August 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Canadian continues to look intriguing for a nice soaking rain and cool temps for everyone later next week. ECMWF and GFS are actually in remarkable agreement for later next week as well. About time.

Lots of disagreement on the 12Z GFS ensembles for next week.   Operational appears to be too aggressive... and the 12Z run slowed things down from the 00Z run as well.

Way too early to tell... might end up another situation where warm air is pumped northward.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Canadian continues to look intriguing for a nice soaking rain and cool temps for everyone later next week. ECMWF and GFS are actually in remarkable agreement for later next week as well. About time.

Let's not declare victory just yet, but the trends look good. Warmth does have a tendency to pop up out of nowhere the last few years though, even in patterns that are advertised as cool in the mid-long range

Lots of disagreement on the 12Z GFS ensembles for next week.   Operational appears to be too aggressive... and the 12Z run slowed things down from the 00Z run as well.

Way too early to tell... might end up another situation where warm air is pumped northward.

Signs are there though and the CPC agrees.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Let's not declare victory just yet, but the trends look good. Warmth does have a tendency to pop up out of nowhere the last few years though, even in patterns that are advertised as cool in the mid-long range

Don't worry, you are not going to jinx the weather.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

We only post about the Canadian when it is running warmer than the other models.

Way too early to see something that amplified. Full latitude ridge with 590dm heights into southern Alaska? Yeah... no. Smells like a cut off!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Way too early to see something that amplified. Full latitude ridge with 590dm heights into southern Alaska? Yeah... no. Smells like a cut off!

Seems like a typical strong El Nino late summer / early fall signal to me...Although I will say the 12z ECMWF setup seems more realistic.

Cold Season 2023/24:

A cut-off is fine as long as it doesn't spin offshore all week like the one last week.

Anyway, I feel like we have seen deep, full latitude troughing close to this early before. Late August 2008 was a pretty impressive beast that didn't cut off.

A cut-off is fine as long as it doesn't spin offshore all week like the one last week.

Anyway, I feel like we have seen deep, full latitude troughing close to this early before. Late August 2008 was a pretty impressive beast that didn't cut off.

Sure, full latitude stuff becomes more common about now. Wavelengths are starting to budge. But I challenge you to find a handful of analogs to such a prodigious ridge nosing into Alaska. Not likely.

• Like 1

What is the 12Z Euro showing?

Trough is not as deep as the Canadian and further offshore. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

I am thinking this as well.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sure, full latitude stuff becomes more common about now. Wavelengths are starting to budge. But I challenge you to find a handful of analogs to such a prodigious ridge nosing into Alaska. Not likely.

Sure it isn't likely. So was hitting 90 at PDX this summer 26+ days.

You're comparing apples and apples ravaged by central Washington wildfires.

I get that those are two very different animals. My point is just because something is meteorologically unlikely doesn't mean it can't/won't happen. Unless it involves cold anomalies. Then it definitely won't happen.

I get that those are two very different animals. My point is just because something is meteorologically unlikely doesn't mean it can't/won't happen. Unless it involves cold anomalies. Then it definitely won't happen.

I never said it couldn't happen, just that it won't this time.

Euro is further east/progressive.

Looking late at the run you are correct. Way more progressive and not nearly as deep as previous run.

Cold Season 2023/24:

1977 and 2004 both were similar. Massive ridging into Alaska (it hit 86 in Kenai on 8/21/1977) while the storm track moved SE into the PNW. It's unlikely, but a possibility. As you know, those were both El Nino years with long warm periods before the bottom fell out in late August.

• Like 1

Looking late at the run you are correct. Way more progressive and not nearly as deep as previous run.

Yeah... at face value there is very little rain or even chances for rain on the 12Z ECMWF.  

Basically a continuation of the pattern this week.   

GFS is being way too aggressive.   Mark it down.  :)

Yeah... at face value there is very little rain or even chances for rain on the 12Z ECMWF.  

Basically a continuation of the pattern this week.   

GFS is being way too aggressive.   Mark it down.   :)

ECMWF hasn't had great performance lately so as of right now I'd be inclined to lean more towards the GFS/GEM. But that's just me!

Cold Season 2023/24:

1977 and 2004 both were similar. Massive ridging into Alaska (it hit 86 in Kenai on 8/21/1977) while the storm track moved SE into the PNW. It's unlikely, but a possibility. As you know, those were both El Nino years with long warm periods before the bottom fell out in late August.

Bottoms falling out in late August are bad news for fall ballers.

We're not due for another 16 years.

ECMWF hasn't had great performance lately so as of right now I'd be inclined to lean more towards the GFS/GEM. But that's just me!

OK.

Recent example... late last week the GFS and Canadian showed a deep trough digging over the PNW on Monday (yesterday).

The ECMWF was the first to show a much more progressive pattern... shoving everything to the east.    That is exactly what happened.    

Latest CPC update today is going with the GFS and Euro ensembles.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814prcp.new.gif

Cold Season 2023/24:

OK.

Recent example... late last week the GFS and Canadian showed a deep trough digging over the PNW on Monday (yesterday).

The ECMWF was the first to show a much more progressive pattern... shoving everything to the east.    That is exactly what happened.    

I'm just staying that I don't necessarily agree with one run of the operational ECMWF after what it showed last night and considering what the 12z GFS and GEM are showing.

Cold Season 2023/24: