Jump to content
The Weather Forums

June 2022 - Summer Begins


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, snow drift said:

I would thank La Niña. It's ye olde La Niña spring. I expected something similar last year, but it never happened.

Definitely La Niña as well. Though Tonga actually might be the reason the El Niña transition failed and the Niña restrengthened last minute. Any research is preliminary but the timing fits the eruption perfectly.

  • Like 4
  • Snow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

12z Euro is going places, though. Verbatim this could be rushed, but I’m feeling some top notch troughing/-PNA later in June. MJO/AAM looks good. 

9C5CE4B4-58E9-4019-8181-2AA12F8B0620.png

I swear, if it snows in mid June…😬

  • lol 5
  • Sad 1
  • Snow 1

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 119.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16"

Highest snow depth: 20"

Coldest high: -5ºF

Coldest low: -25ºF

Number of subzero days: 1

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

12z Euro is going places, though. I’m feeling some top notch troughing/-PNA for the second half of June. MJO/AAM look good. 

9C5CE4B4-58E9-4019-8181-2AA12F8B0620.png

I don't consider June to be a summer month. It's more of an extension of spring. In most years, we're still trying to shake off the jet stream hangover from our wet season. September is drier, just about as warm, and far less stormy. September is our 3rd summer month behind July and August.

  • Like 1
  • Snow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 minute ago, snow drift said:

I don't consider June to be a summer month. It's more of an extension of spring. In most years, we're still trying to shake off the jet stream hangover from our wet season. September is drier, just about as warm, and far less stormy. September is our 3rd summer month behind July and August.

Same here. Front Ranger will be with you in a moment though...

  • lol 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, snow drift said:

Maybe August snow this year, a la 1992?

If we see June snow AND August snow I might lose it.

I’d love to see a cool and variable summer again though!

  • lol 2
  • Sad 1

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 119.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16"

Highest snow depth: 20"

Coldest high: -5ºF

Coldest low: -25ºF

Number of subzero days: 1

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Sure, but those few meters are a few thousand years at least. Choosing to create a crisis in the very near future just because one would happen in some thousands of years anyhow is stucking fupid.

I agree, of course. We should do what we can to avoid a near term crisis, and use the experience to develop a game plan for the next one. We have several millennia to prepare, no excuse for failure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
4 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

PDX at 70 degrees for the 1pm reading.

CAN THEY DO IT? I believe it's 72 at SLE, it could happen today...

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
7 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

PDX at 70 degrees for the 1pm reading.

Now tied with several years for the earliest 70 degree June max on record.

  • Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1
  • Troll 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Euro continues to impress me with these wet runs. Meanwhile despite the clouds it’s pretty nice out…67 degrees. 

12z EPS predicts happy trees.

F7DBAD21-22E3-4B29-97D2-FC0D316B3556.png

  • Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Kayla said:

If we see June snow AND August snow I might lose it.

I’d love to see a cool and variable summer again though!

I could handle Billings, but Bozeman or Butte would be a tall order. Elevation is a killer. I was over there in June 1992 at the Little Bighorn. It was not warm. I wore shorts anyway. I was in Butte in July 1993. We were scraping our windshield. I would honestly consider moving over to Billings though. I like it over there.

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

12z EPS predicts happy trees.

F7DBAD21-22E3-4B29-97D2-FC0D316B3556.png

Yes... the trees in western WA and SW BC definitely need much more rain to survive where the wettest anomalies are shown.   They have been suffering immensely since September being inundated with rain.    It so important to get more rain.   Water being dumped on a sopping wet sponge.   😃

  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 6

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... the trees in western WA and SW BC definitely need much more rain to survive where the wettest anomalies are shown.   They have been suffering immensely since September being inundated with rain.    It so important to get more rain.   Water being dumped on a sopping wet sponge.   😃

It's one extreme to the other. Spring 2021 was inordinately sunny and dry. This year we get to experience the polar opposite. Honestly, we could use the rain over here. January-March was rather dry. I think areas west of the Cascades have had enough though.😉😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
11 minutes ago, Phil said:

12z EPS predicts happy trees.

