Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Seasonal oddity? Foretelling?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
I saw something today that I dont think I remember ever seeing before. I pulled a wild onion sprout that was 7" tall. The problem here is that it isn't March or April, its almost September. I will admit also, that this is the weirdest summer I ever remember because it's the only one I know of that I can say almost anything about and it be true. I've had everything but snow and a hurricane I think. Lol. Has anyone noticed anything unusual in the last week to 10 days that falls into the weather lore category? I always enjoy these types of things even if folks think they're silly.
  • Niko, Tom, jaster220 and 1 other like this

LNK_Weather

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:27 AM

LNK_Weather

Apparently my posts are garbage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)
There's one tree species here that already has yellow leaves. They usually aren't even the first ones to change in the Fall.

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2018-2019: 10/14 (3.5")

Total Snowfall for 2018-2019 @ KLNK: 4.5"             Coldest Low: 9*F

First flake of the season: 10/14/2018 @ 7:01 AM CDT       

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 6 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 5 (Last: 9/20/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 9 (Last: 9/20/2018)

jaster220

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse January 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KJXN (work)

I saw something today that I dont think I remember ever seeing before. I pulled a wild onion sprout that was 7" tall. The problem here is that it isn't March or April, its almost September. I will admit also, that this is the weirdest summer I ever remember because it's the only one I know of that I can say almost anything about and it be true. I've had everything but snow and a hurricane I think. Lol. Has anyone noticed anything unusual in the last week to 10 days that falls into the weather lore category? I always enjoy these types of things even if folks think they're silly.

The Goldenrod is already blooming out. Perhaps a week or 2 early. It's more of a mid-Sept event around SWMI. You could add those numerous winter headlines in August as anomalous too imho. Kudos for the thread idea. I'm still waiting to see if squirrels migrate south as reported in the autumn of 1842 around Grand Rapids.. 

• Niko and Tom like this

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:33 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

The Goldenrod is already blooming out. Perhaps a week or 2 early. It's more of a mid-Sept event around SWMI. You could add those numerous winter headlines in August as anomalous too imho. Kudos for the thread idea. I'm still waiting to see if squirrels migrate south as reported in the autumn of 1842 around Grand Rapids..

Squirrels migrating? That's nuts! :lol:
  • jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
The poison ivy is so sappy/oily apparently that I don't even have to see it to get it this year also. That's different because usually at least I see it. Lol.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
Corn harvest is almost 2 weeks earlier than usual.
  • Tom likes this

CentralNebWeather

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
Have also seen some trees turning. It is not related to dry weather as we have been extremely wet all summer
  • jaster220 likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3586 posts
Yeah I drove to York today and saw multiple harvested corn fields. Never seen harvested corn fields in August here. I've seen it in Kansas where the season is longer, though.
  • Tom and CentralNebWeather like this

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CentralNebWeather

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:34 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Yeah I drove to York today and saw multiple harvested corn fields. Never seen harvested corn fields in August here. I've seen it in Kansas where the season is longer, though.

You are right. We played a football game in Geneva and corn was looking ready to harvest. Hope it means an early and hard winter. Need it after this long humid summer.

james1976

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:16 AM

james1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4292 posts
  • LocationAplington, IA
The locust were makin their noise way early this year. Around July 1st. A few trees are starting to turn around here. Good thread idea.

Niko

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:02 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5332 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

I am seeing more leaves changing colors much earlier this year than last couple of years.

Madtown

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:04 AM

Madtown

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts
Sumac seem to be changing here, seems early, but not sure.

jaster220

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:26 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

Sumac seem to be changing here, seems early, but not sure.

We had a bunch of Sumac get autumn colors two weeks ago along the freeways. Ends up, it was due to MDOT spraying chemicals. THANKS MDOT!! Lazy bunch o' Morons. I vote we get the tax paying, law-abiding public some healthier brush removal via putting the incarcerated to the task like they used to do. Oh wait, that'd be too much like real work.. :rolleyes:

OKwx2k4

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
This is awesome stuff!! Keep it going. Seeing a lot of things in other areas too. Guess it isn't just me then.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2160 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

This is awesome stuff!! Keep it going. Seeing a lot of things in other areas too. Guess it isn't just me then.

