February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Marked difference between the 12km and 4km WRF snow totals

Peeps in Canada won't like the 12KM as much. Probably overdoing the outflow, but who knows. 

Edit: Personally I hope the WRF is right, because more people would get snow. It is a bit more stigny for northern areas though compared to the Canadian.    :D

Peeps in Canada won't like the 12KM as much. Probably overdoing the outflow, but who knows. 

Edit: Personally I hope the WRF is right, because more people would get snow. It is a bit more stigny for northern areas though compared to the Canadian.    :D

You mean more people that already have more snow than those of us up north? Yeah...

GFS buckled toward the GEM. GEM drops about 7-10" for Vancouver. I think 6-8" for most of Vancouver with up to 10" for higher terrain is a decent bet at this stage. GFS is out to lunch this winter once again.

Wow that's Even better... EC shows only 2-3 inches and no warning...

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

EC is about to get slaughtered (again).

7-10" is a lot... The public has no idea... How much more can we get Sunday? This can be huge... Thanks for all the updates ! Great posts you make on this forum

2013/2014 Winter season

7-10" is a lot... The public has no idea... How much more can we get Sunday? This can be huge... Thanks for all the updates ! Great posts you make on this forum

I'd say most of Vancouver can anticipate 2" Saturday, 1-2" Saturday night, 3-4" Sunday, and 1-2" Sunday night.

WxBell maps show 10-14" for Vancouver but this includes any wintery precip (sleet, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain/snow mix) which may occur at some points, dampening accumulations, so I think 7-10" is a reasonable call if the GEM is right.

Realistically I think Bellingham, Hood Canal, Southern and EasternVancouver Island, and Vancouver can all expect at least 6-12" of snow come Monday.

Here ya go...

That is the first time the Euro has shown more than 2" at my location. Between this and the GEM on which I get buried, I am cautiously optimistic about my snow chances. Hopefully this will make up for the rest of the winter! :) :wub:

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Euro's dry bias and GEM's precip-heavy bias coming into play.

Take a hybrid of the two and you've got a decent forecast if you ask me.

Both have nailed the transition zone for precip types.

If we take a blend... about 10" seems close. Curious to see if the GFS blinks before the even starts or not

That is the first time the Euro has shown more than 2" at my location. Between this and the GEM on which I get buried, I am cautiously optimistic about my snow chances. Hopefully this will make up for the rest of the winter! :) :wub:

We deserve some redemption... hoping this works out as advertised on the Euro/Gem

GEM has been fantastic this winter out east, and the Euro has recently started doing quite well after a horribly inconsistent winter.

The GFS has been a massive outlier the entire winter.

I'm feeling good for my home town. Pumped for this thing to get going! It would be nice if Seattle got in on the goods too, as they have been whiffed most of this winter in terms of snow also, but it's just been so long for northern areas that I'm just too excited.

I'd say most of Vancouver can anticipate 2" Saturday, 1-2" Saturday night, 3-4" Sunday, and 1-2" Sunday night.

WxBell maps show 10-14" for Vancouver but this includes any wintery precip (sleet, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain/snow mix) which may occur at some points, dampening accumulations, so I think 7-10" is a reasonable call if the GEM is right.

Realistically I think Bellingham, Hood Canal, Southern and EasternVancouver Island, and Vancouver can all expect at least 6-12" of snow come Monday.

Thank you for all this :)

2013/2014 Winter season

GEM has been fantastic this winter out east, and the Euro has recently started doing quite well after a horribly inconsistent winter.

The GFS has been a massive outlier the entire winter.

I'm feeling good for my home town. Pumped for this thing to get going! It would be nice if Seattle got in on the goods too, as they have been whiffed most of this winter in terms of snow also, but it's just been so long for northern areas that I'm just too excited.

In your expert opinion does bothell which is north of seattle and or seattle itself get any snow? (go with your gut)

Thank you for all this :)

Of course, there is never 100% assurance.

Things that can go wrong:

1) The GFS is right about the strength of the outflow and moisture gets cut down; it will not, however, be absolutely nothing as the GFS advertises, but the outflow could cut Sunday totals in half

2) Offshore flow is too weak to keep temperatures cool enough for snow; however, after snowfall on Saturday being pretty much a lock, the snow cover is going to help keep temperatures cool at the surface, so I really think Sunday could be a big surprise for the forecasters.

In your expert opinion does bothell which is north of seattle and or seattle itself get any snow? (go with your gut)

I think higher elevations as mentioned by a couple posters could certainly see up to 2-3" of wet snow. Honestly though, I'm not expecting Seattle itself to see much if anything. Maybe 1-2" of slurpee slop if thermals pan out, but not pure white stuff in my opinion.

Of course, there is never 100% assurance.

Things that can go wrong:

1) The GFS is right about the strength of the outflow and moisture gets cut down; it will not, however, be absolutely nothing as the GFS advertises, but the outflow could cut Sunday totals in half

2) Offshore flow is too weak to keep temperatures cool enough for snow; however, after snowfall on Saturday being pretty much a lock, the snow cover is going to help keep temperatures cool at the surface, so I really think Sunday could be a big surprise for the forecasters.

I'm hoping Sunday it comes through so we can have a 2 day snowfall not a one and done! If it can and till Sunday night that would be amazing!

2013/2014 Winter season

I think higher elevations as mentioned by a couple posters could certainly see up to 2-3" of wet snow. Honestly though, I'm not expecting Seattle itself to see much if anything. Maybe 1-2" of slurpee slop if thermals pan out, but not pure white stuff in my opinion.

423 should be at least close enough to get something white! Otherwise I drive up another hill where its 500 feet.

Can we stop the unsubstantiated model-trashing? Model biases reflect tendencies on a macro-statistical scale, and do not apply in every circumstance.

Just because a model scores high in the broad 500mb correlation doesn't mean s**t at the mesoscale level.

By far the most inaccurate, crap-loaded model disco I've ever read.

• Like 1

Hmmm...The NWS continues to reduce snowfall forecasts up here. They have taken snow out of the forecast here for tonight and tomorrow. I don't know what they are seeing, because every model shows snow here tomorrow morning.

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

Partly cloudy and 32/29 here so as of right now it is cold enough.

Snowfall Totals

Lol, KMartin switched his servers from GoDaddy because that Joseph Rockefeller dude tried to hack theweatherspace, but KMartin switched to a stronger server and that Joseph dude deleted his facebook xD

Dude, we are discussing how much snow Seattle ISNT going to get, we cant be bothered with that  

Can we stop the unsubstantiated model-trashing? Model biases reflect tendencies on a macro-statistical scale, and do not apply in every circumstance.

Just because a model scores high in the broad 500mb correlation doesn't mean s**t at the mesoscale level.

By far the most inaccurate, crap-loaded model disco I've ever read.

The level of discourse has been atrocious tonight. I've just been steering clear. If you can't say anything nice...

Current forecasts say showers for Seattle, but looking at the model analysis it looks like there will be snow / snow showers persisting throughout the night into saturday noon. By noon it looks for some showers, with a slight chance of snowflakes embedded in the rain showers.