January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

It likely is. Also hit 72 in Everett. 66 in downtown Seattle that month. That was a massive pineapple express torch following our cold spell.

That was actually two top tier warm air masses about a week apart. The pineapple express torch followed by the ridge around the 31st. There were legit readings around 70 in the favored locations around Puget Sound in the latter event.

FYI the Redding numbers from January 1920 are bogus. The real monthly record appears to be 81 on 1-4-1984. Salem was 65 that day.

Yeah, it does appear something funky was going on early that year at that station.

Although it also does appear there was a legit record-breaking warm air mass later in January 1920 in the region.

A forum for the end of the world.

Those weeklies tend to go with persistence a lot, I've noticed. Doesn't mean that won't verify, but something to keep in mind. At one point they were looking pretty nice for January...didn't turn out great.

I think that February has a good chance of being better than January, but due to the ultra-persistent patterns as of late, it is hard to tell at this point. It used to be that a dry January was often followed by a stormier February, even though it doesn't happen every time.

Probably not, but the most vocal people about it seem to fit that bill.  

After all is said and done, we will have had at least three pushes of modified Arctic air this winter.  I'll take my chances with that any year.

I think this still misses the point the brief cold snaps were surrounded by torching before, after, and in between. When the season is over we can crunch the numbers and see how bad it has really been / will be.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think that February has a good chance of being better than January, but due to the ultra-persistent patterns as of late, it is hard to tell at this point. It used to be that a dry January was often followed by a stormier February, even though it doesn't happen every time.

It doesn't happen every time, but historically it's happened most of the time.

• Like 2

Yeah, but low of only 27. PDX at least managed to hit 21 in late December.

I would argue that an afternoon reading of 27 with snow and east winds at 33 mph is more impressive than a morning low of 21 under clear skies.

But as has been said, neither event did much to make its respective crappy winter better.

I think this still misses the point the brief cold snaps were surrounded by torching before, after, and in between. When the season is over we can crunch the numbers and see how bad it has really been / will be.

There's not doubt the last six months have been historic.  But, from an observed weather perspective, the way this cold season, stand alone, has played out is not at all a surprise.  Whether this was a warm neutral winter or an actual nino, it's been an nino above our heads.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

At least the odds of a Nino next year are low.

I think we have a good 50% chance of a Nino next winter actually. The fact the Nino is about to strengthen again at this point in the winter is pretty bothersome.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would argue that an afternoon reading of 27 with snow and east winds at 33 mph is more impressive than a morning low of 21 under clear skies.

Yeah, I mean Dec 2014 probably would have had something similar if there had been precip. Really similar air masses, the one this winter stuck around a bit longer.

But the real thing that sets this winter apart from 1939-40 was the November air mass, as I said.

Funny thing is that 2002-03 had three as well (the third one was the March 2003 Fraser River event though). We're hard pressed to not get least one, even in our shittiest years.

Eh.  I think you're really stretching for the goal line there.  This year's events were all fairly pungent as opposed to 2002 which had only one, occurring a full month prior to winter.  

Yeah, I mean Dec 2014 probably would have had something similar if there had been precip. Really similar air masses, the one this winter stuck around a bit longer.

But the real thing that sets this winter apart from 1939-40 was the November air mass, as I said.

I agree that 1939-40 was worse. It would be hard to top that one.

BTW if this torch continues through this year and next winter it will be the longest lasting very warm event since the incredible multi year torch in the late 1930s / early 1940s. If the Nino rekindles and remains through next winter we have a good chance of doing it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

BTW if this torch continues through this year and next winter it will be the longest lasting very warm event since the incredible multi year torch in the late 1930s / early 1940s. If the Nino rekindles and remains through next winter we have a good chance of doing it.

That's looking pretty far ahead. Just sayin' :)

After all is said and done, we will have had at least three pushes of modified Arctic air this winter.  I'll take my chances with that any year.

Please do correct me here if I'm wrong, but this, with as I believe you had pointed to in at least one case, and I would more here where considering it along with the others, all more "continental", as in from more inland and to the east (NE) with there having been more "retrograde" type.

edit:  Or, per request inferred subsequently here further along within this thread, … Less "rambly", and with more potential for being appreciated as "hyperbole", or as an example ofeven exercise inone-upsmanship. With the extra attention (?) to the form that I've put these ideas in more originally above, I'd been attempting to "defer" to .. the type of "scrutiny" (?) that I've been subjected to, ultimately (further ahead.) .. anyway. (Oh Well.) .. An alternative, version.

Please do [C]orrect me here if I'm wrong, but this [above], with as I believe you['d] pointed to in at least one case[]and I would here where considering it[,] along with the others, [… A]ll more "continental". [.. A]s in from more inland and to the east (NE), with there having been [of a] more "retrograde" type.

.. Either way. ...

---

The thing is, the temps this winter have been Nino like but the lack of tropical convection and subtropical jet activity have been decidedly un-Nino like. So it's a mixed bag.

Clearly the SST and pressure configurations in the Pacific have had a big part in our ongoing pattern, more than just the Nino.

Please do correct me here if I'm wrong here, but this, with as I believe you had pointed to in at least one case, and I would more here, all more "continental", as in from more inland and to the east (NE) with there having been more "retrograde" type.

Yes?

Eh.  I think you're really stretching for the goal line there.  This year's events were all fairly pungent as opposed to 2002 which had only one, occurring a full month prior to winter.  

Late February 2003? Was certainly a decent, albeit unspectacular airmass. Teens on the westside in the last week of February, and a strong gap wind event. Every bit as impressive for us as the late December 2014 event, IMO.

Late February 2003? Was certainly a decent, albeit unspectacular airmass. Teens on the westside in the last week of February, and a strong gap wind event. Every bit as impressive for us as the late December 2014 event, IMO.

Perhaps a sign of things to come???

The thing is, the temps this winter have been Nino like but the lack of tropical convection and subtropical jet activity have been decidedly un-Nino like. So it's a mixed bag.

Clearly the SST and pressure configurations in the Pacific have had a big part in our ongoing pattern, more than just the Nino.

It's been a classic +PDO winter.

That's looking pretty far ahead. Just sayin' :)

I'm sure it will find a way to make sure my statement was correct.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

"Lovely". ?  

Perhaps, my point's been gathered irrespective. (Regardless. ?)

At the risk of being perceived as "rambling" on, yet further, ...

"... In line with my having suggested earlier, that 'we' .. haven't seen much at all in the way of more upstream cold this colder season." 

Not so much a good thing, nor something I might want to befriend. ....

---