F7DBAD21-22E3-4B29-97D2-FC0D316B3556.png

I see this and just feel blessed.

  • Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Rain 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I think the only thing that was missing was some big time thunderstorms…maybe we can manage some here in June. 

My wife is currently in Viet Nam visiting family and called me at 3am (here) Monday morning because the skies were "not happy" and she was also scared. I could hear the pouring rain and lightning every few seconds 🤣 Then of course she proceeded to not let me sleep at all because she knows I'm a weather geek. 😡

I would love to experience that. 

  • Like 5
  • Storm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

My wife is currently in Viet Nam visiting family and called me at 3am (here) Monday morning because the skies were "not happy" and she was also scared. I could hear the pouring rain and lightning every few seconds 🤣 Then of course she proceeded to not let me sleep at all because she knows I'm a weather geek. 😡

I would love to experience that. 

The South is like that. Instability thunderstorms happen everyday during the summer. All that Tropical air is hot, moist, and unstable. None of them are particularly severe, but they can drop a lot of rain in a short time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, snow drift said:

The South is like that. Instability thunderstorms happen everyday during the summer. All that Tropical air is hot, moist, and unstable. None of them are particularly severe, but they can drop a lot of rain in a short time.

I don't know how anyone can deal with 75-80 degrees nights with 90-100% humidity. Now that's disgusting. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I don't know how anyone can deal with 75-80 degrees nights with 90-100% humidity. Now that's disgusting. 

Its called AC. 

I don't think you are sleeping outside with 40-degree windswept rain here in the winter either.    Pretty inhospitable out there.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I don't know how anyone can deal with 75-80 degrees nights with 90-100% humidity. Now that's disgusting. 

The body acclimates but it takes time. And it wears you down physically. I definitely don’t sleep as well, and feel generally drained during the dog days of summer.

By the time I’ve adjusted to it, it’s usually mid/late August. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 minute ago, Phil said:

The body acclimates but it takes time. And it wears you down physically. I definitely don’t sleep as well, and feel generally drained during the dog days of summer.

By the time I’ve adjusted to it, it’s usually mid/late August. 

When I lived in Oklahoma I got pretty used to it. I generally hate heat, but if you accept it and are in good physical shape (As I was in my early 20s), it's not to big of a deal. I used to love running a mile or two around dusk and working up a good sweat. I would probably die of a heart attack if I tried that now. 

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC. 

I don't think you are sleeping outside with 40-degree windswept rain here in the winter either.    Pretty inhospitable out there.    

Can’t stay indoors 24/7. And AC costs money..unaffordable to keep the house under 75 all day (especially now).

We usually crank the AC at night to take advantage of the lack of solar radiation and to sleep better. But during the day we have to set it around 76 or 77 to avoid a gargantuan electric bill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Can’t stay indoors 24/7. And AC costs money..unaffordable to keep the house under 75 all day (especially now).

We usually crank the AC at night to take advantage of the lack of solar radiation and to sleep better. But during the day we have to set it around 76 or 77 to avoid a gargantuan electric bill.

Usually sleeping inside at night in a climate controlled environment... like we do all winter here.  

  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I don't know how anyone can deal with 75-80 degrees nights with 90-100% humidity. Now that's disgusting. 

A lot of people go from their home with A/C to their car with A/C to the grocery store/restaurant/office with A/C.  It's not so bad then LOL!!

Those that don't have A/C spend a lot of time at their community pool or swimming hole.  As a broke college student, I spent a lot of time sitting in a bathtub filled with cool water.  I used an upside down milk crate as a side table, and most of my books had some degree of water damage from dozing off while reading 🙄  

I lived in a duplex with cinder block walls and no insulation.  I had a old inefficient window AC in the wall, but I could feel the dollar bills flying out of my wallet any time I turned it on, so I didn't.  I had 2/55 A/C in my car and I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen with a huge griddle, so I just adapted.  My circle of friends invested in super soakers and we had some epic water gun fights.  For sleeping, I would take a cold shower then lay on top of the covers with a fan blowing across me.  I would usually find my way under the top sheet at some point during the night but that was it.