I agree. Great conversations. Corn harvest would’ve started around here today but the heavy rainfall has stopped that from happening.
  • jaster220 likes this

Madtown

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:06 AM

Madtown

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts
Saw one corn field getting chopped down yesterday over this way!

OKwx2k4

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

Saw one corn field getting chopped down yesterday over this way!

Corn 3 weeks early and being fully ready is so incredibly unusual. I worked in a mill for a long time that made a product that was priced based on corn. I dont remember ever seeing harvest come both so early and with expectation to be above average.

Folks who wait 3 more weeks might have some really frosty corn.

I was listening to a group of older gentlemen the other day talking about some birds and bird hunting that they used to do years ago. When my dad was young, there were large groups of quail and dove around the area. As the last 30 years or so have were on, many have went years without seeing any of them at all. In fact, I know I haven't flushed a full covey of quail since 1996. I heard dove hunters yesterday for the first time since I cannot remember when. I have saw a couple of quail per year over the past 2 years, and I have heard of folks that I grew up with planning some of their first quail hunts in a generation. It is really cool to see this stuff. I really dont know if it means a dang thing but I hope it does. :lol:
  • Niko likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:34 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
Seeing non-yellow flowers bloom in August here is not something I would consider normal either. There are many beautiful red trumpet flowers, dark purple wildflowers and even nightshades blooming again like they do in late June here.

Andie

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:26 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2415 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas
No trees changing, but more rain than usual for late Aug/Sept. after weeks of blistering heat.
Way early for us.
Texas weather is just not typical this year after about July 1st.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

OKwx2k4

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:45 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

No trees changing, but more rain than usual for late Aug/Sept. after weeks of blistering heat.
Way early for us.
Texas weather is just not typical this year after about July 1st.

Same here. Lots of things pointing to incredible changes down the road.

jaster220

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

Canadian Geese are already practicing their V-formation. Very early this year. Fuzzy caterpillars are everywhere.

Snagged, but not sure their exact location?

OKwx2k4

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:58 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

That is pretty early. Wonder how long before they start flying?

Tom

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:21 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17271 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

I saw a few flocks of geese over the weekend in V formation and thought the same thing.

OKwx2k4

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:39 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

I saw a few flocks of geese over the weekend in V formation and thought the same thing.

Hmmm. So if they're here (overhead) soon, they'll be a month or more early.
  • jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:41 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
Fixing to have a long heavy rainfall event in the autumn. I know what usually happens after those down here. :)

Tom

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:32 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17271 posts

Hmmm. So if they're here (overhead) soon, they'll be a month or more early.

All of that Canadian cold air building up in Canada is def impacting the wild life.  It'll be interesting watching what happens over the next couple weeks, esp how quick the leaves begin to turn color this year.  I can't wait for the cooler air to hit this weekend so that the "skeeter" population dwindles down a bit.  Holy macro are we getting infested over here!

• jaster220 likes this

westMJim

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:15 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1185 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

All of that Canadian cold air building up in Canada is def impacting the wild life.  It'll be interesting watching what happens over the next couple weeks, esp how quick the leaves begin to turn color this year.  I can't wait for the cooler air to hit this weekend so that the "skeeter" population dwindles down a bit.  Holy macro are we getting infested over here!

The "skeeter" population on this side of the lake is bad also. I think they are making up for how dry it was earlier in the summer. It will take a good frost to knock them down.  

• Tom and jaster220 like this

Tom

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:21 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17271 posts

The "skeeter" population on this side of the lake is bad also. I think they are making up for how dry it was earlier in the summer. It will take a good frost to knock them down.  

Ya, those pesky skeeters will prob live through the cool down this weekend, but by late next week, I think we will finally say good bye.  The very warm and wet first 10 days of Sept did the trick, esp across WI.  Check out this article regarding record amount of mosquitos: https://www.channel3...ember/796550410

gabel23

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:53 AM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

We don't really have that bad of a mosquito problem, which is surprising considering the amount of rain we have received this summer. Our main problem are these pesky little black bugs. I believe they are called pirate bugs; nothing works with keeping them away and they bite so dang bad! My middle child gets huge welts from them because she is so sensitive to them! Working in the garden is tough when these things are out in full force. 

jaster220

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:05 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

