February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

i dont think snow can stick today.... maybe tommrow. I am heading up to everett today you think they will get sticking snow?

Approaching 3/4" here in the 7Lakes area. (West of Smokey Point)

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It is a shame that where there is the heaviest precipitation it is too warm. Places south of here could be getting a good amount of snow right now if it was just a degree or two colder.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Well, NWS just took down the WSW for the EPSL. Also lowered our totals from 2-5 tonight/tomorrow/tomorrow night to just a measly inch. Can't say I'm surprised.

It was quite bullish of them to begin with. I was surprised they even said 2-5 for your region given the GFS (which has had a horrible performance) was the only one suggesting it.

WSW still up for my area, that is a good sign! Still snowing here also, just got in from playing with the dogs out in it. Almost 1" now on the cooler surfaces. Up to 34 degrees now.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I hope tomorrow's snowfall performs better. This has been a suckfest so far.

Stronger easterly winds tomorrow should be very good for your region.

Models have been consistent with Parksville/Nanaimo having lesser amounts though (5-8"), than parts of southern Van Is. and the Olympics. The moisture shift south will hurt Parksville for sure.

• Like 1

Still lightly snowing here, but at 35F the snow on the ground is melting quickly. Went out for a drive and it seems my 100 ft. of elevation helped me significantly. Just down the hill I am on there is only about half the snow.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Up to the mid 40s here in the Salem/Silverton area and wall to wall sunshine!    You guys can keep you're snow though I hope you enjoy it and make the most of you're snow day.   :)

Is there any chances of an Artic Outbreak in the near or long term future?  Dad and I are going to do yard work this afternoon and it's getting warmer out.    Should we unwrap the hoses or is there another freeze to come? 

This morning it was right at 32F on the dot.

Models have been consistent with Parksville/Nanaimo having lesser amounts though (5-8"), than parts of southern Van Is. and the Olympics. The moisture shift south will hurt Parksville for sure.

Updates on Vancouver? Temp holding steady at 33F with wet snow

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

This place is dead...this most likely means everybody is drinking to no end to make themselves feel better because they arent getting snow and the WRF became more realistic...

GFS busted already. Snow accumulations have only been seen north of Arlington. 0.5-2" across the northern sound in BC so far, in line with Euro/Canadian for this afternoon.

Outflow wedging under the moist air can be great for snowfall even up in the Parksville-Nanaimo region. We need to get that weak low to the SW of here as the Arctic high starts to build south tonight into tomorrow. The precip intensity has been weak all day, not enough to hold up against afternoon warming even at some of the higher elevations, it's been snowing all day but melting on impact. I still think the dynamics look better for snow tonight into tomorrow.

• Like 2

Outflow wedging under the moist air can be great for snowfall even up in the Parksville-Nanaimo region. We need to get that weak low to the SW of here as the Arctic high starts to build south tonight into tomorrow. The precip intensity has been weak all day, not enough to hold up against afternoon warming even at some of the higher elevations, it's been snowing all day but melting on impact. I still think the dynamics look better for snow tonight into tomorrow.

Ya today was kind of a bonus day with regards to snow potential. It was always going to be very borderline. We need the outflow to kick in. Still tons of potential for tomorrow.

Been snowing for almost 7hrs straight now, and yet my accumulations are shrinking. D**n daytime heating. Currently 34.7 with big flakes falling. All grassy areas still white.

Guest Monty67

Yeah, even up here at Shawnigan the precip has been too light to hold out against the afternoon warmth. It is still snowing steadily but the 1.5" that was around earlier is more like about 3/4" now, Dissapointed so far.

GFS busted already. Snow accumulations have only been seen north of Arlington. 0.5-2" across the northern sound in BC so far, in line with Euro/Canadian for this afternoon.

Ya i know...everyone is drinking themselves silly because this mornings WRF there only hope is now not showing snow...

18z trended towards the Euro/GEM for snowfall totals in Whatcom County

What does it show for the Vancouver area? Or can you send me the link to it please :)

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Nope.

WRF had a dry donut hole around the Fraser Valley which ended up having the most snowfall today (2"). It had areas near the water with the most snow which was not the case at all (trace to nada from melting).

lets not forget the gfs was first to even show this even being possible. And for some places it will verify. It has been showing the same basic pattern for this weekend for 5 days.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.