When all is said and done, you ultimately adapt.  While a lot of people up here bust out shorts when it gets into the 50's, people in Florida are putting on large down coats, at the same temp.

 

All that said, yeah its disgusting, and that is the primary reason this Georgia boy has lived here since 1994 and now calls himself a Pacific North Westerner. 

  • Like 2
  • scream 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC

I don't think you are sleeping outside with 40-degree windswept rain here in the winter either.    Pretty inhospitable out there.    

Duh?  Maybe you don't know this  but 80% of the Vietnamese population in VN don't have AC. If you have AC you're considered a "rich" -- welcome to 3rd world.  🤣

  • Like 1
  • Sick 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

When I lived in Oklahoma I got pretty used to it. I generally hate heat, but if you accept it and are in good physical shape (As I was in my early 20s), it's not to big of a deal. I used to love running a mile or two around dusk and working up a good sweat. I would probably die of a heart attack if I tried that now. 

Yeah the body adjusts, some faster than others. I’ve learned to manage by doing high intensity exercise during the spring months, and spending lots of time outdoors on warm spring days. Get used to sweating early and often.

But I still feel it. Cannot imagine living somewhere like Phoenix or Houston. Or even coastal GA, which I love to death, but man oh man it’s brutal there.

  • Storm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

A lot of people go from their home with A/C to their car with A/C to the grocery store/restaurant/office with A/C.  It's not so bad then LOL!!

Those that don't have A/C spend a lot of time at their community pool or swimming hole.  As a broke college student, I spent a lot of time sitting in a bathtub filled with cool water.  I used an upside down milk crate as a side table, and most of my books had some degree of water damage from dozing off while reading 🙄  

I lived in a duplex with cinder block walls and no insulation.  I had a old inefficient window AC in the wall, but I could feel the dollar bills flying out of my wallet any time I turned it on, so I didn't.  I had 2/55 A/C in my car and I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen with a huge griddle, so I just adapted.  My circle of friends invested in super soakers and we had some epic water gun fights.  For sleeping, I would take a cold shower then lay on top of the covers with a fan blowing across me.  I would usually find my way under the top sheet at some point during the night but that was it.

When all is said and done, you ultimately adapt.  While a lot of people up here bust out shorts when it gets into the 50's, people in Florida are putting on large down coats, at the same temp.

 

All that said, yeah its disgusting, and that is the primary reason this Georgia boy has lived here since 1994 and now calls himself a Pacific North Westerner. 

Ahh the good ‘ole ice shower. A dog day tradition.

Though sometimes the tap water comes out lukewarm. 😂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC. 

I don't think you are sleeping outside with 40-degree windswept rain here in the winter either.    Pretty inhospitable out there.    

Personally, I sleep with the heat off and the window open in my bedroom year-round (& lots of blankets in the winter).

Every so often during a cold wave I close the window then inevitably end up opening it again because it feels stuffy and I can’t fall/stay asleep.

  • Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

When I lived in Oklahoma I got pretty used to it. I generally hate heat, but if you accept it and are in good physical shape (As I was in my early 20s), it's not to big of a deal. I used to love running a mile or two around dusk and working up a good sweat. I would probably die of a heart attack if I tried that now. 

That used to be how I was but about 5 years ago I was carrying a heavy pack in 90+ temps in eastern Oregon one July afternoon, and thought I was fine, but ended up getting borderline heat stroke and taking 36 hours to recover. Ever since then I’ve adjusted my behaviour to be heat averse. If it’s hot, I minimize physical activity.

  • Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
40 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC. 

I don't think you are sleeping outside with 40-degree windswept rain here in the winter either.    Pretty inhospitable out there.    

It’s called an umbrella.