We're a month from the beginning of peak colors in the farmlands around SWMI. I have noticed that the low-lying marshy areas which support the red sugar maples are like little pockets of color among the green woodlands. These usually turn early and back in the mid-80's when we used to get direct early cold shots targeting this region, I remember seeing them turning in late August even. I call September the "golden month" around here because the Goldenrod blooms out, some kind of wild daisy flowers bloom yellow, and you begin to see yellow leafs on some trees. Oranges are usually seen in October as well as non-lowland reds. If we get a true cold snap with a frosty morning or two it'll go a long ways towards accelerating the seasonal changes of foliage. Had to wait until Oct 26th last year for our 1st frost (which was also our 1st freeze @ 26F). Leaf color was late and unimpressive because of that. And all those heavy rain systems didn't help with the color season either. Shouldn't be hard to improve on last year! 

• Tom likes this

jaster220

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:10 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

We don't really have that bad of a mosquito problem, which is surprising considering the amount of rain we have received this summer. Our main problem are these pesky little black bugs. I believe they are called pirate bugs; nothing works with keeping them away and they bite so dang bad! My middle child gets huge welts from them because she is so sensitive to them! Working in the garden is tough when these things are out in full force. 

Hmm..had not heard of 'em tbh

Attached File  Pirate Bugs..PNG   102.08KB   2 downloads

Madtown

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:10 AM

Madtown

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts
Article up here was said normly now a mosquito trap would have between 10 and 40 mosquitos....This past week....averaged 5000 with a high of 13000. It is out of control!

Niko

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:11 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5332 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

I have now noticed the birds that were flying here are literally gone. I remember when my sprinklers were on, they would go nuts trying to drink some water and get wet from the really hot weather. Now, they have disappeared. Its been more than a week or so.

• jaster220 likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:33 AM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3586 posts
I have gotten maybe 2 mosquito bites since the start of Spring. Definitely unusual.

gabel23

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:38 AM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

Hmm..had not heard of 'em tbh

attachicon.gifPirate Bugs..PNG

The are horrible and they are everywhere!!! 

james1976

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

james1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4292 posts
  • LocationAplington, IA

We call em 'no see ems' ! Lol cuz they are so tiny and yeah they will bite ya!
  • gabel23 likes this

jaster220

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:20 PM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

We call em 'no see ems' ! Lol cuz they are so tiny and yeah they will bite ya!

Oh, we have "no see-umms" here too by that name. But we aren't getting bitten that I've heard about anyways. We have another banner late blooming crop of "stink bugs" tho they're mostly harmless but can't fly for sh*t so you're likely to just get smacked in the face by one when it goes air-born. Like Turkeys, they seem to prefer walk-abouts over use of their wings. They keep the big spider under my flower box fed tho.. 

Niko

Posted 06 October 2018 - 04:27 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5332 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

I think birds flew south. Indicative of a cold Winter coming. :unsure:

LNK_Weather

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:40 AM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3586 posts
Plenty of Canadian geese here ATM. I don't think I've ever seen that many here at once.

jaster220

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:35 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

From Adam in the SMI forum. He's an Amateur Met as well as a tree raising SME, so I take his insights seriously. His call by reading nature nailed 2013-14 (and fwiw, he doesn't even mention Wooly-bears, lol)

We have been in a weak solar cycle for several years now ftw. I follow that religiously.

Take away all the techno talk and look at nature there are signs that haven't been there since 2013 for a pretty big and cold winter.

Many dense fogs from Aug to the end of September. Huge numbers of squirrels state wide that have been extremely active for over a month.

Anyone notice on those foggy dew filled mornings how many spider webs have been all over?. Huge acorn crop from the important Oaks (Burr Oaks).

Tons of Cotton seeds early on in the year as well as a bumper crop from most nut bearing trees. Spruce trees had no cones this year but the White Pines are overloaded.

Oct 2013 behaved much like this one has with unusual warmth and humidity. Lets talk about that moisture for a second. The entire summer minus a few days was exceptionally humid with average daily dews in the 68-72 degree range. Now keep a look at all the moisture that has been falling in the plains. Moist air won't be an issue and I would suggest even weak systems could produce significant amounts of precip this winter.

This winter might be a mixed bag of 14/15, 13/14 and 77/78.

