. An Aleutian ridge will probably only lead to a GOA trough.

This is hilarious, mostly because all summer long we were in a 3-wave regimen (sorry, wonderdog), which, if it had occurred in winter, would have led to incredible results.

There's a reason the PNW almost always sucks at winter during +ENSO/-QBO/+Solar winters..

Yeah...I'm just tired of waiting for our turn.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

There have been a few other non-strong Nino winters where Alaska torched and the PNW winter also sucked. 1960-61, 1943-44, 1976-77, 1993-94. 1980-81 had an incredible torchy Jan and March, with Fairbanks recording their warmest on record for both months.

Then you have 1968-69, which was very cold in AK. 1955-56 was quite cold as well.

It's always interesting when AK does manage extreme cold while the PNW torches the entire winter. Classics like 1905-06 and 1933-34 come to mind, and more recently 1999-00.

Meanwhile Missoula came up with a 29-13 day today in spite of the torchy upper level pattern. I was shocked to see there are jobs comparable to mine in that area that actually have higher pay than what I'm getting here. There may be hope of getting out of here yet.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah...I'm just tired of waiting for our turn.

It's harder for the PNW to score during and/or just after solar maximums. Historically speaking, your worst winters tend to occur during or just after solar max due to the poleward migration of the HCs/-EPF that often results.

+ENSO winters during solar minimum have higher potential. Recent examples include 2009-10 and 2006-07.

It's harder for the PNW to score during and/or just after solar maximums. Historically speaking, your worst winters tend to occur during or just after solar max due to the poleward migration of the HCs/-EPF that often results.

That would certainly indicate a Maunder type solar minimum would be good for us then since the solar maxes were essentially non existent for several cycles.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

My son got a snow day today at Fort Bliss (El Paso).  He called me and told me he had 5 inches out on the range and it was still coming down.

850mb temps are -4 at the Texas/Mexico border and +6 in North Dakota right now. Weird pattern.

cold mexico, warm north dakota.gif

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"