2/25 - 2/26 Clipper

Tom

UK Met is also NE--- the GFS is really on it own for the western warning area--- going to be interesting.  ***edit***  I didn't look at the hi res nam -- more in line with the GFS but still going to be tracking the radar as I don't think parts of the warning area are a slam dunk

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I know it's really a short range model deal now-- but the EURO gives warning snows to places in E.IA that are not currently under any type of advisory.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

this is not boding well for the w. warning counties in IA. I have no faith in the GFS. Throwing in the towel on this one. Lucky to get 3". But that is a clipper for ya..... :o

this is not boding well for the w. warning counties in IA. I have no faith in the GFS. Throwing in the towel on this one. Lucky to get 3". But that is a clipper for ya..... :o

You were pushing to hard for the trend to the east and now its going east of you :D . Hope we can all cash in over the weekend and into early next week.

Right now, too much dry air in northern Illinois for any snow

Yup, but best forcing arrives later this afternoon.  Hopefully the snow holds together.  Tracking weakening Clippers is the worst.

Regarding the LES, you could already see some forming in S Lake Michigan and it is swinging westward as winds are shifting out of the NE.

just witnessed the coolest frontal passage I can remember! I checked the radar as I was getting ready for work and noticed the bright banding just northwest of Omaha and the reports of snow right behind this, while we were getting light rain and were sitting at about 42 degrees.

I looked out the window and every once in a while could see a huge fat flake fall to the ground in the light rain. almost reminded me of hailstones falling very slowly!

I looked down at the kitchen sink for probably no more than 5 seconds and looked up just in time to see a huge gust of wind blow through and with it a wall of HUGE snowflakes!! These flakes were probably half dollar to golf ball sized and now it was just snowing like crazy. The temp dropped 10 degrees in less than 10 minutes and the gusty northwest winds continued. This was one of the quickest and most dramatic cases of a changeover from rain to snow I can ever remember. Obviously that wall of wind came with the frontal passage and with it pulled down all the heavy snow that was falling just above the ground moments earlier. Call me a weather nerd, but this is why I love weather!

• Like 3

just witnessed the coolest frontal passage I can remember! I checked the radar as I was getting ready for work and noticed the bright banding just northwest of Omaha and the reports of snow right behind this, while we were getting light rain and were sitting at about 42 degrees.

I looked out the window and every once in a while could see a huge fat flake fall to the ground in the light rain. almost reminded me of hailstones falling very slowly!

I looked down at the kitchen sink for probably no more than 5 seconds and looked up just in time to see a huge gust of wind blow through and with it a wall of HUGE snowflakes!! These flakes were probably half dollar to golf ball sized and now it was just snowing like crazy. The temp dropped 10 degrees in less than 10 minutes and the gusty northwest winds continued. This was one of the quickest and most dramatic cases of a changeover from rain to snow I can ever remember. Obviously that wall of wind came with the frontal passage and with it pulled down all the heavy snow that was falling just above the ground moments earlier. Call me a weather nerd, but this is why I love weather!

Same thing happened here in Lincoln. Pretty cool.

I received 6" in Northeast Iowa here from this clipper. Apparently we got lucky under a nice band that formed just north of Highway 20. Pretty decent for this type of system. Considering the forecast was 1-3" yesterday, this was a nice surprise. 

http://i.imgur.com/AJI8XsK.jpg

• Like 1

LehS showing up in Cook county on radar.  Winds have picked up out of the NE and are coming off of that warm pocket of water in southern Lake Michigan.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/ncast/mswt-00.gif

Here are the wind profiles:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-90.76,40.66,3000

My area gets 0.5". That's all! Chicagoland should do fairly good. Couple of inches possible. Not too shabby for a clipper.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Sitting at 0.5" so far...some medium sized flakes mixing in...certainly may be the lake adding more moisture.  Could be interesting tonight when winds turn more NNE and come down the length of the lake.  The RPM model may be onto something and parts of Lake/Cook county may pick up 3-4".

• Like 1

Nice weather report Jeremy!

Mainly fine flakes here, but occasionally full dendrites fall for a short time. Thinking there is some lake influence, but not a lot. About 0.8" so far.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

This lake band is awesome!  Getting some good snow fall rates ATM.  Bands are increasing in intensity it seems.  DT Chicago should be doing pretty well right now.

Just did a quick measurement and I picked up an additional 0.5" in the past 30 minutes so its snowing at a pretty good clip here.  Nice medium sized flakes.

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/LOT/N0Q/LOT.N0Q.20150226.0200.gif

• Like 1

It's been dumping snow in the last 20 minutes here. Looks like LES. Just under 2" so far.

Right!  If you get underneath these bands it looks so nice outside.  The snowfall rates are variable but when it starts back up its coming down pretty good.  If we can get a whole night of this LES there could be some hefty totals lakeside.

I think the beginning of the lake plume is forming way up north just east of GRB.

With the temperatures in the teen the snow is stacking up quick. I'd probably say the snow now is over 20:1 ratio.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The wind was stronger than expected here this afternoon, which made it tougher to measure.  Checking around the yard I came up with about 4.3 inches.  I always have trouble finding the same amounts others in the area get when there is wind.  Tomorrow I'll check some other spots toward the edge of the yard.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"