• Tom and OKwx2k4 like this

OKwx2k4

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
That's awesome Jaster. Speaking of wooly bears, I saw an all black one. I haven't ever saw one before that didn't have a band on it so at first I didn't know what it was. Lol. Sure enough...wooly bear.
  • jaster220 likes this

jaster220

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

That's awesome Jaster. Speaking of wooly bears, I saw an all black one. I haven't ever saw one before that didn't have a band on it so at first I didn't know what it was. Lol. Sure enough...wooly bear.

Wow! I have no idea if there's any merit to the old adage tbh, but Mich Peeps swear there were a ton of solid black WB's across SMI 5 yrs ago. I hardly ever see one here at my city address, so I can't confirm 1st hand. Just via random social media posts and such.

jaster220

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:13 PM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

From Adam in the SMI forum. He's an Amateur Met as well as a tree raising SME, so I take his insights seriously. His call by reading nature nailed 2013-14 (and fwiw, he doesn't even mention Wooly-bears, lol)

As a comparison on a couple of the seasons in his tri-fecta

This is a county road a little bit inland from St. Joseph/Benton Harbor:

Attached File  Benton Twnshp Mich Jan '78 vs Jan '14.jpg   131.17KB   0 downloads

While the 2014 drift looks a bit higher? '78 appears to have an equally massive pile on both sides of the road. Jan '14 was a constant WSW wind like non-stop between systems and I'm sure that's reflected in the west side being much taller in that photo. Not saying we see this stuff again, but to quote Niko "nevva say nevva!"

• Tom likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:01 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

As a comparison on a couple of the seasons in his tri-fecta

This is a county road a little bit inland from St. Joseph/Benton Harbor:

Benton Twnshp Mich Jan '78 vs Jan '14.jpg

While the 2014 drift looks a bit higher? '78 appears to have an equally massive pile on both sides of the road. Jan '14 was a constant WSW wind like non-stop between systems and I'm sure that's reflected in the west side being much taller in that photo. Not saying we see this stuff again, but to quote Niko "nevva say nevva!"

I believe we will see those things again. And maybe greater things.
  • jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:07 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

Wow! I have no idea if there's any merit to the old adage tbh, but Mich Peeps swear there were a ton of solid black WB's across SMI 5 yrs ago. I hardly ever see one here at my city address, so I can't confirm 1st hand. Just via random social media posts and such.

I wish I'd have taken a picture of it. I think the last one I had found before was in 2013 or 2014 so that's strange also. It was the banded one. I like folklore. I think people sometimes miss the reasons behind some of it, which makes it wisdom if you can understand why something had become repeatable enough to become a saying or expression.
  • jaster220 likes this

jaster220

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:09 PM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

Guess I missed this report yesterday. MQT NWS had 1.5" of SNOW Friday.

They usually get a "T" or "dab" this early, but not that kind of accumulation. It's early, even by their stds!

Article:

https://www.mlive.co...art_river_index

Pretty funny comment by a "Troll" (one of us who lives under the bridge..in case Niko was unaware)

Sorry weather gods, you will have to do this stuff in the proper order. First the trees turn colors and look pretty, then they fall and we get crisp days, then I put them all in bags while exercising my 4 letter vocab and smiling for the neighbors. We have no song about a white Thanksgiving. Please maintain the proper order - no snow shoveling in the lower till Dec.

• Niko and Tom like this

OKwx2k4

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:07 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

They usually get a "T" or "dab" this early, but not that kind of accumulation. It's early, even by their stds!

Article:

Pretty funny comment by a "Troll" (one of us who lives under the bridge..in case Niko was unaware)

Lol. That fella must not love snow. I'd take a snowy day in July if I could get one. :lol:
  • jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:16 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5332 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Article:

;)

• jaster220 likes this

jaster220

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5177 posts

I think this could go in here. Two potent tropical cyclones with a snowstorm in progress. Something you don't see on every day's weather map

Attached File  20181009 18Z gfs_mslp_h36.png   190.63KB   0 downloads

• Tom and Hawkeye like this

OKwx2k4

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

I think this could go in here. Two potent tropical cyclones with a snowstorm in progress. Something you don't see on every day's weather map

20181009 18Z gfs_mslp_h36.png

Fire and ice. I like it.
  • jaster220 likes this