August 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Absolutely right. Pretty unusual to see this.

30dPNormWRCC-NW.png

Wait until the all the rain from the last 12 hours gets updated on this map... and also if you could cover just 7/24 through 8/30 which is probably not possible with that map. Very wet in the Seattle area.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We are now in a pattern where the models are being too aggressive in moving the trough out.   The Midwest is now in our usual position this summer with the models predicting the demise of their ridge too quickly.    Oh well... back to the default trough position.   The ECMWF seems to have the best handle on this situation.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Glad to see there isn't  a lot of ensemble support for the LR GFS. Not in a big hurry to go back to that crap.

At this point we're pretty much locked in for lowered heights through at least week 3. Canadian and ECMWF seem to have a much better handle on the overall pattern in the long range.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

We are now in a pattern where the models are being too aggressive in moving the trough out.   The Midwest is now in our usual position this summer with the models predicting the demise of their ridge too quickly.    Oh well... back to the default trough position.   The ECMWF seems to have the best handle on this situation.

Troughing hasn't been default for over 18 months.

A forum for the end of the world.

Troughing hasn't been default for over 18 months.

No... not at all. But it is in general in this climate. Thinking beyond the last couple years.

The PNW is at a latitude and in a location on the continent to favor troughing. Last couple years notwithstanding

Sorry Tim, but that makes no sense. I think your own interpretations of our tangible weather is clouding your intellect.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Sorry Tim, but that makes no sense. I think your own interpretations of our tangible weather is clouding your intellect.

It does not make sense that in the warm season a ridge over the 4 corners leaves us many times in the default trough position? And we are in the storm track at this latitude?

Just got home, it's a mess. Also no power for over 26hrs now and my freezer was happily dripping away on my kitchen floor. Crazy to see this in August!

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It does not make sense that in the warm season a ridge over the 4 corners leaves us many times in the default trough position? And we are in the storm track at this latitude?

Our climatology doesn't support this. The four corner's high just as easily expands into our area, merges with eastern Pacific ridges, etc. I think it's more about your default attitude kicking in.

Our climatology doesn't support this. The four corner's high just as easily expands into our area, merges with eastern Pacific ridges, etc. I think it's more about your default attitude kicking in.

You are probably right as usual.

As of 4 PM there are still 55,000 Snohomish PUD customers without power and the 175,000 peak ties the record from the Inauguration day storm in 1993.

Crazy to think this storm was worse here than Hanukkah Eve in a way.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Well I have been in Denver the past few days so I missed most of the action. Lots of small branches down and the power went out for a time while we were gone. Very warm in Idaho late last week when I was there and pretty toasty in the Denver area too. Nice to come back to temps in the low 60s up here. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

While waiting in line at McDonalds, I got the opportunity to speak to someone who claims that they had cut trees for the power company. After 2006, they were required to clear near lines, and the focus was always on cutting conifer limbs back.

People still go to McDonald's?

Really hoping showers are minimal Tuesday thru Thursday, our only camping trip this summer is then. This is the first year in a long time that any moisture has been forecast when we go camping, timing couldn't be worse. No matter what though, we will make the best of it. We have big shelters, tarp and a propane firepit, so we should be ok.

Well I have been in Denver the past few days so I missed most of the action. Lots of small branches down and the power went out for a time while we were gone. Very warm in Idaho late last week when I was there and pretty toasty in the Denver area too. Nice to come back to temps in the low 60s up here.

Welcome back. :wub:

We got power back at 1am this morning, but still no power at work. Currently breezy and drizzly! Seems like late October!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Certainly felt like fall this morning. 37 here and we could get down even lower later this week.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Looks like 60+ low number 52 for the calendar year at PDX this morning.

Beating the old record of 50, set just last year, pretty handily.

Tomorrow morning should feature another 60+ low there.

On the bright side, August 2015 was NOT record warm! In fact, it was cooler than last August at PDX. ;)

It was also not record warm at OLM. Not even top 5. I did say I would eat my computer if OLM pulled off a record warmth month, so that's a relief.

On the bright side, August 2015 was NOT record warm! In fact, it was cooler than last August at PDX. ;)

It was also not record warm at OLM. Not even top 5. I did say I would eat my computer if OLM pulled off a record warmth month, so that's a relief.

So stressed about stats at an airport.     The entire planet to worry about and literally every day is spent watching the temperature of the air at one thermometer in Portland, Oregon.    You would think a cold depature at an airport in say... Maine... or Ohio... or in Russia could offset the net effect on the globe when its too warm at PDX.     :)

September is going to end up below normal.  You heard it here first!    Just feels like western troughing is going to dominate.   The models keep trending troughier in the mid-range which is usually a sign that this pattern is locked in for awhile.

