May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

I would be a happy camper if the 18Z run verified entirely through 384 hours.

The only bad day would be Memorial Day... but we would have had 2 very warm days over the weekend so that would fine.   Then back to beautiful for another week.   :)

One can dream.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Thankfully this next round looks like it will absolutely soak the eastern half of King County.   Just where its most needed.   One of the few places consistently above normal for rain and snow for the last 7 months.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It moved toward the Euro though.

It was actually less robust with the trough next Sunday.

Here was the 12Z GFS:

gfs_z500a_namer_35.png

And the 18Z GFS... a little better up here.  

gfs_z500a_namer_34.png

Those are cherry picked frames. I reviewed both runs and the 12z GFS kept the trough much further offshore than the 18z.

Maybe.

I am not trying to cherry pick though.   I am specifically looking at each of the 3 weekend days on every run.   I like the 18Z run a little better.    Sunday stays warm... the 12Z showed it crashing early that day.  

I suspect this all a moot point... it will crash even faster than the models show now.   Always does.

Rain is really blossoming to the south and its started rain here once again.   After this moves through... the ECMWF shows the marine layer oozing back in and locking down until Monday afternoon with lots of drizzle during the day tomorrow.   

Obviously I want it to rain all week and next weekend too.   That would make perfect sense.    Very logical... must be evil to want something different.  :lol:

ATX_0.png

Only 7 out of the first 18 days of May managed to get above 70 at SEA.    11 days in the 60s and only 2 days above 80.

The nights have been warm... 14 out of 18 days with lows above 50.    The average low today is still 48.  

Only 7 out of the first 18 days of May managed to get above 70 at SEA.    11 days in the 60s and only 2 days above 80.

The nights have been warm... 14 out of 18 days with lows above 50.    The average low today is still 48.  

The way some people here act, you'd think we've just had a 3 week long heat wave with temps above 90 every day...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

The way some people here act, you'd think we've just had a 3 week long heat wave with temps above 90 every day...

That has never happened in history here...much less in May.

The fact that many places are running record warm/dry for the month to date speaks for itself. You seem to have a fairly poor grasp of climatology around here so it doesn’t surprise me that this is lost on you.

That has never happened in history here...much less in May.

The fact that many places are running record warm/dry for the month to date speaks for itself. You seem to have a fairly poor grasp of climatology around here so it doesn’t surprise me that this is lost on you.

My grasp of this climate is just fine.  We live next to a 62 million square mile body of water to our west at 47 degrees latitude (give or take a degree) -what's more to know?

Just started pouring rain here...

Only 7 out of the first 18 days of May managed to get above 70 at SEA. 11 days in the 60s and only 2 days above 80.

The nights have been warm... 14 out of 18 days with lows above 50. The average low today is still 48.

Even the highs you are describing are abnormally warm. You realize it’s only May right?

People complaining about cool and wet in an historically warm and dry month. Try to imagine if the shoe were on the other foot Tim. ;)

My grasp of this climate is just fine.  We live next to a 62 million square mile body of water to our west at 47 degrees latitude (give or take a degree) -what's more to know?

Just started pouring rain here...

Dumping rain here too... wet day. 

Even the highs you are describing are abnormally warm. You realize it’s only May right?

People complaining about cool and wet in an historically warm and dry month. Try to imagine if the shoe were on the other foot Tim. ;)

11 days in the 60s and 2 days in the 80s is not some kind of environmental catastrophe as its being portrayed.     

And by Monday we will have had a week straight of clouds up here.    Even a record warm May is not that great in terms of tangible weather.   That is sad.   Such is our climate. 

Just stop trying. No rationalization is possible. This has been going on since January, I give up.
  • Like 1

A cell just north of the CA border is kicking up lots of dust.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

High water from snowmelt doesn’t negate the huge negative precip anomalies the region is seeing this month. Maybe you aren’t trying to make that point but it seems like a handful of others have been.

No I wasn’t going for that angle.

Even the Thompson river was brown with mud, it’s crystal clear and beautiful during the summer. I saw somewhere the Fraser was forecast to crest at the highest level since ‘72.

Mostly sunny and 70 up at our cabin. Seems kind of dry. Our seasonal “stream” is dry.

• Like 1

Dumping rain here too... wet day. 

Dry and pleasant in the Willamette Valley  ;)

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

A moderate shower that kicked up a nearby dust storm to the south and SE. When this cell was a little further away, I heard a couple distant rumbles. This weakened right before coming overhead but the sky didn't appear that way.

XejCKYi.jpg

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

First fatal cougar attack in Washingon state since 1924 near North Bend today.

Saw that.  I bought a can of bear mace for back-country excursions.  Not sure why it wouldn't work on a big cat, that is, if you see it in time and it hasn't snuck up on you....  I remember hearing about a guy quite a long time ago hiking somewhere along the Elwha who was attacked by a cougar.  He was a wrestler in high school and managed to get the cat in a choke hold.  Can't quite remember how it ended, he obviously lived to tell about it...

Saw that. I bought a can of bear mace for back-country excursions. Not sure why it wouldn't work on a big cat, that is, if you see it in time and it hasn't snuck up on you.... I remember hearing about a guy quite a long time ago hiking somewhere along the Elwha who was attacked by a cougar. He was a wrestler in high school and managed to get the cat in a choke hold. Can't quite remember how it ended, he obviously lived to tell about it...

Sounds like that might have been a bit embellished. ;)

Yeah, the second guy ran which is the number one thing not to do. Act like prey and they will treat you like prey. I have thought many times what I would do if I were to have a big cat run in while hiking...basically make as much noise and act as bat crazy as possible to scare it away. Wave my arms, roar, throw rocks etc.

Of course that is all easy to say until you are in that situation.

Yeah, the second guy ran which is the number one thing not to do. Act like prey and they will treat you like prey. I have thought many times what I would do if I were to have a big cat run in while hiking...basically make as much noise and act as bat s**t crazy as possible to scare it away. Wave my arms, roar, throw rocks etc.

My first reaction would be to wrestle it..duh
  • Like 1

Yeah, the second guy ran which is the number one thing not to do. Act like prey and they will treat you like prey. I have thought many times what I would do if I were to have a big cat run in while hiking...basically make as much noise and act as bat s**t crazy as possible to scare it away. Wave my arms, roar, throw rocks etc.

Yeah, you want the cat to think you might be a danger to it.  I hear you never want to lose eye contact with a cougar, if you take your eyes off it, it will think that is it's opportunity to strike.

I actually found the article:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960527&slug=2331443

• Like 1

00Z GFS starts the crash on Friday afternoon... just in time for the holiday weekend.   It will probably move up a little more like every one of these scenarios with a ULL approaching from the south.   The models always dig them too deep and move them too slowly.   They end up in the PNW like a magnet.  

A week of clouds... maybe 3 warm days... then back to cloudy and probably wet.     Such an amazing month that is actually not so amazing.

So humid. :lol:

Better than the endless complaining on here about humidity when dewpoints are in the 40s!  

Dewpoints in the 40s are humid.   Very humid.   And soupy.   Don't try to argue.    :lol:

I am going to be very glad that I remembered to book those reservations on the other side of the mountains for next weekend.

Better than the endless complaining on here about humidity when dewpoints are in the 40s!

Dewpoints in the 40s are humid. Very humid. And soupy. Don't try to argue. :lol:

I highly doubt anyone here has claimed dewpoints in the 40s are humid.

And the vast majority of this forum would not consider a 61*F dewpoint to be humid, either.