  • Like 3
  • lol 2
  • scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I don't know how anyone can deal with 75-80 degrees nights with 90-100% humidity. Now that's disgusting. 

It takes a least a summer to acclimate if you didn't grow up in a humid climate. My heat tolerance is still pretty decent. I tolerated last summer in Spokane Valley without air conditioning. It wasn't always pleasant though.😁

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

69 here…should get to 70 for the 3rd time this year soon. 

Clouds really thickening up now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah the body adjusts, some faster than others. I’ve learned to manage by doing high intensity exercise during the spring months, and spending lots of time outdoors on warm spring days. Get used to sweating early and often.

But I still feel it. Cannot imagine living somewhere like Phoenix or Houston. Or even coastal GA, which I love to death, but man oh man it’s brutal there.

I still marvel at how I managed to work agriculture in July, and August in a warehouse  near the Georgia/Florida border.  During heat waves it would hit 120-130 in the warehouse.  We spent a lot of time in front of the giant floor fan and dumped water over our heads.  I guess it boils down to....as someone else said....youth....

It got to the point where they could not get people to work the fields and had to buy machines to do the work.  The machines did not do as good a job as people did, but it was better than nothing.

 

Currently 72 outside and we have the A/C on. My wife and I both work upstairs, and it gets quite stuffy without it.  It's not having to work too hard though...

  • scream 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah the body adjusts, some faster than others. I’ve learned to manage by doing high intensity exercise during the spring months, and spending lots of time outdoors on warm spring days. Get used to sweating early and often.

But I still feel it. Cannot imagine living somewhere like Phoenix or Houston. Or even coastal GA, which I love to death, but man oh man it’s brutal there.

Coastal Georgia is horrible. I spent 10-12 hrs a day in the motor pool at Ft Stewart. I got in trouble one time, and I got assigned extra duty. I was stuck in a drainage ditch with a sling blade cutting weeds in July. Whatever I did wrong, I promise I'll never do it again.

  • lol 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

The Office Boom GIF

Umbrella... furnace... AC... all the same.   Ways to mitigate nature's unpleasantness.    Although we use the furnace all winter every year, I can't remember the last time I used an umbrella.  😃

  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

The hell is this popping up on my computer, I thought we were supposed to be dry today!! 

1091B67E-7B97-4319-8CC3-173AE8AF0086.jpeg

  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

A lot of people go from their home with A/C to their car with A/C to the grocery store/restaurant/office with A/C.  It's not so bad then LOL!!

Those that don't have A/C spend a lot of time at their community pool or swimming hole.  As a broke college student, I spent a lot of time sitting in a bathtub filled with cool water.  I used an upside down milk crate as a side table, and most of my books had some degree of water damage from dozing off while reading 🙄  

I lived in a duplex with cinder block walls and no insulation.  I had a old inefficient window AC in the wall, but I could feel the dollar bills flying out of my wallet any time I turned it on, so I didn't.  I had 2/55 A/C in my car and I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen with a huge griddle, so I just adapted.  My circle of friends invested in super soakers and we had some epic water gun fights.  For sleeping, I would take a cold shower then lay on top of the covers with a fan blowing across me.  I would usually find my way under the top sheet at some point during the night but that was it.

When all is said and done, you ultimately adapt.  While a lot of people up here bust out shorts when it gets into the 50's, people in Florida are putting on large down coats, at the same temp.

 

All that said, yeah its disgusting, and that is the primary reason this Georgia boy has lived here since 1994 and now calls himself a Pacific North Westerner. 

I spent some quality time in Georgia. Summer is treasured in Spokane, but I feared it in Georgia. I moved back from Georgia in August many years ago. I spent most of that August in Spokane. At the time, I could tolerate Spokane's summer weather with the windows closed, no fans on, and zero air conditioning.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

The hell is this popping up on my computer, I thought we were supposed to be dry today!! 

1091B67E-7B97-4319-8CC3-173AE8AF0086.jpeg

Its coming up from the south... going to rain this evening.

  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...