SEA ends August at 3.28 inches compared to normal of .88 inches.     Roughly 375% of normal and 4th wettest August in history.    Very wet month in my area as well... just over 4 inches (and 6 inches in the last 5 weeks).

Impressively wet month around the central and south Sound and Cascade foothills. 

September is going to end up below normal. You heard it here first! Just feels like western troughing is going to dominate. The models keep trending troughier in the mid-range which is usually a sign that this pattern is locked in for awhile.

SEA ends August at 3.28 inches compared to normal of .88 inches. Roughly 375% of normal and 4th wettest August in history. Very wet month in my area as well... just over 4 inches (and 6 inches in the last 5 weeks).

Impressively wet month around the central and south Sound and Cascade foothills.

You're late to the cool September party.

So stressed about stats at an airport.     The entire planet to worry about and literally every day is spent watching the temperature of the air at one thermometer in Portland, Oregon.    You would think a cold depature at an airport in say... Maine... or Ohio... or in Russia could offset the net effect on the globe when its too warm at PDX.     :)

Good point. Whenever Jesse or whoever gets down about the endless warm anomalies at PDX, they just need to find some cool anomalies in Mother Russia, and all will be well.

It's always snowing somewhere.  :wub:

I try to wait until the month starts to make judgement! But there is no denying a cool-looking September.

It was more in reference to your "heard it here first" comment. With your judgement pee-shyness, it's more like heard it here last! Hahahahahahahahahaha!

SEA ends August at 3.28 inches compared to normal of .88 inches.     Roughly 375% of normal and 4th wettest August in history.    Very wet month in my area as well... just over 4 inches (and 6 inches in the last 5 weeks).

And yet, there was only measurable precip on 6 days this month. Still lots of warm sunniness. I wonder if 2015 ended up as the sunniest summer on record, beating last year? The incredibly cloudless June certainly would go a long way towards that.

It was more in reference to your "heard it here first" comment. With your judgement pee-shyness, it's more like heard it here last! Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Yes... the comment was in jest and mocking my late announcement.

And yet, it there was only measurable precip on 6 days this month. Still lots of warm sunniness. I wonder if 2015 ended up as the sunniest summer on record, beating last year? The incredibly cloudless June certainly would go a long way towards that.

Certainly felt like the sunniest. And just like last year... a couple huge rain events in between all the sunshine for the Seattle area.

And yet, there was only measurable precip on 6 days this month. Still lots of warm sunniness. I wonder if 2015 ended up as the sunniest summer on record, beating last year? The incredibly cloudless June certainly would go a long way towards that.

My Vantage Pro2 keeps track of sunshine hours. May and June were both far sunnier this year than last, but July and August were much less sunny.

These numbers are a little unscientific because my station doesn't receive full sun for about half of the day, but the station wasn't moved in the last several years and nothing really changed in its surrroundings.

Hours of full sun

Month             2014                2015

May:                 97                   129

June:                90                   157

July:                 148                  107

August:            133                  95

Total:                468                  488

Jun-Aug:          371                  359

What I noticed about this August is that we had few or no 100% sunny days, and those days that were mostly sunny often had a lot of smoke reducing solar radiation, so that might explain some of the reduction in hours compared to last year.  I don't recall smoke being an issue at all last year.

• Like 1

My Vantage Pro2 keeps track of sunshine hours. May and June were both far sunnier this year than last, but July and August were much less sunny.

These numbers are a little unscientific because my station doesn't receive full sun for about half of the day, but the station wasn't moved in the last several years and nothing really changed in its surrroundings.

Hours of full sun

Month             2014                2015

May:                 97                   129

June:                90                   157

July:                 148                  107

August:            133                  95

Total:                468                  488

Jun-Aug:          371                  359

What I noticed about this August is that we had few or no 100% sunny days, and those days that were mostly sunny often had a lot of smoke reducing solar radiation, so that might explain some of the reduction in hours compared to last year.  I don't recall smoke being an issue at all last year.

Interesting. So it was almost certainly the sunniest May-Aug on record, but probably not the sunniest Jun-Aug, at least at your location.

Looking at other locations further south, it does look like last July/August were a little sunnier than this year, though not quite the difference you recorded. I'm sure the smoke this month did play a role in many places.

Interesting. So it was almost certainly the sunniest May-Aug on record, but probably not the sunniest Jun-Aug, at least at your location.

Looking at other locations further south, it does look like last July/August were a little sunnier than this year, though not quite the difference you recorded. I'm sure the smoke this month did play a role in many places.

Do SEA or PDX record sunshine? It seems like most stations up here have stopped recording it (likely due to cutbacks).

It does seem like areas down there saw a bit more sunshine than we did up here, but I'm just basing that on my impression from the posts on this forum.