February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

I meant 12 hour total ending at hour 48. Anyway it the low is strong enough and stays south of Olympic peninsula we'll most likely see snow at least until it dies over Cascades.

I agree.

Tough call for sure.    The 12Z ECMWF will be very telling.

The 00Z ECMWF was totally dry for Sunday.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like its coming down pretty good about 15 miles N of Eugene

http://www.tripcheck.com/roadcams/cams/LakeCreek_pid1355.jpg?0.5833943

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1/10,000,000th of snow this morning. If you look really closely you might see the flakes. :P

1780859_723693394341891_2059823251_n.jpg

That is about what I have here!    I saw about 10 flakes on the hot tub cover this morning.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Seems like there is more precip this morning then was modeled.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yesterday's 12z Canadian was dry for our location on Sunday, but today's run is showing potential snow. Hopefully the ECMWF follows suit.

This has been so confusing.

Yesterday the 00Z ECMWF showed a snowstorm for us on Saturday and now the models this morning so far show nothing even close.  Maybe that will still be there on the 12Z run.

Saturday is better than Sunday.    The air mass will be moderating so the sooner the better.

This has been so confusing.

Yesterday the 00Z ECMWF showed a snowstorm for us on Saturday and now the models this morning so far show nothing even close.  Maybe that will still be there on the 12Z run.

Saturday is better than Sunday.    The air mass will be moderating so the sooner the better.

If we get a sub 1000mb low passing south of us, things will fall back into place. 1005 will probably work as well.

If we get a sub 1000mb low passing south of us, things will fall back into place. 1005 will probably work as well.

Definitely... if it goes south then its all good.

My guess is that the lows will start moving towards Vancouver Island once the flow starts opening up Sunday and Monday.   And when that happens... the south wind will come.     It won't stay like this forever.

Yeah Dadio, I got very lucky that Friday before Christmas! Nothing like waking up to a white landscape!! Here was a pic of that 3" morning...

image.jpg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The satellite looks alot more promising offshore with the surface low west of the Columbia, there is definite NE movement with the clouds.

Also there has been some lightning strikes out there too.

Perhaps it is my imagination, but what is happening in the Pacific looks much more favorable than what we had yesterday at this time.

The satellite looks alot more promising offshore with the surface low west of the Columbia, there is definite NE movement with the clouds.

Also there has been some lightning strikes out there too.

Yikes, hope that doesn't end up coming further north than anyone anticipated. I am fine with it moving down through Eugene.

Definitely... if it goes south then its all good.

My guess is that the lows will start moving towards Vancouver Island once the flow starts opening up Sunday and Monday.   And when that happens... the south wind will come.     It won't stay like this forever.

We didn't think the ridge would last all winter either.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Yikes, hope that doesn't end up coming further north than anyone anticipated. I am fine with it moving down through Eugene.

Its definitely an interesting feature to keep and eye on.  With lightning strikes and the location, I think I may have a shot at snow later today.  At least a better shot than yesterday.

Quite a surprise for you to have less than so many others, but you'll make up for it before the year is over.

I am fine either way.   I like just watching it happen all around me and everyone else having fun... but then I don't have to deal with it.     Particularly outside of the November- January time frame.

I do have to deal with kids begging for snow though.   :)

Its definitely an interesting feature to keep and eye on. With lightning strikes and the location, I think I may have a shot at snow later today. At least a better shot than yesterday.

I agree that you have a better shot today. As long as the low itself stays south of Salem I am fine with the precip shield speeding as far north as it wants.

• Like 1

Sounds good to me.  I am only looking for a little bit to appease my thirst for some snow with arctic air.

I agree with you. So glad for my skiff of snow this morning. I think most of us are like TT's kids.

I am fine either way.   I like just watching it happen all around me and everyone else having fun... but then I don't have to deal with it.     Particularly outside of the November- January time frame.

I do have to deal with kids begging for snow though.   :)

What kids? All of us on here that don't have enough snow yet?

I think so too.  May not be much, but I have a good feeling.

Just need some movement north and some lift.

That feature west of the Columbia I think is the key.

That feature is what caused the snow tonight and tomorrow on the 00Z ECMWF.

GFS and WRF don't show it moving north much at all.   We will find out soon what the 12Z ECMWF says.

Actually the mm5 shows this feature we see on sat loop of the Columbia. The biggest difference I see in real time is it looks to be closer to the coast than the models show. The mm5 shows it curving back out to sea to the nw. But with it closer it looks like it is going to push some moisture our way.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

That feature is what caused the snow tonight and tomorrow on the 00Z ECMWF.

GFS and WRF don't show it moving north much at all.   We will find out soon what the 12Z ECMWF says.

Yep, I went back and looked again.

I don't think we need it to move north much, just a bit closer and then it can rotate some moisture up hopefully.

PDX NWS thinks precip will go a bit further north than modeled:

"NOT TO IGNORE AREAS FARTHER NORTH...PROFILES ARE ALL SNOW,. THERE IS

PLENTY OF LOW LEVEL FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING WHICH IS MORE LOOSELY
ORGANIZED OFFSHORE BUT WILL PICK UP THIS AFTERNOON OVER THE AREA AS
THE CLASH OF THE COLD AND MILD PACIFIC AIR COMMENCES AGAIN FARTHER
NORTH. THIS WILL ALLOW PRECIPITATION IN THE FORM OF SNOW TO GET GOING
THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING AND AGAIN EXPECT BANDING TO OCCUR...LIKELY
FARTHER NORTH THAN THE MODELS ARE SHOWING."

• Like 1

Actually the mm5 shows this feature we see on sat loop of the Columbia. The biggest difference I see in real time is it looks to be closer to the coast than the models show. The mm5 shows it curving back out to sea to the nw. But with it closer it looks like it is going to push some moisture our way.

I don't see it pinwheeling back out.  Its been moving ENE fairly steady, just get it close and then it can sit and spin.