February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

The amazing thing about this event is how many potential possibilities that could happen.

From just places up north get a little or pounded, or a realistic chance all of Western Washington getting slammed as the low moves south.

It will be very fun to track starting Saturday morning as things start to develop.

I would say 2 inches here at least, the GFS has consistently shown that the last few days at some point during the event.

I'm not trying to be that guy who only talks about his backyard, just been a frustrating winter that's all. How much have you gotten so far? We saw 2" in December but that has been it.

If that map you posted comes to pass then most places north of Seattle will be right on the edge for snow.  Central and South Sounders will have to sit this one out.

By the way, when are we going to hear from Tim so he can tell us if it does snow, it'll all be gone the next day anyways with warm rain?  

Hopefully he focuses on his trip to Hawaii and stays away.

I'm not trying to be that guy who only talks about his backyard, just been a frustrating winter that's all. How much have you gotten so far? We saw 2" in December but that has been it.

I was just joking with you, I really wanna see all of Western Washington get slammed at the same time, that would be awesome.

I saw 2 1/4" total in December, but not at the same time it was 1 inch, melted, 1/2 inch, melted and 3/4 inch melted.

But, I did see 3.5 two weeks ago.

So 5.75 inches total.  Not horrible, but alot less than the last few years dating back to 2008.

If that map you posted comes to pass then most places north of Seattle will be right on the edge for snow.  Central and South Sounders will have to sit this one out.

By the way, when are we going to hear from Tim so he can tell us if it does snow, it'll all be gone the next day anyways with warm rain?  

Hopefully he focuses on his trip to Hawaii and stays away.

Nah, he will just say how he is happy he missed this so he can come home to possible decent weather.  I bet his kids will be pissed if his house got a foot of snow they could play in, although, he would say they would rather be in Hawaii, but in reality he trains them to think like him like little Tim Bots.

Going to be an interesting one to watch. I'm not really feeling it for my area, but this is highly uncertain. At this point Bellingham would have to have monumental bad luck to not get at least a couple of inches.

BTW I don't think the far north precip area being shown on the NAM will verify. It should extend considerably further south.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Going to be an interesting one to watch. I'm not really feeling it for my area, but this is highly uncertain. At this point Bellingham would have to have monumental bad luck to not get at least a couple of inches.

BTW I don't think the far north precip area being shown on the NAM will verify. It should extend considerably further south.

why the doubts? 

Can't wait for the WRF tonight. I'd love to see the Euro jump onboard more too.  Im hoping the WRF doesn't change much since I was in the 10"+ area for snow.

The 18z was considerably worse for your neck of the woods, as well as mine. The more northern track definitely benefits us both

why the doubts?

I'm just afraid we won't maintain enough offshore flow to pull off snow Saturday night. If the 18z GFS is correct we may get some snow due to evaporative cooling with the generous amounts of moisture being shown. It's going to be a close call no matter how you slice it. It is even possible we could have rain Saturday night and then switch to snow on Sunday or Sunday evening as the surface low slides down the coast.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's definitely a very fragile pattern... I'm sure there will be model flips til the event happens

Not getting excited about the potential snow, if its coming from the NW and I am directly in the rain shadow when weather comes from the NW.

This is kind of an odd situation. Shadows may not be as pronounced as you would normally expect.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I was just joking with you, I really wanna see all of Western Washington get slammed at the same time, that would be awesome.

I saw 2 1/4" total in December, but not at the same time it was 1 inch, melted, 1/2 inch, melted and 3/4 inch melted.

But, I did see 3.5 two weeks ago.

So 5.75 inches total.  Not horrible, but alot less than the last few years dating back to 2008.

Did you get anything last winter? I'm pretty sure everyone bombed out on that one. I came up with an inch and I was lucky.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah its looking good. Still snow at hr 72.

According to new GFS precip type chart south sound is rain at hour 90, there is a bit of ice at the coast and hour 96 is where we torch

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_090_precip_p60.gifThis should be mostly snow form Seattle and to the north..